Map Size Thoughts

Started by Syrchalis, July 03, 2018, 04:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrchalis

Hey everyone,

I wanted to know what you think about the map sizes, especially in regards to 1.0. I used to play mostly huge maps (for the explicit purpose of making things easier) but now I mostly pick 275² (the larger medium size) or one of the large options if I feel like playing on a flat map.

Tynan's stance on the subject is more or less known to me (big map sizes break the game). What he thinks about each size individually would be nice to know though.

Also what do you guys think about small maps? Ever played on one? For me it just makes it "artificially" harder - map size for me is just a limitation of the game/engine/machine you're running on and if it were possible the entire planet could be one huge map (like Factorio or Minecraft). This is also why I started on huge maps at first.

The only reason I play on medium maps now is because I like to play the game relatively close to what Tynan wants the experience to be and because larger maps break that experience, I don't do it anymore. That said, I still run a million mods (even on 1.0) so I might sound hypocritical (I hope not). Most mods I use are QoL, only real content mod I use was vegetable garden, since I like plants.

So for me it's mostly 275² or 300², depending on map type (flat = bigger).
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Serenity

Yeah, small maps are pointless. There just isn't enough room to build anything interesting. And it feels constricting.

The issue with the largest maps is that walking times are too long. By the time you get anywhere far away the pawns will usually be tired

Canute

It depend on your playstyle.
Basicly i don't think smaller map's made it more difficulter basicly.
But when you like to develop big colonies, you might run out of space, and you need to have multiple defence locations. Because your base is so big and nearly match the map.

On large/very large maps, you need to care more about logistic.
You can't even send a pawn mining to the other end of the map, because the way allready takes long.
And the chance that pawn's get overwhelmed by incoming forces/animals is higher when they have a long way.

Syrchalis

Quote from: Serenity on July 03, 2018, 04:49:18 PM
The issue with the largest maps is that walking times are too long. By the time you get anywhere far away the pawns will usually be tired
I hear this a lot, but I honestly can't really agree. I don't have that problem. What bothers me is just that I totally see these gamebreaking things Tynan speaks of and it spoils the fun for me, so I try to stay within a more reasonable range.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

fritzgryphon

More ore, more drill.  Enough resources to build a ship.  Enough time for 3 mortar salvos at enemies assaulting your base. 

Big map is cruise control for cool.  8)

Canute

On a small/medium map the siege party don't got even time to build mortar before i intercept them. Sure i just wait before the resources/food pods come in before i attack.
Quote from: Syrchalis on July 03, 2018, 04:51:04 PM
Quote from: Serenity on July 03, 2018, 04:49:18 PM
I hear this a lot, but I honestly can't really agree. I don't have that problem. What bothers me is just that I totally see these gamebreaking things Tynan speaks of and it spoils the fun for me, so I try to stay within a more reasonable range.
Depend on the biome too. When you play in a large map with heavy movement penalty like tropical forest or desert, the way even take more time. And not sure if the pathfinding is better in 1.0 now, but before the pawn's even follow road's you made for them.

SundayFaith

Basicly i don't think smaller map's made

Scavenger

I use second to largest map for many reasons.

More animals(My fav!)
More room to build
More choices of where to build, so i can find a very neat location with natural defenses

One of the biggest changes i wish the game had, just make it all 1 big map... maybe add a fog of war. Or at least more accommodating to have several colonies. I want to have a base in each biome so i can catch more critters of more types! Make a zoo.

The problem is, it makes it too damn easy, and i reaaally hate anything that takes away from the difficulty:/ Some of the issues-

Too many resources, ores, trees, food, ect
Takes enemies awhile to get to you, so time to prepare or mortar
Some events mitigated-
beavers can chew forever
poison ships can land so far away they have no affect
crashed supplies can be a long trek

I may end up just going for a medium, and wait decades for more interesting critters to spawn:/ Less choices of cool build locations without constant remaking whole map and choosing colonists all over again. Lot of a hassle.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde