Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScrapyardBob

Quote from: erdrik on August 26, 2018, 11:45:38 PM
Quote from: ScrapyardBob on August 26, 2018, 09:46:15 PM
... but if "IED trap" is still named that way, maybe it should be "IED explosive trap" to make it more like the other "IED (something) trap" names.

Please no. Explosive is already in the name.
"Improvised Explosive Devise Explosive Trap" is just unnecessary.

Or maybe "Improvised Explosive Trap" and "Improvised (something) Trap" and avoid the whole "IED".

Syrchalis

What point does the jacket have? Parka without debuffs is just better in any way. It costs a bit more, but that hardly is an issue.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Karmos

I'm frustrated by the lack of a mood bonus to burying colonists in sarcophagi. All it does at this point is keep the bodies available for people with corpse obsessions!

I do think the +8 old bonus was probably a bit much, but none at all make building tombs pointless.

Squiggle

Storyteller: Phoebe
Difficulty: Medium
Biome/hilliness: Temperate forest, flat, river (year round growing)
Commitment mode: No
Colony age: 210 days
Total wealth: 300k
Hours played in the last 2 days: 5
No mods.
Me: newbie.

Part I:   https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41766.msg425195#msg425195
Part II:  https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41766.msg426124#msg426124
Part III: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41766.msg427631#msg427631

Story continues...

Mainly base building at this point. Adding more power, an outer wall (to slow invaders down enough so we can gear up, hopefully), more rooms and better defences. It looks like my bright idea to use the lake in the middle of my base as a killzone is not going to work very well, but I'm building a uranium slug turret anyways to protect that entrance since last time the pirates and lancers attacked they just shot my mini-turrets from long range while I watched helplessly.  My colonists also insist in walking through the mud by the lake despite nice paths behind walls, but there isn't a way to tell them areas to avoid. Also they have started cleaning my outer wall area, as well as the traps I've set up.

I'm definitely struggling more to manage a base of 18 people. Getting growing and grazing areas sized correctly, the right amount of workers and priorities right, and the right people doing the right bills (crafting and cooking I'm looking at you) is quite challenging. Things don't hum along like they used to, I'm semi-enjoying the optimization problems, but frustrated at the amount of manual prioritization I need to do and it's not clear how I fix things.

A few of my animals get the flu and then 5 become plagued, so I decided to slaughter most of the sick ones. My chickens are starting to starve despite a large size grazing area inside the outer walls, so I've been starting to cull them as well. I don't seem to be getting many unfertilized eggs from them (at least not like my real life experiences) and just hauling the eggs from all over (instead of them laying in nests) makes it so I'm not sure they are worth the trouble. Word must have gotten out that I was slaughtering animals, because a pack of 22 angry caribou showed up looking to cull my human herd. Time to find out how the new outer walls work out...

Suggestions and comments:

- Traps should probably default to auto-rearm, and stay that way even if they are out of the home zone (it seems like they have been reverting back to no-auto-rearm if they outside of a home zone?)

- It would be very, very nice to have multiple levels of home zone, and/or separate firefighting or cleaning zones:
   1) fight fires  (outside but near the base)
   2) fight fires + repair (outer walls, inner bailey)
   3) fight fires + repair + clean (base)
   4) fight fires + repair + priority clean (kitchen, hospital, bedrooms)
- Additionally it would be nice to mark areas that you want colonists to avoid (to help control pathing), not absolute avoid but increase the costs considerably so they take a different (longer by default) route. For example I have garden and field paths that I would prefer them to take, plus my damn muddy lake that they just love to muck about in. If I could mark areas to avoid that might help.
- Both of the above leads me to think that zones could have some flags and that would solve all of my issues. Flags: avoid, fight fires, repair, clean, priority clean, and cut trees. Perhaps haul and priority haul flags would come in handy too.

