Head Count / Raid Size / CPU / Lag

Started by Aleaesaest, December 15, 2017, 08:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleaesaest

Hello,

I google/looked around for that question, but could not find an actual answer to it.

Is there any way to limit the headcount / size of a raid without limiting the wealth of the base?

I play Rimworld mostly because I like to build huge bases and don't care to much about winning/fairness etc.
Due to that, my bases tend to get quite rich - resulting in insanely huge raids. The last one left about 70 corpses, after I took around 20 prisoners. A lot of the attackers already got burned at that point, so the total raid size was even bigger.

The problem is:
This amount of pawns entering the map causes quite some lag.
In a cold biome, the game desperately tries to assign warm clothes to everyone and stops for several minutes (or crashes).
Additionally, with >fair< methods such a raid is unbeatable and I have to rely on rather cheesy methods. The main problem is the lag, though.

So, is there any way to limit the size? Some mod or setting?

cyberian

Afaik there is a raid point budget and you can only reduce headcount by reducing that budget through altering the factors that increase it like reducing wealth or changing difficulty.

This guy https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4948.msg47794#msg47794
made a short guide on how to change your savegame so you get lower raid value by lowering the <challengeScale> multiplier.

Aleaesaest

Thank you for your reply.

Not sure if that is what is needed. Part of it is obsolete, as the story teller can be changed in the ingame menu now.

An actual limit for the raid size is needed.

I noticed this thread was from 2014 - the problem seems not to be new :-I

Canute

The difficult setting of the storyteller adjust the strenght of the raids too.
You can even change the difficult during gameplay, just open the option, "Choose Storyteller"
And even with "Peaceful" you shouldn't encounter any raids, just minor accidents.

Aleaesaest

I don't mind the raid - I actually like them

I just mind the sheer size of them - hundreds of attackers are to much for the engine.

Even in lower difficulties there will be thus many, if the base is wealthy enough.

Canute

Sorry but then i need to say,
wait for one of the further Rimworld releases with 64bit and multithread support.
Until this happen, you shouldn't made that big bases.

Mday

I switch to peaceful in late game. Not because I can't deal with the enemy spam, but because I run out of room to store all the loots my enemy brings me. It makes the late game more enjoyable for me.

PS: Trade ship and useful late game stuff for trade should really appear more often as your wealth increase. I can afford ridiculous prices if it means I don't have to keep making room for more and more silver stacks.