[B18](WIP) Harry Dick's Add Ons

Started by Harry_Dicks, January 28, 2018, 04:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

Hello, I have been working on a mod that will allow the player to construct multiple add ons for different production buildings that will increase work speed. After having so many bases, and starting to save a shit ton of room (no longer 2/3 of base is stockpiles) by getting the mods Extended Storage and Mass Storage, I started thinking that some areas of my base seemed a little barren. I was also heavily inspired by the mod More Linkables, which I discovered after trying to find a solution to my issue.

I took the idea it started, and expanded upon it greatly. So far, the add ons I have created are fully functioning and all have their own technology they come from, one of 5 researches, and you cannot have more than one of them per kind per workbench. These function just like the vanilla toolbox, in that these add ons may connect to many workbenches each, but each workbench may only connect to 1 of each different add on. That means, for example in your industrial work area, you can have your machining table now hooked up to a lathe, sawmill, electronics table, and tool calibration table, in addition to the vanilla toolbox. The total increase to work speed varies per workbench, but the overall speed increase is usually around 30-40% once all of the add ons are linked. I think this is a fair value without being too crazy overpowered, especially when you compare it to what you can easily achieve work speed wise with just a few bionics for your colonists. If someone really wants to get that out of their game, then sure let them, but that is not the idea in mind when creating this mod. I am running about 150 mods now myself (without about 30 smaller ones I have gobbled up into my own creation) but I still want things to feel pretty vanilla and not get too crazy. I would like to think of the idea behind this mod being that I want the majority of people to feel like it is vanilla and lore friendly, nothing too crazy, but gives some great value in that you can further increase the aesthetics of your colonists' work areas, some of the places they spend the majority of their time!

These are the add ons I have up and running so far

Basic Workshops: Lathe, Sawmill
Advanced Workshops: Electronics Table, Tool Calibration Table
Kitchen: Utensils Cupboard, Oven, Canning Station
Chemical Production: Hops Prep Table (brewery), Drug Synthesizer (drug lab), Chemistry Station (both)
Hi-Tech Research Table: Mass Spectrometer, Cloud Receiver, Advanced Multianalyzer

Right now I am using all textures I have taken from different mods. I am hoping that any decent artist that would like to contribute any artwork to this project might come along. If anyone is willing to make the artwork for most add ons, then I would be willing to put them into the mod. My plan is over the next few days to try and contact any authors of textures I am using to ask permission if I may use them. If I cannot, then I will have to put in a new placeholder texture, or temporarily remove the specific add on until I can use a new texture. Some of the ones I am already using, like the kitchen cupboard, I only have for 1 direction. If I can receive permission to use and/or modify it, then an artist would only need to make a side and back view for it, not too bad when you have the first direction finished for you.

This is also going to be my first mod release ever, so I am sure I will fumble some things along the way. Any help that's received from anyone throughout this process will be doubly appreciated.

Any ideas and/or criticism is explicitly welcomed. Tell me what you think works, what doesn't, what's awesome, what isn't, what needs fixing, why don't I add this, what about that, why my mom's fat, why your mom's fat, etc.

Placeholder screenshots of the work so far, forgot to take one of the researches, but they're there, I promise! ;)

Kitchens

Research Area

Industrial Area

Workspeed Bonus

Drug Lab and Brewery

NOTE TO ANYONE WANTING TO CONTRIBUTE ART:

Any artist are highly encouraged to submit their workbench linkable/add ons. Just ask yourself if it sounds like it would belong in RimWorld before devoting the time into making it.

Please feel free to remake any of the add ons I have posted in this thread, and for style I would go for as vanilla as possible. That's the only look I really care about, just don't want anything that looks too crazy or stands out. I want it to look like a sawmill or lathe belong in the workshop area, or the oven and utensil cupboards belong in the kitchen :)

Really, anything anyone wants to contribute that seems like it would be an appropriate linkable/add on for any of the workbenches in RimWorld, please feel free to contribute the art. If anyone makes the art for any semi reasonable sounding additions, then I will be more than happy to make the code for them and include it in the mod :)

Also, worst case scenario I will take any textures I can get in only one direction. However, if you only plan on making one texture per object, please make it so this object will look decent no matter which way it is rotated. Remember, RimWorld is an inconsistent 2.5D world, but we don't want things to look backwards, like how my utensils cupboard is for the kitchen. I only have one model of it, so if it is rotated, you still see the drawers, and it looks like crap. However something like the research bench linkables look alright no matter which way they are rotated.

