Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeoNovaDan

So, something that has some potential to be somewhat overpowered is the fact that flak pants can be worn underneath plate/power armour. Since the former occupies the OnSkin layer and the latter occupies the Middle and Shell layers, it'd be possible to achieve some insane resistance ratings for a character's legs.

This could easily be solved by having flak pants occupy the 'Middle' layer too, maybe.

Tynan

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on June 18, 2018, 10:11:05 AM
I meant "Wandering" as a Recreation/Joy when they are just walking around. Until B18, pawns would walk relatively close to the base. But now in V1.0 they are walking up to the map borders, in a very suicidal length. They must stay somewhat close.

I mean, until now, even if they went outside your city walls...they wouldn't go all the way out of the safe zone. This behavior I'm analyzing in Unrestricted, I never had a problem before...but now.

Nothing at all changed with how walking paths are generated, this is entirely random.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Hondamusprime

From my experience on the unstable build it seems as if some multicore rendering has been implemented into the final build of rimworld. Is this true?

Tynan

Quote from: Hondamusprime on June 18, 2018, 10:37:03 AM
From my experience on the unstable build it seems as if some multicore rendering has been implemented into the final build of rimworld. Is this true?

I'm afraid not, but we did optimize stuff.

From user POV, optimizations are equivalent. Multithreading is just another type of optimization.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Ser Kitteh

The assigning of workbenches to a specific colonists are great! However, it doesn't mentioned if someone is passionate or not. Perhaps a little flame icon next to the number?

As people have mentioned, the randomness of going between food binges, sad wander, and cataconic attack is a wee bit too much.

I am personally not a fan of the increased herbal med growth rate. You are pretty much at the mercy of RNG when it comes to wounds, and while we can take advantage of cover and the like, it feels to newb-unfriendly. Also, needing to rely on merchants for medicine is equally unreliable.

Madman666

I support Ser Kitteh in that matter. Herbal medicine already isn't that good to begin with, but forcing you to go on without any kind of meds for longer is too harsh. Now that hp state of a weapon doesn't affect its accuracy especially, since pirates used to be missing all the time because their weapons are in crap condition. Now they hit more often.

Also -20% to all plant yields? All that does is forces us to have bigger fields, having less space for anything else left. On small maps its a problem. So why?

Nightinggale

Quote from: Tynan on June 18, 2018, 10:40:52 AM
Quote from: Hondamusprime on June 18, 2018, 10:37:03 AM

I'm afraid not, but we did optimize stuff.

From user POV, optimizations are equivalent. Multithreading is just another type of optimization.
I would call this great news. Vanilla is faster, but it still leaves idle CPU cores for mods to exploit. I think only one mod released for B18 actually use more than one core, but one means it's possible and who knows what we will see in the future. Also optimizing by using less CPU time to do the same will lower power usage while optimizing by using more cores will increase power usage. In other words RimWorld got more laptop/battery friendly.

What strikes me the most about the 1.0 changes is actually 64 bit. It's really annoying to have a game in B18, which grows to be so close to the memory limit that the game becomes unstable. It's my experience that I reach this point way before the CPU power becomes an issue.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Ser Kitteh

So I just saved someone on an escape mod. And when I mean saved, I meant captured. Said person was one of my colonist's mother, and capturing her made me an enemy of one of the factions. I didn't realise this was so, because most escape pod pawns are not faction related. Was this changed recently?

EDIT: To go into more detail, I rescued her, put her on one of my medical beds, and she just up and left. Wanting to keep her, I arrested her and shoved her in the prison. THEN the faction becomes hostile. I am admittedly spoiled by Hospitality, and expected a "HECAP would like to join". Not aware if this is a bug or by designed, regardless, something to look into.

I will argue that the rescued pawn should say along the lines of "HECAP would like to join" like in Hospitality or "HECAP thanked you and is off his/her way". Now most of us have a million hours logged into the game, but a new player who doesn't understand the nuance will reasonably be confused at them not joining. Therefore a notification would be very welcomed.

This unstable branch should be viewed in two ways: the 10,000 hour veteran and the player who just picked it up. I think it would be worthwhile to imagine ourselves as the latter, and have gameplay design that is newb friendly.

PatrykSzczescie

I'll edit this post as I'm testing the development build with issues I have encountered:

v1.0.1938
- When I try to settle close to a village, there's a notification tab that relations with factions whose these close villages belong to will be worsened. It includes pirate bands, which is kinda useless as they're permanent hostile. I'd like this to be fixed, the notification about settling close to pirates is not needed (I only tested when I tried to settle with multiple villages, one of those included pirates; I don't know how it works with pirate villages alone).
- Naked brutality means naked brutality. No industrial research, please. We're supposed to begin from scratch.
- There's a glitch that if you decide to build a wall and then decide to put a door instead (I did it after resources were put on the wall, before building), it doesn't remove the wall. The trumpy colonist will build the wall first, then remove it and build a door.
- Mining with 0lvl skill is really, really, really slower than in B18. Is it intended? My pawn took like 2 hours to make a single hit on vein steel.
v1.0.1939
- Objects don't deteriorate despite being outside under the open sky.

Madman666

Quote from: Nightinggale on June 18, 2018, 11:09:39 AM
What strikes me the most about the 1.0 changes is actually 64 bit. It's really annoying to have a game in B18, which grows to be so close to the memory limit that the game becomes unstable. It's my experience that I reach this point way before the CPU power becomes an issue.

Did i miss that somewhere in the changelog? My version s still 32 bit, though. At least for Windows.

UPD: found a shortcut in game files. Holy shit. Damn. This alone makes it the best mod-friendly update for Rimworld! Now I can ditch my Linux and play on Windows only finally. Hurray.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: tiagocc0 on June 18, 2018, 07:19:01 AM
Quote from: ChJees on June 18, 2018, 07:06:07 AM
Since you guys squished together leathers why not do the same for meats? Would cut down on the clutter a lot.

So instead of having 2 x squirrel meat and 73 x rat meat you now got 75 x rodent\animal meat. Was a spontaneous thought in the Discord server. Make a helluva lot of sense to me.

I agree, it would make sense to divide if there were different bonuses for eating different meats.

Also, having lots of different types of meat makes it difficult to manage the nutrient paste dispenser since you have to manually remove the meat from the hopper if the number is lower than sufficient to make another nutrient meal.

It does make sense to make much fewer meats at least. Regular, insect, human. It isn't like the recipes differentiate it anyway. At least when the leathers were separate it is because you could not mix and match, but that has never been the case between different animal meats.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Madman666 on June 18, 2018, 11:37:49 AM
Quote from: Nightinggale on June 18, 2018, 11:09:39 AM

Did i miss that somewhere in the changelog? My version s still 32 bit, though. At least for Windows.

UPD: found a shortcut in game files. Holy shit. Damn. This alone makes it the best mod-friendly update for Rimworld! Now I can ditch my Linux and play on Windows only finally. Hurray.

If you click the "Play" button while in your Steam library, it also brings up an option box to select 32 or 64 bit. So Steam overlay and the like runs that way, think people who were just linking to the 64 bit executable were not getting the Steam overlay and possibly no Steam screenshot functionality.

Madman666

Ah, well, i just use my desktop shortcuts and i also absolutely don't care for added steam fucntionality, so its all fine. I just didn't see the promt about 64 bit, because i used old shortcut. But damn. Finally no memory restriction. How nice.

Lech

I just read log from taming wild monkey. It has refused to go back to community. Dunno if this is supposed to show for totally wild animals.

Since you put a lot of QoL functions from mods into game, could you add alert about pawns/animals being hunted?

Rulin

I started a new colony yesterday. (Day 39 - Phoebie Chillout - Easy)
Really like the new windmill. It offers a solid source for electricity early on. And you don't need to worry about batteries and shortcuts for some time. Small suggestion here: How about giving underwater cables a bit more hp? They cost eight times as much and are probably thicker and better insulated. ;)

In general I always try to have some sort of livestock (for immersion and food), this time I tried pigs, but when there is only a female version on sale, it can take quite a while to find a partner for her.
Then lab, same problem here. Merchant even had two male versions.
I guess gender distribution is pretty much random, but this makes it hard to start breeding.

Then at some point a tamed herd of chickens appeard so I guess I will be doing that. But in the end, it is not what I wanted.
Chickens are also very fragile and not that easy to handle. They eat quite a lot of gras, and when you increase their area, the eggs will be all over the place. Too bad they don't use their sleeping spots for laying eggs. (maybe I should try building some sleeping boxes...)

I just had a bear attack one of my pigs. Not sure if this was a new fleeing behaviour but the bear appeared to be more skittish once I start shooting at him. He stopped biting my pig and fleed out of range, then after a few seconds he started to forget what happened an was coming back for miss piggy.

pew pew again, he ded.

Overall this felt better than having to deal with a bear that is in terminator mode ignoring everyting what's going on around him. I liked it.

Winter is coming (septober), I hope there will be snow. Also, atm all trees are still greenish. Shouldn't they change their color at some point? (Edit: They start getting yellow at around 12th septober)

Edit: I just formed my second caravan to rescue someone. My colony has 7 members.
The first mission was ambushed by 4 well armed raiders. They attacked from almost every side, while my colonists where right in the middle of the map without much cover.
Was a bit brutal but I managed to down 2 while the other raiders fled.
In the end I lost one of my colonists due to an infection. The rescued survivor was catatonic for 3-4 days so I had to stay there quite long. Another colonist helped out with medicine and food but help came to late for the infection.
Next time I make sure I have sleeping bags and good medicine with me.
I also wasn't sure if I can form the caravan when someone is incapable of walking so probably staying so long was a bit unnecessary.
It all seemed like an easy retrieval because it was only 0.4 days away from me.

Fingers crossed this next map isn't a trap...
Edit2: Oh great, he is an luci addict and automatically joined the colony once I approached.