What's the most lacking part of Rimworld for you, and how would you improve it?

Started by Call me Arty, February 13, 2018, 03:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyan

A good tie-in with an overhaul of the caravan system would be vehicles.

The simplest would be a wooden cart or wheelbarrow that you could build (pulled by humans or animals) that could be taken to the next map over for quick resource gathering missions.  The more complex would be vehicles powered by chemfuel or some kind of strange mechanoid contraptions that could travel long distances.

Fits in well with the wild west theme and I think it would make combat more dynamic as well.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Cyan on March 22, 2018, 12:08:58 PM
A good tie-in with an overhaul of the caravan system would be vehicles.
. . .
Fits in well with the wild west theme and I think it would make combat more dynamic as well.

I still want some crazy apex Spaghetti Sci-Fi vehicle, like the ability to lay tracks for your nuclear steam engine. . . but that's probably skipping a couple essential steps.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Maverik

What I feel most lacking in the game is a greater life from the factions, more interaction and actions with respect to them, for example I would like to see new colonies being founded, that the raids be closely related to your neighbors, establish watch-towers for foresee the raids, add a "hospitality" system as in the famous and indispensable mod, and many other things.

Teovald

I have not played in a while so excuse me if this has changed in the last versions of the game : 

The combat system is the most lacking part for me. 

Leave a melee pawn alone in a combat situation ? It will let itself die 2 cells from attackers it could have exterminated. 

AI has 100 % knowledge of the situation, so it is impossible to create ambushes. 
I have tried several times to take 2 or 3 skilled pawns and make them circle a mountain in order to attack the raiders from their rear. Nope, does not work, they move into new positions way before they could naturally see that I am doing a maneuver. 

ranged combat feels a lot like placing your pawns as best as you can and then wait for them to roll dices. 
It create some stories from the random injuries they get but it feels very static.

Headshotkill

Unfortunatly for all of us posting in this thread, the fact we almost all have different priorities on what should be added to the game for completion means it's likely non of it will be added. Only a feature that would've resonated with half the community could have had a chance.

But hey, look on the bright side, if Rimworld stops getting large modbreaking updates then we might see a large boom in new mods that will adress our wishes.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Headshotkill on March 23, 2018, 08:48:08 AM
Unfortunatly for all of us posting in this thread, the fact we almost all have different priorities on what should be added to the game for completion means it's likely non of it will be added. Only a feature that would've resonated with half the community could have had a chance.

Sssh, not, each and every post in this thread is going to get added, it's magic!
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Elixiar

-Diplomacy and deeper faction interaction as well as no faction groups.
-Way more incidents/ events.
-Water interaction like boats for world travel or irritgation for farms.
-Overhauled Melee combat.
-More things going on in the world view like what other factions are up to.

Diplomacy is the most important for me.
It's the last part of the game that feels really sparse in depth where'as water potential feels wasted or unexplored.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Bozobub

Quote from: Headshotkill on March 23, 2018, 08:48:08 AM

But hey, look on the bright side, if Rimworld stops getting large modbreaking updates then we might see a large boom in new mods that will adress our wishes.
You DO realize Tynan has responded in this thread, right?  Whether or not any specific change happens, at least you know he's seen what people have to say.  It's difficult to develop in a vacuum ::).
Thanks, belgord!

Ultratrinitor

Do you know when a pawn is doing a job, and suddenly stops and leave to another place to do another job without finish the first.. I hate this, It happens to me in real life and I thing it's about focus.. First my question: is it ruled in some trait? if not why? is something like focus skills in vanilla core? is there some mod which can do that?  If not.. WHY? (I can understand you need to piss when you are farming, but please, continue what you were doing, dont start a parca)

Bozobub

Quote from: Ultratrinitor on March 24, 2018, 08:07:30 PM
Do you know when a pawn is doing a job, and suddenly stops and leave to another place to do another job without finish the first.. I hate this, It happens to me in real life and I thing it's about focus.. First my question: is it ruled in some trait? if not why? is something like focus skills in vanilla core? is there some mod which can do that?  If not.. WHY? (I can understand you need to piss when you are farming, but please, continue what you were doing, dont start a parca)
This is a common complaint in the latest version.  I'm willing to bet it's addressed in the next, along with skills in general, although I have no special knowledge on the subject ^^'.
Thanks, belgord!

Mihsan

Combat.

I want combats to be less clumsy/dull and give more options to player, be more tactical, have more features.

What I would like to change:
- Add "shoot on the move" feature - it alone can revolutionize how combat will feel in this game.
- Add firing modes to pawns (aimed/sniper fire; normal fire; quick fire; area supression). Those modes should affect stats like rate of fire, hit chance, weaken or raise influence of cover on hit chance.
- Add firing modes to weapons (single shots / short bursts / long bursts) where applicable.
- Add behavior modes to pawns ("stay low" - use cover more and fire less; "careless" - use cover less and fire more; "charge!" - switch pawn to aggressive mode, make him walk towards enemy and shoot).
- Add ammo. NOT like physical resource that you need to manage (which is really too much fuss), but as limited magazine sizes after which pawns will have to take reload pauses. Great story moment of "last pirate was reloading and we chaged him then".
- Add inventory system with multiple weapons (like SMG in hands, rocket launcher behind back and knife on the belt) and secondary items/tools (grenades, explosives, bandages, deployable cover...). Also grenades (and pilas) should go away as "weapon with infinite ammo" and be limited use secondary items instead.
- Add formations to AI raids: that thing with "crowd of idiots cassualy walking into killbox" for every raid from wild animals to high-tech future robots should go away. Industrial era enemy should walk as single unit in single formation; it should spread out to limit loses from mortars, mines and machineguns; it should react to ubeatable threats like killbox , retreat and switch to "sapper raid" behavior.
- Also just add more raid types other than "crowd of idiots cassualy walking into killbox".

Also I would like to see armor and weapons settings reworked from scratch. They just dont scratch my "real items with real tactical applications" feel and instead are all more of the same thing with better/worse stats. Power armor is just better body armor; charge rifle is just a bit better assault rifle with less range - this kind of stuff.

There is some slight hint on that SMG is somewhat better in close range and more agile, but it is weak hint. There is a hint that minigun/LMG is good against covered enemy, but it is weak hint. Weak hint that (on paper) some armor/clothes are better against bullets and others against blunt weapons. Weak hint that some equipment makes pawns slower. But all those hints are ignorable weak and almost unnoticeable when it comes to real use. These differences should be directly strengthened and expanded with additional features.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Ultratrinitor

Quote from: Mihsan on March 25, 2018, 05:32:33 PM
Combat.

I want combats to be less clumsy/dull and give more options to player, be more tactical, have more features.

What I would like to change:
- Add "shoot on the move" feature - it alone can revolutionize how combat will feel in this game.
- Add firing modes to pawns (aimed/sniper fire; normal fire; quick fire; area supression). Those modes should affect stats like rate of fire, hit chance, weaken or raise influence of cover on hit chance.
- Add firing modes to weapons (single shots / short bursts / long bursts) where applicable.
- Add behavior modes to pawns ("stay low" - use cover more and fire less; "careless" - use cover less and fire more; "charge!" - switch pawn to aggressive mode, make him walk towards enemy and shoot).
- Add ammo. NOT like physical resource that you need to manage (which is really too much fuss), but as limited magazine sizes after which pawns will have to take reload pauses. Great story moment of "last pirate was reloading and we chaged him then".
- Add inventory system with multiple weapons (like SMG in hands, rocket launcher behind back and knife on the belt) and secondary items/tools (grenades, explosives, bandages, deployable cover...). Also grenades (and pilas) should go away as "weapon with infinite ammo" and be limited use secondary items instead.
- Add formations to AI raids: that thing with "crowd of idiots cassualy walking into killbox" for every raid from wild animals to high-tech future robots should go away. Industrial era enemy should walk as single unit in single formation; it should spread out to limit loses from mortars, mines and machineguns; it should react to ubeatable threats like killbox , retreat and switch to "sapper raid" behavior.
- Also just add more raid types other than "crowd of idiots cassualy walking into killbox".

Also I would like to see armor and weapons settings reworked from scratch. They just dont scratch my "real items with real tactical applications" feel and instead are all more of the same thing with better/worse stats. Power armor is just better body armor; charge rifle is just a bit better assault rifle with less range - this kind of stuff.

There is some slight hint on that SMG is somewhat better in close range and more agile, but it is weak hint. There is a hint that minigun/LMG is good against covered enemy, but it is weak hint. Weak hint that (on paper) some armor/clothes are better against bullets and others against blunt weapons. Weak hint that some equipment makes pawns slower. But all those hints are ignorable weak and almost unnoticeable when it comes to real use. These differences should be directly strengthened and expanded with additional features.
Run and shot is already arround there, the 2n point is good, but I thing this is more like Combat Extended mod and changes a lot the game.. I'm also an X-Com fan but here I think it will be tedious and will slow the game

MajorFordson

Difficult and broad question

The only large system I really feel needs more refinement is combat balancing, with animals especially. A tortoise should essentially die to one or two blows with a club, attacking a muffalo with a knife should be suicide etc. Giving weak animals much less killing power, but perhaps more interesting maiming possibilities (A monkey pulled out his eyes! A tortoise bit his foot off!) might balance it a bit. Oh and animals just wandering around humans peacefully without keeping their distance too is one of those small but immersion breaking things.

The more fiddly stuff is sort of the realm of modders, and should lead to the player being able to build unique and interesting types of homes. For example no boardwalks in Vanilla so the player can't do construction around swamps or rivers very well out-of-the-box, or make better use of those natural features for defences. Some simple additions like that would give more biomes different possibilities for unique little towns.

Bozobub

Quote from: MajorFordson on March 25, 2018, 09:53:25 PM
Difficult and broad question

The only large system I really feel needs more refinement is combat balancing, with animals especially. A tortoise should essentially die to one or two blows with a club, attacking a muffalo with a knife should be suicide etc. Giving weak animals much less killing power, but perhaps more interesting maiming possibilities (A monkey pulled out his eyes! A tortoise bit his foot off!) might balance it a bit. Oh and animals just wandering around humans peacefully without keeping their distance too is one of those small but immersion breaking things.

The more fiddly stuff is sort of the realm of modders, and should lead to the player being able to build unique and interesting types of homes. For example no boardwalks in Vanilla so the player can't do construction around swamps or rivers very well out-of-the-box, or make better use of those natural features for defences.
You don't make a bad point, BUT I'll mention here, that small, hard-to-hit anuimals already are very, very effective.  Try a squirrel swarm, sometime, zoned into the path of approaching enemies; it's pretty epic.
Thanks, belgord!

Kiter5

seems silly, but I think after we rescue someone from an escape pod and they decide to not join us, they can at least stick around a  few days and help out to show their thanks. It's only human decency.