Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greep

I'd go with downplaying it, imo.  If you make it serious, people will take it serious. Possible scenario descriptions:

"You are likely to be eaten by a grue"
"10 out of 10 raiders recommend you choose this scenario"
"Make sure to whine on the forums when you die"
"You wake up with a hangover, and no pants"

Kind of like dungeon of the endless' "easy" and "too easy" difficulties (they're both insanely difficult)
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Call me Arty

Quote from: Greep on June 26, 2018, 03:03:15 AM
I'd go with downplaying it, imo.  If you make it serious, people will take it serious. Possible scenario descriptions:

"You are likely to be eaten by a grue"
"10 out of 10 raiders recommend you choose this scenario"
"Make sure to whine on the forums when you die"
"You wake up with a hangover, and no pants"

Kind of like dungeon of the endless' "easy" and "too easy" difficulties (they're both insanely difficult)

I support this.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Polder

Quote from: Tynan on June 26, 2018, 02:24:55 AM
Serious question: Should I write on the scenario description "this scenario is unfair"? Because it is, and it must remain so. Especially if you're choosing biomes without healroot.

I didn't understand how infection worked and that healroot is basically required unless the treating medic has very high skills. I also didn't know healroot doesn't spawn in all biomes. I kept ending up in what seemed like death due to almost solely RNG due to a preference for arid biome.

(I haven't played Rimworld seriously in years)

Tynan

Quote from: Polder on June 26, 2018, 03:27:24 AM
(I haven't played Rimworld seriously in years)

I respectfully suggest you try a non-insanely-difficult scenario in that case :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Serina

I preferred the previous difficulty names over the new ones, which are a bit bland. However, I can understand how some people would prefer simpler terms instead. Either way, it doesn't affect me much in terms of gameplay. I do want to comment on how much I'm loving most of the new changes in 1.0. I bought a male and female panther from a Shaman Merchant that dropped by thinking I'll just train them to release since they previously couldn't rescue/haul in b18. I was pretty happy when I noticed they can now be trained to do both! Silver well spent. :D

Aerial

Quote from: Dargaron on June 25, 2018, 08:09:20 PM
Quote from: Aerial on June 25, 2018, 07:30:55 PM
Is this a bug or intended?  A pawn in my colony had a mental break at 72% mood.  The minor break threshold is listed at 35%, which I always took to mean pawns wouldn't ever break if their mood is above that.  The pawn doesn't have any traits that impact break threshold.

Screenshot attached.

Did he/she have the new Gourmand trait? IIRC, it causes occasional Pigging Out Mental Breaks even when a Pawn in content, the same way that Chemical Fascination causes pawns to go on Drug Binges.

She's a gourmand, so that explains it.  Thanks for the info.

I think it should be removed, though.  The Gourmand already has an increased hunger rate.  It feels pretty unfair from a gameplay perspective because it's something I can't really control except by refusing Gourmands into my colony.

At the very least, the mood tooltip needs to be updated with the exception so players aren't turned off by what appears to be buggy behavior.

jamaicancastle

Quote from: Aerial on June 26, 2018, 03:51:37 AM
I think it should be removed, though.  The Gourmand already has an increased hunger rate.  It feels pretty unfair from a gameplay perspective because it's something I can't really control except by refusing Gourmands into my colony.

At the very least, the mood tooltip needs to be updated with the exception so players aren't turned off by what appears to be buggy behavior.
Well, "ban them from your colony" is pretty much the go-to advice for pyromaniacs, so it doesn't seem amiss here. Although I think that points out a more general problem, and wouldn't be averse to it changing.

What I would like is for trait-related mental breaks to be called out in the letter you get informing you when they strike. That way the player knows that they didn't do anything "wrong" (except allow a pyromaniac/chemical fan/gourmand into their colony) to prompt the break, unlike mood-related mental breaks.

Serina

Quote from: Aerial on June 26, 2018, 03:51:37 AM
Quote from: Dargaron on June 25, 2018, 08:09:20 PM
Quote from: Aerial on June 25, 2018, 07:30:55 PM
Is this a bug or intended?  A pawn in my colony had a mental break at 72% mood.  The minor break threshold is listed at 35%, which I always took to mean pawns wouldn't ever break if their mood is above that.  The pawn doesn't have any traits that impact break threshold.

Screenshot attached.

Did he/she have the new Gourmand trait? IIRC, it causes occasional Pigging Out Mental Breaks even when a Pawn in content, the same way that Chemical Fascination causes pawns to go on Drug Binges.

She's a gourmand, so that explains it.  Thanks for the info.

I think it works the same with pyros, which is why I never recruit such pawns into my colony. I agree with you and I would welcome a change.

Aerial

Quote from: jamaicancastle on June 26, 2018, 04:05:12 AM
What I would like is for trait-related mental breaks to be called out in the letter you get informing you when they strike. That way the player knows that they didn't do anything "wrong" (except allow a pyromaniac/chemical fan/gourmand into their colony) to prompt the break, unlike mood-related mental breaks.

Good point, and I agree that would be a reasonable solution.

Scavenger

Quote from: Serina on June 26, 2018, 03:35:41 AM
I preferred the previous difficulty names over the new ones, which are a bit bland. However, I can understand how some people would prefer simpler terms instead. Either way, it doesn't affect me much in terms of gameplay. I do want to comment on how much I'm loving most of the new changes in 1.0. I bought a male and female panther from a Shaman Merchant that dropped by thinking I'll just train them to release since they previously couldn't rescue/haul in b18. I was pretty happy when I noticed they can now be trained to do both! Silver well spent. :D

Wait... When did he allow Panthers to haul?! And what other animals had changes like this? Panthers are my fav!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Scavenger

I would love to see more uses for animals... I currently only use combat animals in "safe" situations(Chasing down fleeing terrorists, engaging targets that wont put them in line of fire, or are weakened) or in emergencies, so they dont get hurt. Taming is absolutely my favorite part of the game. Though the unique feel of combat is pretty close too.

Especially having unique uses for specific animals.. Like beavers cutting wood for you, rams and rhinos charging, arming monkeys with knives, dare i say... Mounts?  ;D
And i know ill get a lot of heat for it.. But putting bombs on animals to remote detonate when they get close to hostiles?

Honestly, if i had it my way, i would essentially add a lot of things from ARK to spruce up animals more and give them unique uses and traits! Like turtles armor or cobras toxic buildup, some of the few with a unique trait currently.

And a greater variety of animals too!! The more the merrier. But i know thats a lot to ask, and balance.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Serina

Quote from: Scavenger on June 26, 2018, 04:28:14 AM
Quote from: Serina on June 26, 2018, 03:35:41 AM

Wait... When did he allow Panthers to haul?! And what other animals had changes like this? Panthers are my fav!

Yes! I was so excited when I found out. Panthers are so cute! Unfortunately my female panther's life was short lived.
Trained her to release and a poison ship dropped down that had a scyther and two centipedes.

Right before the chaos: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1423014453
Rip Nala, she didn't even get to make babies: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1423014358

Anyway, panthers have 80% wildness and training decay interval of 7 days. If panthers can now rescue and haul, maybe cougars as well? I'm not sure, I've only had warg, boomalope, muffalo, timber wolf and polar bear so far in 1.0.

Edit: Mounts would be amazing ^.^ I've seen a mod for it on steam, but never tried it.

Julia

I dislike the changes in text, example is hot -> sweaty etc, instead of a nice, clean message.

Sorry, hot is hot. Sweaty is what, hot and wet? Is this supposed to show discomfort? The only discomfort is for the player. New texts not very rimworldish.

Also really dislike the new joy from work and joy in general, either the pawn is working on one assignment or he is somewhat useless and prone to breaking, and the joy gain is on/off. More discomfort to play as one wishes.

Scavenger

Quote from: Julia on June 26, 2018, 04:49:38 AM
I dislike the changes in text, example is hot -> sweaty etc, instead of a nice, clean message.

Sorry, hot is hot. Sweaty is what, hot and wet? Is this supposed to show discomfort? The only discomfort is for the player. New texts not very rimworldish.

Also really dislike the new joy from work and joy in general, either the pawn is working on one assignment or he is somewhat useless and prone to breaking, and the joy gain is on/off. More discomfort to play as one wishes.

Ya! I am hesitant to use any mods.. I have to be sure they are balanced and dont make the game easier. Just QoL and things i think  the game needs. Mounts would be amazing, but damn hard to balance.

I think cougars and panthers were identical in all but color. While the Lynx is just a fluffier smaller version :P Like Wargs and Labs. I would think Lynx should be able to haul too, just not as much. I really hope panthers hauling isn't a bug! I have wanted it ever since i tamed one. I was really hoping for more animal changes than we got. I have yet to encounter a Warg, muffalo, or bear so far, but i cant wait.

And i love the Simba and Nala! You are damn lucky to find both on 1 trader! :P The game really needs hyenas, Perfect pack predator for several biomes.

Tynan

Surprised: No discussion yet about how the armor system has been completely redone with armor penetration, damage diminshment (from gunshot to bruise), etc.

Anyway, quick update going up. Changelog:

-----

Building watermills too close together now makes them less effective (water turbulence).
Adjust naked brutality description.
Reduced "soaking wet" duration and made it happen in rain as well as water.
Fix: Minor issues with time speed slowing in combat.
Autocannon turret is now significantly more powerful and somewhat more expensive.
Fix: Pawns who are incapable of hauling can still do opportunistic hauling jobs.
Multi-analyzer no longer requires advanced components. Plasteel is enough.
Buffed wind turbine power output 15%.
Insect meat is now priced lower than other meat.
Fix: Some text still uses the term "joy" instead of "recreation".
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog