All graphics display black but words (and rain!) still show

Started by verbojuice, March 24, 2018, 07:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verbojuice

Version 0.18.1722/
I am a few hours into a game. Suddenly the terrain, pawns etc go black. However the text and falling rain still display. The game seems to still be playing and is responsive to pause and commands. Quit & reload results in the same black display. I am using the latest NVidia drivers. I've not added any mods or changed any options since starting the game. I do use a number of mods.

[attachment deleted due to age]

verbojuice

Rebooting PC (Win 10 Pro) does not make any difference.

Calahan

Sounds like a mod issue, especially as you say it was fine to start and the problem only appeared afterwards. So moving this to mod bugs (at least for now). Either way please can you post your log file (as an attachment). Details on where to find it here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0

You can try a clean reinstall as a possible solution, as that fixes a variety of technical issues. But it won't do anything if it's a specific mod or mod clash that's causing the problem.

How to Perform a Clean Reinstall

1. Reset RimWorld's configuration data by deleting all the RimWorld configuration files. You'll find them in one of the following folders (depending on your operation system):

Windows        C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config
Note 1: the AppData folder may be hidden.
Note 2: the RimWorld folder within LocalLow may differ for various users, see this thread
MacUsers/[username]/library/Application Support/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
Users/[username]/library/Caches/RimWorld/Config
Linux/home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config

2. Uninstall the game and delete the game files.
-If you ARE on Steam:
  A: Unsubscribe from all mods in the Workshop.
  B: In Steam library, right-click RimWorld and select Uninstall.
  C: Shut down Steam.
  D: Delete this folder (if it's there): Steam\SteamApps\common\RimWorld
  E: Delete this folder (if it's there): Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\294100
  F: Restart your PC.

3. [Windows only] Download and run Delete_RimWorld_Registry_entries.reg (right click the link and use Save Target As) and double-click it to delete all registry entries related to RimWorld.

4. Disable virus protection programs (they occasionally flag RimWorld as a virus and kill it, since it was downloaded from the Internet).

5. Open Steam, install RimWorld and play.

6. Remember to re-enable your virus protection.

After the clean reinstall it might be worth you testing a vanilla game to see is the problem occurs with that or not. If it does then that'll point to something else being the cause other than mods. If you do get this issue in a vanilla game then please post the new log file generated (from that failed vanilla game attempt).

verbojuice

Thanks for the prompt response. Output log attached, I've remove a number of the repeating error messages to keep within the upload limit.

I'll try removing the last mods I added and see if the problem goes away. If not I'll try the clean install.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

verbojuice,
at first, very bad idea to play permadeath with mods.
Until you are 95% sure no error happen (because you allready got a playthrough with that modset) you shouldn't do that.

Alot of error's about glowing.
Since you use Biome's with cave's i think it is related to these mods.
Be sure you have the latest version of these mod's.
If these error still happen, maybe you should post at the Biome's mod topic with the error log about advice.