- I saw one of my colonists feeding a fine meal to a sick alpaca. That seems excessive.
- Similarly, why are my colonists taking pemmican instead of simple meals when there are no fine meals available? Is that working as intended? I can try to organize storage better if it's a distance check. Would be nice to be able to specify what meals you'd prefer them to carry.

- I have a couple of dirt patches in one room (with a carpet in it, although one of the dirt patches is on flagstone next to carpet) that cannot be cleaned?

- Chickens seem to have a poor return on investment. Not sure about the meat from slaughter but the unfertilized egg output seems low. Having them lay eggs with a strong priority in animal resting spots would be a nice upgrade (although perhaps then that requires being able to share the same spot with a resting animal?).
- Similarly for shearing and milking, it would be nice to be able to designate an animal tending spot for that so that the animal tender leads the animal to the work spot to do the work to minimize later hauling and chasing the animal around. Animals at 100% milk/shearing could hang around the tending zone when not eating or resting.
- Similarly, when being trained, animals should stop moving or slow down considerably. I've seen a stoned, slow moving trainer chasing an animal (doing a long distance haul). It's funny because it's sad.

- I'd like to see more quests that I can ignore if I'm struggling just with base management. Not sure how it works now but Phoebe could probably use Cassandra selection of events for any events that are opt-in. It would just reduce the frequency of mandatory events (raids, manhunter, etc).

- Got a trade quest for 18 bionic legs for 32 advanced components and a techprof core. That is a bizarre and terrible deal since the legs take 70+ advanced components. Might be good to exclude any exchanges where the input to the request is (significantly more) than the inputs to the result. I'm not sure if its better to make the requests simple or increase immersion (i.e. 18 bionic legs... WTF is going on over there? vs a variety of bionic bits could be explained by trying to make an android army).

cactusmeat

I have to agree with squiggle that chickens don't seem appealing, and remembering the last time I used them they clogged my animals tab, stole animal beds from injured or sick animals, dropped eggs in the middle of nowhere, (that were auto forbidden for not being in home zone), ate entire meals when they needed like 2 rice and bred so quick I just killed them all off to stop the beeping. Maybe collapsible menus for animal types in the tab? Either way, I'm still going to slaughter every animal smaller than dog, too much trouble.

Koek

Quote from: cactusmeat on August 27, 2018, 12:23:04 PM
I have to agree with squiggle that chickens don't seem appealing, and remembering the last time I used them they clogged my animals tab, stole animal beds from injured or sick animals, dropped eggs in the middle of nowhere, (that were auto forbidden for not being in home zone), ate entire meals when they needed like 2 rice and bred so quick I just killed them all off to stop the beeping. Maybe collapsible menus for animal types in the tab? Either way, I'm still going to slaughter every animal smaller than dog, too much trouble.

Well, put them in a seperate zone, only feed them hay or rice and don't give them animal beds. Use the tools you're given before asking for changes dood.

Cheers :)

Nynzal

Quote from: Syrchalis on August 27, 2018, 10:36:52 AM
What point does the jacket have? Parka without debuffs is just better in any way. It costs a bit more, but that hardly is an issue.

I think the same; apart from looking better than the parka, the jacket has no advantage. Doesnt make sense to wear a parka in a desert and actually benefit from wearing it.
Winter is coming

Squiggle

Quote from: Koek on August 27, 2018, 12:44:54 PM
Quote from: cactusmeat on August 27, 2018, 12:23:04 PM
Well, put them in a separate zone, only feed them hay or rice and don't give them animal beds.
Ya, my chickens have their own bedding zone, and own grazing zones (1 square of hay + dandelions + wild grass).
I can live with the chicken animal menu clutter (especially since you can hold down and drag to change their zone, that is amazing).
The forbidden eggs are annoying, I didn't realize that was a home zone issue, but I have very restrictive home zones to reduce wasteful cleaning. Maybe need to rethink the tradeoffs.

