[1.5] Medical Dissection - Train your medicine skills

Started by Heremeus, March 17, 2018, 06:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heremeus

Every wondered what to do with those piles of dead pirates? Your doctors are still training by installing ped legs on prisoners? Then you need a dissection table in your game!

Features
  • Performing dissections allows your doctors to train their medicine skill on humanlike corpses
  • Colonists assigned to the new "Study Medicine" work type will perform dissection bills at a dissection table to train their skill
  • Dissecting a single body takes 1.5 ingame hours and grants 3000xp (adjustable in settings)
  • Dissection removes random body parts and organs from the corpse
  • Colonists may accidentally destroy corpses in the dissection process (lower chance with higher medicine skill)
  • A corpse can only be dissected once (A "Allow dissected" and "Allow not dissected" filter can help you to set up your storages and butcher bills efficiently)
  • Thoughts and tales

Download
Steam
Github

Stuff added by the mod
Research
A new research project "Dissection" unlocks the Dissection Table. Automatically unlocked for crashlanded scenario for your convenience (they surely heard about the idea of cutting open dead people to learn about human anatomy).

Buildings
A dissection table to perform the work on (texture kindly provided by /u/Edward_StoneHammer!).

Recipes/Bills
A dissection recipe/bill. Use the details to allow only certain types of corpses (colonists/stranger) or set a minimum/maximum skill for dissection.

Work type
A "Study Medicine" work type. Assign your soon-to-be doctors to train their skill without having them accidentally perform organ replacements.

Filters
A "Allow dissected" and a "Allow not dissected" filter to optimise your storage and bills. Set up your butcher bills to only allow dissected bodies to make sure you are not losing out on experience for your doctors.

Thoughts
Colonists with a passion for medicine will remember dissecting a corpse and gain a small mood boost for a while (1.5 days). Without a passion they will be disgusted for a few hours before they forget about the things they did(0.5 days).

Tales
Cutting a corpse open is a memorable experience and people that did like to tell tales about it to their colony. One day you might discover a piece of art portraying their story. These stories are based on the dead person's relationship to your colony and the dissector's passion for medicine.

Settings
The mod settings (Escape -> Options -> Mod Settings) allow you to tweak and balance the mod to your likings. You can adjust the amount experience gained and choose to ignore the daily learning limit. You can also adjust the chance of the corpse being destroyed in the process. The setting value is the chance for a colonist with 0 medicine skill. The actual chance is lower for higher skill levels (for example half as much with level 6 and only a tenth with level 14).

Compatibility
There are no known incompatibilities with other mods. Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

Harvest Organs Post Mortem
The mod contains a patch for Harvest Organs Post Mortem (HOPM). If HOPM is installed, you can add dissection bills on autopsy tables. The required research changes to Basic Autopsy. The dissection table is still available but can only be used for dissections, not for organ harvesting.

Alien races
The mod currently only allows dissection on humanlike races. Mods based on "Humanoid Alien Races 2.0" by erdelf are supported. Add an issue if you would like to dissect non-humanlike races. Please include the name of the mod adding that race.

Save game compatibility
The mod can be added to existing saves but you will need to fix your work priorities afterwards because it adds a new work type. It is not safe to remove the mod from an existing save after doing the first dissection.

Translation
Currently available in
  • English
  • German
  • Chinese Simplified - Translation by 若月スバル/Etherrrr[/il]
Adding a translation
You want to translate the mod into your language? Awesome! Make a copy of the English language folder (or any other language you want to use for reference) and go through the xml files inside. When done, upload your translation to a file hoster of your choice and add an issue on github with a link. Alternatively, if you're familiar with github, feel free to fork the project and create a pull request.

Credits
Implementation by Heremeus
Dissection Table texture by /u/Edward_StoneHammer
Chinese Simplified translation by 若月スバル/Etherrrr
Update for 1.5 by Greysuki/tomchang25

License
MIT License

Changelog

v2.9
  • Updated for Rimworld 1.5 and Anomaly DLC
v2.8
  • Updated for Rimworld 1.4 and Biotech DLC
  • Improved default dissection work tab priority
v2.6
  • Added Chinese Simplified translation by 若月スバル/Etherrrr
v2.5
  • Added support for Rimworld v1.3
v2.4
  • Added support for Rimworld v1.2
v2.3
  • Added support for Rimworld v1.1
  • The mod should still work as expected for Rimworld v1.0
v2.2
  • Fixed dissection on autopsy table not working correctly sometimes
  • Fixed redefining Main Research tab
  • Fixed dissection option on people waiting for surgery
  • Disallow colonist corpses for dissection by default (No longer accidentally destroying bodies of colonists you wanted to revive)
  • Fixed dissected hediff not being removed on resurrection
  • Changed "Study Medicine" work type label to "Dissect"
v2.1
  • Fixed compatibility with Harvest Organs Post Mortem
  • Added option to always destroy bodies when dissecting
  • Butchering and cremating now by default does not allow corpses that can be dissected
  • Fixed issue with pawns not dissecting even if daily learn threshold was not reached yet
v2.0
  • Custom dissection table texture (provided by /u/Edward_StoneHammer)
  • Dissections now give more xp and take less time (balanced against vanilla tend xp)
  • New work type "Study Medicine" so you can separate your medical students and actual doctors
  • Dissections do not get rid of the corpse anymore (there is a chance that corpses will be destroyed in the process)
  • More tales depending on the dissectors passion and the corpses faction
  • Custom "Dissected"/"Not Dissected" filters to improve your stockpile and recipe efficiency
  • Small improvements (e.g. pawn will strip the body before dissecting instead afterwards)

Jernfalk

That's a pretty great idea! I'll test it right away with several other mods. Keep up the good work!