Any contributions will be greatly appreciated, as I am horrible at art! All artist will receive full credits with links to any of their work if they would like it. Thanks! :)

wwWraith

Hmm, the one thing that confuses me: are you sure that lathe and sawmill will help you to tailor things?.. ;)

(btw you can try to use Alt+PrtScr instead of just PrtScr for making screenshots)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Harry_Dicks

Yeah, I still need to go through and do some fine tuning and polish a lot of stuff. I wanted to at least "finish" the rough draft of the mod though, and prove I could complete it to myself ;)

Also, I just downloaded Gadwin Prinstscreen, it is actually perfect for what I was looking for. A install and forget screenshot program, that will automatically save new screenshots as a png to whatever folder I designate in whatever format I tell it. I will probably get a more advanced one that has some built in editing software later, but this was just to get me going! ;D

SzQ

Hello Harry
That brown stone floor on third picture, where is it coming from?
It  reminds me the Temple from Fallout 2.

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: SzQ on January 28, 2018, 10:27:51 PM
Hello Harry
That brown stone floor on third picture, where is it coming from?
It  reminds me the Temple from Fallout 2.

It is sandstone tile. I think it might be from a combination of T's More Floors, and Fluffy's Stuffed Floors.

T's mods - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4373.0
Fluffy's mods - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16120.0

Both of them make great mods. All of Fluffy's are very professional and must haves for me, along with T's Floors :)

SzQ

Thanks! Somehow i missed Fluffy's stuff. They look just awesome. It always felt like there's no proper floors to make kind of personalized rooms and diversed paths. Finally my collonists will have something nice to lie on while bleeding of.

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

WalkingProblem

You can add "width=600" after the "[img" so that your screenshots can fit into the post...because hard to see now.

And that name.... i think a lot of people will download because they thought the mod is about some dicks... LOL

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Walking Problem on January 29, 2018, 01:26:35 AM
You can add "width=600" after the "[img" so that your screenshots can fit into the post...because hard to see now.

And that name.... i think a lot of people will download because they thought the mod is about some dicks... LOL

I tried making it look like this, according to your post, you made it look like I should edit this inside of the bracket, but it did not work for me :-\

You can post formats for this forum inside of code quote thing so that way you can show what you mean ;)

Kitchens
[imgwidth=600]https://imgur.com/wm0vyyv.png[/img]

wwWraith

The space ;)
[img width=600]https://imgur.com/wm0vyyv.png[/img]
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Harry_Dicks

Woohoo, thanks guys. Told ya I'd fumble some stuff along the way. ;)

Harry_Dicks

A sneak peak at some other stuff I have been working on.

WalkingProblem

Harry_Dicks

Some colored marbled floors. I think I will still need to tone down the saturation on them. Funny enough, I have the pink one named "Cosmic" ;) Also have been changing glowstone to red, and making Zen Garden into a Blood Zen Garden! ;D Today I might work on one more project I want to start - expanding upon the Effigy mod, or at least make my own mod but with objects similar to the effigy. Heads on spikes, or skulls dangling from an arch, or a "bone throne" (similar to the sword throne from GoT, but spooky) stuff like that. However, I am horrible at art :(

About the floors - I felt like there weren't any mods with any of the colors or look that I wanted, so I wanted to make a colored marble floor mod. I will expand upon it before I release it, probably. Maybe it won't be only marbled floors. Or I could have a "vibrant" and "calm" color sections. I'd also like a few different colors of brown for wood floors. A couple different browns, maybe slightly darker, not too light. Going to look at Architect Sense and Stuffed Floors to see if I could make anything work with their groupings.

wwWraith

Have you checked Pick a Color!?

Also, one way to find something more universal than lathe or sawmill: think about something applying not for the jobs directly, but for various tools used in it. For example, a grinder will be useful for nearly every job.

(and once more, probably I had to speak more clearly in the previous post: Alt+PrtScr copies only the contents of your active window into the clipboard so you'll not get a part of your desktop in your screenshots. If you are using an external program, probably it has a setting to do it this way, too)

Harry_Dicks

If you choose to believe it: I was in the middle of working on the floors mod and adjusting colors, when I refreshed the releases page and saw that it was updated... :-\

EDIT: I'm also using gemstones that the floors are made from. Ruby, sapphire, emerald, etc. Still not sure how I feel about my mod now that I saw Pick a Color! come out.