[B19] "Do until you have X" interacts poorly with "Drop on floor"

Started by ocelost, September 28, 2018, 04:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocelost

My chemist was following a "do until you have X" bill to make sure we had enough penoxycyline, with the "drop on floor" directive so she wouldn't waste time walking. The bill rules failed to count the newly-made batches, so she burned through all our neutroamine, leaving us with a ridiculously large pile of penoxycyline and no way to make medicine. Ouch.

This was really surprising behavior. Both "do until you have X" and "drop on floor" are first-class directives in the crafting interface, so I expected them to be usable together.

I guess I could try working around the problem with an extra "notice things that land here" stockpile surrounding each crafting station, but I don't think I would enjoy the zone clutter or spending my time managing a hack to teach the game how to count. Some refinement here would be lovely.

ocelost

Canute

"do until you have X" only count things inside a stockpile.
If you want that these fresh crafted item droped on floor count, create an empty stockpile around your workbenches.

BlackSmokeDMax

To be clear with what Canute is saying by "empty stockpile": Create a stockpile that is set to hold no items. Anything falling within it will be counted, but will be hauled away because it is not supposed to be in that stockpile.

Then your only issue will be that things are also not counted while they are being hauled.

5thHorseman

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on September 28, 2018, 06:58:17 PM
Then your only issue will be that things are also not counted while they are being hauled.
Right but then your problem is you have 31 meals instead of 30. Not 174 instead of 30.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

ocelost

Quote from: Canute on September 28, 2018, 04:36:56 PM
If you want that these fresh crafted item droped on floor count, create an empty stockpile around your workbenches.

Yes, as you can see from my last paragraph, I know that now that the damage is done. I shouldn't have to, though. The game offered to count things for me, so I expect it to do so, without any gotchas, hidden additional steps, or other surprises.

5thHorseman

Quote from: ocelost on October 01, 2018, 06:00:43 PM
Quote from: Canute on September 28, 2018, 04:36:56 PM

Yes, as you can see from my last paragraph, I know that now that the damage is done. I shouldn't have to, though. The game offered to count things for me, so I expect it to do so, without any gotchas, hidden additional steps, or other surprises.
While it's annoying it's hardly a 'gotcha'. It's a miscommunication at best.

I'd support a little warning text, but don't think anything needs changed.
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.

ocelost

The game said it would stop when I had X. It did not stop when I had X. Turns out it could be convinced to do what it was supposed to do, but only if I took extra steps that were never mentioned. I call that a gotcha.

This particular issue seems rather silly because the game is already counting all the items on the map in order to discover my "wealth" for raid difficulty scaling, yet it can't be bothered to use that count in order to stop crafting when it is supposed do. It's the sort of thing I would fix quickly in my own code.

I don't know why anyone would be opposed to a quality of life improvement as simple as making a thing actually do what its user interface claims to do.

5thHorseman

Either they changed it or I have a mod that does it for me, that I didn't specifically install to do this. I had 2 pairs of pants laying on the ground (that I stripped from raiders before they died) and my tailoring bench saw them and stopped requesting pants.

Amusingly, it caused confusion because someone had tattered pants and I couldn't figure out why the bench thought I had 2 when my stockpile was completely empty of pants.

In any case, I'd be curious what mod does this, if only to suggest it here.

And to be clear, I'm not opposed to them making the change. I just don't think they need to and I don't think they should do it above anything else they're doing.

Canute

Ok, then just the description is wrong not explaining it correct
"Do until you have X" should be "Do until you have X in stockpiles"

Kenneth

"Do until you have X" has more criterias than just stockpiles, also you can target specific stockpiles, change the radius, ...
We'll leave this as is, thanks for reporting anyways! ;)