Harry_Dicks

Wow this looks really cool. Thank you!

So this should work with all mods, even those that have alien bodies and non-traditional bodies? For example, the Elder Things from the Rim of Madness pack, could a doctor dissect them as well with no issues?

Heremeus

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on March 17, 2018, 07:19:38 PM
So this should work with all mods, even those that have alien bodies and non-traditional bodies? For example, the Elder Things from the Rim of Madness pack, could a doctor dissect them as well with no issues?

I will try that in the next days to see how it works (my gf's parents are visiting us right now and take all my time). In theory the bill allows non-rotted humanoid bodies as the material. If those mods add new category of bodies, I will try to find a generic way to support all of them or at least support the most common mods individually.

Quote from: Jernfalk on March 17, 2018, 06:50:13 PM
That's a pretty great idea! I'll test it right away with several other mods. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Let me know if you find any issues.

IWannaChaos

Nice, I like the experience changing depending on the state of the body. Could you add the ability to get bionic parts from the corpses of enhanced pawns? Maybe you could limit it to fresh bodies and just give some components/plasteel in other cases.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: IWannaChaos on March 17, 2018, 07:45:26 PM
Nice, I like the experience changing depending on the state of the body. Could you add the ability to get bionic parts from the corpses of enhanced pawns? Maybe you could limit it to fresh bodies and just give some components/plasteel in other cases.
If this were to be considered, I would recommend at least checking out Reclaim, Reuse, Recycle. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35322.0

Heremeus

I like the idea but I think Tynan did not add this option for balancing reasons. I want to add a low chance to get organs and may as well do so for bionic parts ("Hey, this eye still seems to be functioning. Let extract it"). But this would be more of a rare and balanced positive event than a reliable way to reuse parts. The chance would be in the settings though so you could turn it to 100% if you want to use it that way. Otherwise Harry_Dicks' suggestion sounds good. At least it requires some effort for regaining powerful parts.

Jernfalk

Still testing out the mod. So far, one suggestion: Put it so that the dissection table can only be built after the dissection research. Not that it would change much, but I didn't realize there was a research until after I questioned why no bills could be created on the table. Other than that, I'm running it along with 60+ mods and none of them conflicted!

Crow_T

Great idea, definitely following this mod.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Ruisuki

i literally was just thinking about installing the older mod that did this after a tough gunfight, but iirc it didnt add a bench so im tempted to get this one instead. Ever think of adding the ability to remove bionic parts from dead bodies to this? With high skill requirement of course

Ruisuki

Quote from: Heremeus on March 17, 2018, 08:21:13 PM

I like the idea but I think Tynan did not add this option for balancing reasons. I want to add a low chance to get organs and may as well do so for bionic parts ("Hey, this eye still seems to be functioning. Let extract it"). But this would be more of a rare and balanced positive event than a reliable way to reuse parts. The chance would be in the settings though so you could turn it to 100% if you want to use it that way. Otherwise Harry_Dicks' suggestion sounds good. At least it requires some effort for regaining powerful parts.
Oh I see this was just suggested, figures it fits the theme. I do like the idea of components or only a chance to get rewarded with this. Im all for it.

Canute

Quote from: Heremeus on March 17, 2018, 08:21:13 PM

For balancing i suggest to stay by medical training only.
If you are geting medical training and bodyparts that would be a bit overpowered.

Ruisuki

Are bionic parts fitted specifically for the individual? If so, why not mimic an organ rejection-like feature? I know rbse(https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28731.0) has one though its been a while so idk how it handled it. It only affected organic parts but if a bionic leg has to be custom fitted for a colonist then we could come up with some reasoning behind it. If not, then the part would have to be rescaled.

You can also add to that my idea for a 'limb adjustment' feature. So that the health stat profiency is regained gradually. Manipulation, sight etc can start at a low percentage and increase over many days or weeks instead of shooting to over 100% all at once. Rehabilitation for your people. You can add both features, or better yet those two along with the rare chance to regain bionic parts event/gain of component/steel in case of dissection failure. All of those together can provide enough difficulty to make you work for it.

Failiing that itd be best to just give the option to the player under mod options. As I've seen been mentioned elsewhere the game already allows you to harvest organic organs and place them wherever so even in the worst case scenario it makes sense.

Heremeus

Just published an update for the mod:

• Added settings (Options -> Mod Settings -> Medical Dissection)
  • The progress bar shown ingame is now accurate for the dissection progress
You can now change how much exp a single corpse gives (1500 by default, surgeries in vanilla give 2000). You can also change how long it takes to dissect one corpse (2 ingame hours by default).
I also made the progress bar for the bill show the actual dissection progress.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to figure out if and what I want to do with bionic parts when I get some more free time. I'll try to balance it as much as possible, if I'm going to add it. Some ideas are making it another (more expensive research), needing extra work and
materials or maybe some negative event (dissector cutting and infecting himself) to balance the positive.

Crow_T

Quote from: Heremeus on March 18, 2018, 10:38:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to figure out if and what I want to do with bionic parts when I get some more free time. I'll try to balance it as much as possible, if I'm going to add it. Some ideas are making it another (more expensive research), needing extra work and
materials or maybe some negative event (dissector cutting and infecting himself) to balance the positive.

Some other thoughts on balance:
Perhaps as a doctors level goes up they get less exp for dissections seeing as how they're not gaining much more knowledge. maybe after L10 or L12 they get just a trickle.
Bionics could be repaired at a machining table after research, with resources, and with a pawn with a crafting skill of X and a medicine (or intelligence) skill of Y, similar to medicine production. This may not fit well with bionics mods, perhaps having bills on their respective benches would work.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20