Pyromaniac had fire-starting spree even with full mood bar?

Started by MeowRailroad, February 14, 2018, 06:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeowRailroad

One of my colonists recently got married so his mood bar was as high as it could be, from the honeymoon effect, opinion of his wife, comfortable furniture, etc. Somehow he still started a fire while tending to a patient. Is this supposed to happen? Is the fire-starting break not tied to mood or is this a bug?
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

sick puppy

i was surprised by this aswell. nope, it seems like it just happens. just like chemical interest and fascination isnt mood dependent. which makes these traits absolute no-goes in normal playthroughs. on the other hand, having lots of them can make them like eachother from the get-go, so who knows, maybe a playthrough with drug addicts and pyromaniacs is actually a good idea from a mood perspective? i just know that teetotalers and these druggies hate eachother's guts, just like lazy and industrious pawns do

lancar

Indeed. Pyros go on firestarters randomly no matter the mood, and will be a huge liability without any means to control them whatsoever. It's the one trait I immediately reject a pawn if (s)he has it, no matter how good the other stats are. It's a complete dealbreaker.
That said... it _can_ bring about some pretty funny stories.
Way back a year or so I had a pyro marry, and during the marriage ceremony she went on a firestarter spree. All the guests and groom were standing in the dining room waiting for her to be done with it, occasionally one of them darting out to put out the most recent fire before quickly running back in to wait again.
It was actually kinda hilarious :p I imagined the husband-to-be standing there in a perpetual facepalm thinking to himself "not again..."

Chemical interest/fascination pawns CAN be controlled simply by forgoing the whole drug aspect of the game, or boarding up the drug storage room whenever a binge triggers. It's a pain, and you lose a lot of flexibility and profits, but still not as bad as the firestarter. I usually banish them anyway, unless I'm really hurting for new colonists.

gipothegip

Pyromaniacs are the worst, they just recklessly start fires on random.

I usually won't put up with pyro's, unless I'm desparate.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

Hans Lemurson

Arrest the pyro and put them in a double-thick stone cell with filled with lush carpets and plenty of wooden furniture, and remove it from your "Home Area".

Irony should happen eventually.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Canute

What a beautiful day, anything is so green and growing.
Isn't it a perfect day for some fireworks and made the other people happy too, lets start it with this Art "Chair on fire".

Horrible day, anything is so dark here. The damn meal tastle like garbage.
I think it is time to get some light into this damn hole this RimFridge is the perfect place for, Hot Dog's for cold cooks.

Ukas

Some people just want to see the world burn. I'm okay with having one pyromaniac in my colony, although I've noticed number of them doesn't have a major effect on how often the event takes place. In other words they take turns, so likely you wil have one or two fire-starting sprees during one year whether you have one or five pyromaniacs in your colony.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Ukas on February 15, 2018, 07:46:13 AM
Some people just want to see the world burn. I'm okay with having one pyromaniac in my colony, although I've noticed number of them doesn't have a major effect on how often the event takes place. In other words they take turns, so likely you wil have one or two fire-starting sprees during one year whether you have one or five pyromaniacs in your colony.
So an all-pyromaniac colony might actually be possible?  (Assuming you can take care of the lack of firefighting ability)
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Canute

Possible yes, but when all pawn's would be pyromanicas noone could  firefight,...
Would be expensive to rebuild anything, instead of repairing.

Shurp

So it sounds like it is very important to keep wood around when ever you have pyromaniacs -- so that your colonists can grab wood logs to beat him senseless whenever he has a pyro event.

The smart pyro will light the logs on fire first so no one else can beat him with them :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

kingy10005

i have found that having a person drafted to manually put them out or having all my people set to put out fires 1 priority having one or two of them is not that bad just means you have to put up with them trying to burn your base down once in awhile better mood = less likely to do it bad mood = more likely to do it :P
i would rather have a fire starter peep than a drug user any day withdraw a pain in the bum to deal with hehe

TheMeInTeam

The mental break is annoying but these are way better than pessimist/depressive pawns on extreme.  Holding a fire weapon is permanent +5 mood boost against other breaks and once you're in an established base it's built in a way where fires won't easily spread, limiting potential damage (and with more pawns as contingency).  For a mid-late game base I consider this a below-average trait but no dealbreaker.  A reliable source of mood boost on extreme is very nice when your wealth is high enough that you get no positive from expectations.  Coupled with fine meals and good dining/work/rec room the pyros are pretty resistant to other break types, and fire sprees aren't long-lived.

Dashthechinchilla

I will take a pyro over neurotic, very neurotic, pessimist, depressive, and maybe even too smart. Usually the fire starting spree is only bad early game. Late game I have enough pawns that someone is around to put it out.

Or they are my handler and start a fire in the woods, so who cares?