Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

I utterly hate the "tainted" dead man's clothing mechanic by the way. It just nullifies anything you get from raids aside from weapons. Maybe it does make sense from balance standpoint, but having to burn all apparel and armor they drop because it just uselessly takes up storage space and can't be traded for more than 00.2 silver a piece is infuriating. Especially when some bastard comes in a power armor, plays Rambo shrugging off shots for couple hours and then just dies because of several bruises denying you the spoils of his power armor, just because you've failed the dice roll of "sudden death" mechanic.

Its one of the reasons I really like Vegetable Garden mod, which at least lets you salvage apparel for textiles and armor for steel, not just burn it like garbage.

Serina

The new colony wealth requirement for centipedes in ancient ships seems to be pretty reasonable now, much better than before.  ;)

Started a new game, NB (two pawn start though) Phoebe - Hard.

https://imgur.com/DC8vF0L - Got my first ancient ship (psychic) with 1 centipede (minigun) + 1 scyther at 45,320 colony wealth.
Used a Tornado Generator that I picked up from an ancient danger on the ship because I was curious.
The tornado completely destroyed the ship, damaged the mechs to about half before it dissipated. Was fun to watch.

https://imgur.com/gwF16Fg - Second ancient ship (poison) had 1 centipede (minigun) + 2 scythers at 58,329 colony wealth.

https://imgur.com/AMo8Ibh - I'm loving these caravan requests. Just what my colony needed! Jessica has asthma in both lungs, Mason has artery blockage, and Claire has a peg leg (was bitten off by thrumbo) and an arm destroyed (Serina clubbed her a little too hard trying to arrest her when she went beserk).

Edit: Also, every time my colonists got food poisoning, the cause was always unknown. =/ Was hoping to actually see more details about it.

Trallhatt

Quote from: Madman666 on June 30, 2018, 08:30:59 AM
I utterly hate the "tainted" dead man's clothing mechanic by the way. It just nullifies anything you get from raids aside from weapons. Maybe it does make sense from balance standpoint, but having to burn all apparel and armor they drop because it just uselessly takes up storage space and can't be traded for more than 00.2 silver a piece is infuriating. Especially when some bastard comes in a power armor, plays Rambo shrugging off shots for couple and then just dies because of several bruises denying you the spoils of his power armor just because you've failed the dice roll of "sudden death" mechanic.

why do you take their clothes off to begin with though? i just burn their bodies. no need to burn clothes individually.

taint should be timed though, maybe 2 seasons. then it's all forgotten and its ok to use... that would make it somewhat balanced i think because its still punishing to save clothes - it does require resources to store it, so it's not totally "for free" and you can't get instant upgrades for your characters that way (well unless you want the debuff that goes with it)

Madman666

I really liked it in earlier versions when you could loot winter apparel from raiders to survive your first winter relatively easy. However with the taint your already pissy aristocratic frontier dwellers get even more whiny now :/

While i hate it with passion, I don't use mods that just flat disable it. I am really fond of recycling it back to ingredients, which i can then use to craft my own clothing instead both for use and trade. Most mods offer a decently balanced pay off from recycling - like about 20-25% of resources from apparel. Its a good way to get small amounts of rare textiles too, like hyperweave. I wish that was implemented instead of just burning it... But oh well.

Most of all i hate armors counting towards apparel being tainted or tattered. Its purely practical thing, you wear it to keep your innards from becoming outards... and you whine that it got some holes from bullet hits from previous raid. Or a blood stain from its previous owner. Then go wash it in the rain or something. Meh.

Syrchalis

There is working recycle mods for 1.0 already, so uh... I've been using those. I mean mods are there for a purpose and mod support in general is. Not everything should be part of the base game.

Though I also must wonder - what exactly are you supposed to do with these clothes? Bury the raiders with them? Burn them with them? That sounds relatively bad. I mean in these kinds of apocalyptic scenarios (think zombie apocalypse or nuclear war aka walking dead/fallout) you also always just use whatever the guy you just killed wore if you like it. Salvaging them for some raw materials feels pretty good tbh.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Madman666

In the base game without any modded stuff, you're supposed to just burn it, along with all the clothing that got damaged enough to give pawns moodlets... Which is kind of annoying. You can't sell it, it just takes up ton of space without being useful in any way.

Ambaire

Quote from: Boboid on June 30, 2018, 08:19:47 AM
Forgive me for saying this but... the current system is exactly what you're suggesting you'd prefer...
The only difference is each time someone is downed it has a chance to be fatal.

Your suggested system would lead to.. well... your colonists spontaneously dying because their finger was chewed on by a rabbit.
---
Let me start all over again.
Every time a non-player human pawn is Downed (Incapacitated, wounded to the point where they can't stand due to pain or lack of legs ect) they have a chance to die outright irrespective of how lethal those wounds were.
For example if someone has both their legs blown off by a grenade they haven't technically received a fatal wound, and indeed your pawns would always survive. Albeit with no legs. Non-player pawns however have a chance to outright die.

Sorry, don't really know what I was saying there or why. What I meant to say was, I think that a certain combination of wounds should be considered fatal injuries and be untreatable regardless. It's a little weird that any injury can be patched up and bleeding stopped... that is, if you stop the bleeding before they bleed out, they're ~fine~. Raider shot through the lung or heart? If they're not dead, the wound can be magically bandaged.

Trallhatt

Quote from: Syrchalis on June 30, 2018, 09:00:14 AM
There is working recycle mods for 1.0 already, so uh... I've been using those. I mean mods are there for a purpose and mod support in general is. Not everything should be part of the base game.

Though I also must wonder - what exactly are you supposed to do with these clothes? Bury the raiders with them? Burn them with them? That sounds relatively bad. I mean in these kinds of apocalyptic scenarios (think zombie apocalypse or nuclear war aka walking dead/fallout) you also always just use whatever the guy you just killed wore if you like it. Salvaging them for some raw materials feels pretty good tbh.

In its defense though, you can wear it with a rather slight debuff.. and that makes perfect sense too, you'd probably only wear clothes from a corpse because you have to (and you would probably not be 100% ok with it), if you can make new clothes you'll absolutely prefer to wear that (and eventually you can create new clothes, buy new clothes). I think people get a little bit too caught up about the mood perhaps, its nice when they're 100% happy i guess, but you're also supposed to just balance it, they dont NEED to be 100% happy to survive. I used tattered clothes in my last play, and it was fine (i used it in the start).

East

Is not recycling too powerful? Constantly spend and constantly make! This is rimworld.
Of course I want to use legendary items for a long time. However, what I have felt playing for a long time is that if it is more than 'good', the actual use experience is similar.
Still, if you are looking for the balance, if the cost of repair and time is higher than the cost of production, there will be room to worry about. Efforts are needed to repair legendary items.

Since the story of the mod came out, I am more than welcome to join the convenience mods vanilla.

I know that Tynan is deeply concerned about joining the mods. That's because it gives you a completely different game experience and you want to leave it in the player's choice.

But I want you to add a few more mods you need without hurting player's experience. Convenience mod, not content.

1.Free Input
If you are not an English user, you will not be able to change the name of your drug or dress policy to your own language. The mode that solves it.

2.Don't Stop the Music
The mod that music continues.

3.Better Workbench Management
Many things have been added to the game, but I hope the name change part is also in.

Madman666

No one was talking about repairing items, we were talking about recycling tainted apparel back into materials, which we can later use to craft new items. Though i guess ability to repair at least legendary items with some history behind them would be nice even if it made to cost several times more than initial crafting. Its way more sad to watch legendaries degrade now that they're more of a rarity and a memorable items.

Canute

The discussion about recyle is very old, since we can smelt weapon's.
But Tynan and the dev team never add this feature, so they have their reason's we didn't understand.

And about legendary items. Just think where are these legendary item's at real life ? Behind vitrines of some collector's or museum, barely noone use these.

Gfurst

Quote from: Madman666 on June 30, 2018, 09:06:15 AM
In the base game without any modded stuff, you're supposed to just burn it, along with all the clothing that got damaged enough to give pawns moodlets... Which is kind of annoying. You can't sell it, it just takes up ton of space without being useful in any way.
I never had to burn a single piece of clothing, at first I would just stash raiders bodies in a mass open grave and let them (and besides that you can just bury them clothed). At some point later struggling for food I had some raiders turn into kibble, at which case I just stash the used clothes in open terrain to rot as well. And even then, playing on Randy/Phoebe, the influx of raiders were so low that it rarely matter.
The issue was that people would just get a hefty income supply from the constant raiding: raiders walk in your death trap = free money stuff with barely no risk. I like how it is now, its a Rimworld and shouldn't have tons of suicidal raider people.

Quote from: Ambaire on June 30, 2018, 09:13:44 AM
Sorry, don't really know what I was saying there or why. What I meant to say was, I think that a certain combination of wounds should be considered fatal injuries and be untreatable regardless. It's a little weird that any injury can be patched up and bleeding stopped... that is, if you stop the bleeding before they bleed out, they're ~fine~. Raider shot through the lung or heart? If they're not dead, the wound can be magically bandaged.
But there are a fair number of injuries that can be fatal, namely damage to critical organs: heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, brain, spine. And even then if you don't hurt critical organs, they may still die from being just too roughed up, excessive bleeding, or even just give up on life, reached zero conscious.
I really like how detail that system is, and already had a pawn in current play, die instantaneously from liver damage. But still they more often than not have a good chance to survive.

Quote from: Serina on June 30, 2018, 08:32:54 AM
The new colony wealth requirement for centipedes in ancient ships seems to be pretty reasonable now, much better than before.  ;)
Started a new game, NB (two pawn start though) Phoebe - Hard.
https://imgur.com/DC8vF0L - Got my first ancient ship (psychic) with 1 centipede (minigun) + 1 scyther at 45,320 colony wealth.
https://imgur.com/gwF16Fg - Second ancient ship (poison) had 1 centipede (minigun) + 2 scythers at 58,329 colony wealth.
Did they tweak that even more?
Last time I got them a couple patches back it was pretty brutal, 1 centipede, 2 scythers, 3 lancers. Before that I had one with 3 centipedes of which 1 had a rocket launcher.
I think it would be around a similar wealth value, but I'll check the next time it happens.

PatrykSzczescie

Quote from: Madman666 on June 30, 2018, 10:22:48 AM
Though i guess ability to repair at least legendary items with some history behind them would be nice even if it made to cost several times more than initial crafting. Its way more sad to watch legendaries degrade now that they're more of a rarity and a memorable items.

I wonder how those legendary items deteriorate so quickly upon usage. Tynan said they are supposed to be told for decades, while they're disappearing with a year. Max hit points of apparel must be dependent on quality.

Ser Kitteh

My masterwork plasteel plate armor has been gone through hell and back and so has its user and I've had it for four years and it's still only at 75%. Perhaps there's a difference between legendary flak vests and legendary power armor but rest assured, my masterwork gear are still kicking. I probably need to play 20 years for them to fully deteriorate.

Madman666

It does get an HP hit, when its wearer gets shot. So it depends on how often you stick its wearer under fire...