On a real-life farm you'd be able to set up feed times where a colonist grabs hay/food from storage and places it somewhere and the amount of food is roughly what is required by the animals. I don't think there is any simple way to do the UI for that or I'd suggest it. Hmm, actually... maybe an animal feeding spot where you can set delivery bills: food to allow, time of day, which animals to feed (and what percentage of their total nutrition). Haul job would complete the entire delivery and top up the available feed at the feeding spot to meet the nutrition requested. So you could do:

Chicken feeding spot
1) Hay, 6am: chickens: 25% nutrition
2) Hay, 5pm: chickens: 25% nutrition
(Rest coming from grazing).

Even if the percentage amounts were fixed (you just select one of several bills: 10%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% say) that would be a help. I could live with it being a fixed amount rather than a  percentage, but that's similar to some of the micro that is making me frustrated. I could see something similar working for delivering stacks of prepared food to a dining room.

The trick would be either auto-waking a hauler to make a delivery or forcing a player to put a hauler on forced work at the delivery time. I could live the second but would be non-obvious for new players.

I know this maybe is making Rimworld too much of a farm simulator, but survival does depend on raising your food efficiently.

A RANG MA

Quote from: Nynzal on August 27, 2018, 12:57:38 PM

I think the same; apart from looking better than the parka, the jacket has no advantage. Doesnt make sense to wear a parka in a desert and actually benefit from wearing it.

Jackets give a little bit more damage resistance compared to parkas, while parkas insulate better. Parkas are probably best if you're playing on an extreme cold map, whereas jackets can help to both protect a bit against damage and protect pawns from cold just fine in cold-but-not-too-cold maps.

acab1312

Quote from: A RANG MA on August 27, 2018, 04:08:30 PM
Quote from: Nynzal on August 27, 2018, 12:57:38 PM

Jackets give a little bit more damage resistance compared to parkas, while parkas insulate better. Parkas are probably best if you're playing on an extreme cold map, whereas jackets can help to both protect a bit against damage and protect pawns from cold just fine in cold-but-not-too-cold maps.
Unless this has changed in unstable 1.0/B19, parkas provide a global 20% reduction in work speed, which at times can be detrimental. Jackets are also cheaper, and parkas are almost never needed except in very cold climates.

Vaniat

Would you like to make the prisoner ITab size compat with new prisoner interaction mode?
When I added a new prisoner interaction mode, always an old prison interaction mode could not display.

Jumper

Storyteller: Randy
Difficulty: Rough
Biome/hilliness: Temperate forest, Large Hills
Commitment mode: Yes

Just a few notes from my current play through,

- During a heat wave it makes no difference to wear a parka, This is a little strange as taking the parka off should make your more comfortable on the high temp range. Its a big insulated jacket

- I do like the food poisoning mechanic now. Very good to know the reason etc

- Can you change the colour of the research bar on the research screen, bottom left, white on the light blue is very difficult to read.

- Having seperate cleaning and fire zomes would help a lot.

- weather was showing dry thunder storm but it was raining

- for prisoners does reduce resistance reduce the resistance more quickly than just using recruit ? For the pirate prisoners could we introduce a action on the comms console to ransom them back. Releasing them is pointless.

- previous game went badly, man in black turned up. Seemed to cheesy so just quit the game. If the colony dies because of circumstance or my stupidity thats fine. It is the story we got. The man in black just makes it limp along. Completely takes me out of the game., just feels like a badly written film or book where thay need to crowbar in something by coincidence

- Would it be worth getting a bonus for burying a colonist in a tomb ?

- Just on the ate without table thing, if the colonists hate eating without a table why do they pocket food ? it makes no sense to take food with you when you want to eat at a table. They all seem have some psychological issue that they need to sit at a table. Picnics are dead on the rimworld ;-)

Amazing game, keeps up the good work.

Tynan

Thanks everyone! The beta is out now so I'll lock this thread. I can't express how much I appreciate people volunteering their time to offer such great feedback. Feel free to keep it coming regarding the public version as well.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog