What's the most lacking part of Rimworld for you, and how would you improve it?

Started by Call me Arty, February 13, 2018, 03:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

As Tynan said himself, it's kinda interesting seeing where everyone draws the lines on priority. Some people want all the content from the Fiction Primer added (The Holiest of Texts doth reference: Xenohumans, Transanimals with the intelligence of a homo sapien, and cacti of the whipping variety), and some just want more guns. I'm fairly interested in what you guys think.

Personally, I'd just love the pawns to be more human. The Psychology mod is in the right direction, but just little things that would add the the personalities of the pawns a lot, like a pawn's friend drinking with them under the stars after a break-up, or a researcher giving some other pawn pointers on how to improve their work. Little, human things for our ones and zeroes. No party or social fight style alert, just something you might see while planning a kitchen expansion or counting the spaces in a wall.

I hope not too many people see this as "suggestions" worthy. I thought this would warrant a bit more of a chill tone, rather than dozens of comments discussing how something would never be added because it would be too overpowered or isn't worth the Dev's attention.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Kori

I would like that! More personality for our pawns and watching how they get along with each other would be awesome!

Unlike more weapons or furniture this isn't something that can be added by mods.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Kori on February 13, 2018, 04:28:39 PM
I would like that! More personality for our pawns and watching how they get along with each other would be awesome!

Unlike more weapons or furniture this isn't something that can be added by mods.

Well, thanks Kori. What about you, what're you missing?
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Jibbles

Scenario editor. I rarely use it. Most of it's options provide predictable gameplay or permanent conditions since there's not many options to tweak it.  I daydream about creating custom events with it. It climbed up to the top of my list since I don't think we'll see events that have more depth to them, or challenges that require more preparation/strategy than what's already in the game.

Toast

Continuing in the same vein as OP but in a slightly different direction: I wish there were more human interactions with other factions. You can trade with them, murder them, or pay/be paid by them to murder things. That's it. It feels so... empty, particularly when there are so many random "X Faction are visiting your colony" events that just seem to be begging for a purpose. It's not too uncommon to find out that a refugee or slave you welcome in has family somewhere else on the planet, or for that family to actually show up in a caravan, but there's no way to ask a family member to join you *peacefully* or to even interact with them at all. We're all struggling here on the Rim but there's no real sense of camaraderie with the other friendly factions and I wish there was.

I think the Hospitality mod does some of this but as OP said this isn't a suggestion of specific elements I want so much as a feeling of missed potential.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Jibbles on February 13, 2018, 06:29:01 PM
Scenario editor. I rarely use it. Most of it's options provide predictable gameplay or permanent conditions since there's not many options to tweak it.  I daydream about creating custom events with it. It climbed up to the top of my list since I don't think we'll see events that have more depth to them, or challenges that require more preparation/strategy than what's already in the game.

I've noticed the same kinda thing. As much as I love scenarios, there's only so much they can do without mods, and they can't even do everything that the creator may want. Sometimes, simple things like, say, recreating the Devil's Blessing story. It's essentially a variation of a default scenario, but you'd still need Prepare Carefully to get the pawn and starting gear right, then you still lose-out on the potential coolness of your landing tile and map being customized (just like in the story), and even potential specialized events, like certain customized characters appearing at certain points in the game.
If you check the scenarios, you see a lot of repeating themes due to the limitations. Toxic Fallout 100% of the time instead of a toxic planet, permanent eclipses instead of caves, etc. You also have things like one of my personal favorite scenarios: Rimworld - The Survival Reality Show. Seven rules that you're simply trusted to follow. Sure, it may be tough, but it's pretty easy to see some patterns of "if this then that" coding that the game already has to a degree (Cause event meteorite every 7 days).

Anyways, love the idea of an improved scenario editor overall!

Call me Arty

Quote from: Toast on February 14, 2018, 12:01:41 AM
Continuing in the same vein as OP but in a slightly different direction: I wish there were more human interactions with other factions. You can trade with them, murder them, or pay/be paid by them to murder things. That's it. It feels so... empty, particularly when there are so many random "X Faction are visiting your colony" events that just seem to be begging for a purpose. It's not too uncommon to find out that a refugee or slave you welcome in has family somewhere else on the planet, or for that family to actually show up in a caravan, but there's no way to ask a family member to join you *peacefully* or to even interact with them at all. We're all struggling here on the Rim but there's no real sense of camaraderie with the other friendly factions and I wish there was.

I think the Hospitality mod does some of this but as OP said this isn't a suggestion of specific elements I want so much as a feeling of missed potential.

I know there have been a lot of posts debating about why someone would fight their old friends rather than turn on the people who shot and imprisoned them, but I'm still surprised that a mother and son will still fight. No dropping of guns, no solidarity between friends of either wanting the best for their comrade. Bang, boom, crippling mood debuff.

O Negative

I've had some fun with the scenario editor, but I had to use notepad++ to edit the XMLs. Ive lately been playing with 25 starting colonists with no materials to start. No rerolling either. Euthanized 2 older people and buried them in sarcophagi to keep colonist mood stable. Now dealing with starvation as I build infrastructure and proper food production facilities.

On topic, I really wish diseases were a bit more interesting. Specifically, contagious. But, that's very unique to me as a player.

SzQ

Orbital traders actually landing not sending stuff in capsules and magically teleporting our stuff trough mountain.
You know... like in Rikiki mod.

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

Grubfist

Caravans are easily my favorite part of the game and the fact you can't make a temporary camp or tents or anything like that really bothers me. :C

sick puppy

Quote from: Grubfist on February 14, 2018, 10:59:24 AM
Caravans are easily my favorite part of the game and the fact you can't make a temporary camp or tents or anything like that really bothers me. :C
agreed
camping stuff mod should definitely be added to vanilla

Injured Muffalo

There are some grammatical issues...

Quote from: Grubfist on February 14, 2018, 10:59:24 AM

I third that.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

Canute

The problem with the current camping mod is, you easyly can exploid it.
You are allways geting a fresh map with flora and fauna for the biome, together with the ruin's and maybe ancient danger.

Yes, the temp. set-up camps are very useful.

Harry_Dicks

1) How and what information is given to the player. Example is setting up outfits that use different layers. The layer a piece of apparel uses is hidden to the player. So I've gone through and edited all of my descriptions so that I know what goes where. With only a few apparel mods, it gets silly trying to play mix & match with clothing that takes up weird slots and layers. I think this will be fixed in 1.0.

2) I want the world map to actually matter. With RF - Faction control, I've had some amazing looking maps where all of the factions are strategically laid out. It makes me fantasize about a dream RimWorld scenario where I can have little outpost colonies have to feed supplies that can only come from different biomes into my main colony. I want to make my long distance adventures and journeys have to be strategically planned! I want to have to decide do I take the shortcut through the mountains, but it's winter and we are low on food. What if we end up like the Donner party?! Or do we take the safe, long route around the mountain range, but that means we have to travel through the heart of the cannibal tribes territory! C'mon, dammit... that sounds awesome!

3)I want to be able to have this setup for moving goods from one colony to another (your own or allies/traders) with pre scheduled, automated, unmanned cargo ships. I want this to be once you hit very late game though, so that way you still have to go through your walking period and can't take dropships everywhere :)

Like SzQ said, if we could have something like this combined with Rikiki's MiningCo. Spaceships, man that would be awesome. Especially if the pawns had to all load/unload the cargo from the ships, and you could have multiple new systems built around ship construction/maintenance/docking facilities/whatever! We could even have our own guys rappel in from a gunship or something fun.

Teutorix

Quote from: Kori on February 13, 2018, 04:28:39 PM

Does the mod Psychology not do this to some extent?