Report logical conflict in worker behavior versus zone restriction

Started by cyxthtycyxthcyx, October 27, 2018, 04:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyxthtycyxthcyx

Presume a worker is unrestricted as per zoning.
Presume the worker is currently completing a task.
   example- sowing field
Presume you intend the worker's next task be zone-restricted.
   example- harvest a berry bush

step 0-  pause
step 1-  add zone to restrict to to the worker's current cell on the map
step 2-  add zone to restrict to to the worker's current work target cell on the map
step 3-  restrict the worker to the zone to restrict to

the above steps insure that the current task will not be interrupted.

HOWEVER:
the two above additions to the zone redefine the zone and disallow certainty of the zone restriction mechanism.  i.e.  the two additional cells in the zone may contain definitions that conflict with the worker's next zone-restricted task.

How, then, can zoning restriction be changed without the interruption of the worker's current task...  without using command queueing?

in the above examples, it is observed that harvesting has a built-in higher priority than sowing.  Both task interruption, and this uncontrollable prioritization scheme should be subject to any change in zoning restriction, not vice versa...  ?

Kenneth

I'm having trouble understand your report.
Is the issue that you can't prioritize doing things outside of the currently assigned zone restriction and you thus have to use a workaround?
Or is the issue that your workers are being interrupted in order to do some other things while you expect them to do something else and the only way to prevent that is by restricting them to only the things they should work on?

Please elaborate on what you're trying to achieve, how exactly you do it (step by step), what happens (step by step) and what you expect to happen (step by step).
Check out our how to report bugs sticky thread: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0

cyxthtycyxthcyx

ah ambiguity is always so problematic...  hehe.

if a worker is restricted to a zone while doing a task, the task will be interrupted.
unacceptable.

my above workaround is flawed- redefinition of the zone does not insure the contents of where the worker is currently standing.
unaceptable.

if i could Queue a zone restriction, this would work.  i.e.- 'on completion of task restrict to zone'

i suppose i could use additional undefined zones to facilitate the worker transfer, but even then, this manipulation becomes possibly flawed by additional complicating factors.

Canute

Quoteif a worker is restricted to a zone while doing a task, the task will be interrupted.
unacceptable.
Sorry, but that is only your opinion.
When i assign/change the area of a pawn i await that he will move.
Sure if it should be hurry i still could draft him and send him back.
And the same to you, you could wait until his job is down before you change the area.

So whatever the devs decide, someone is allways unhappy.

cyxthtycyxthcyx

better to Seamlessly allow the worker complete his action by queuing the zone change/restriction to take place when the current action completes

the logical zone layer has superior place over current orders

UltimateTobi

If I change some or all my pawn's zone to an Emergency zone, so they move inside, I want them to do it ASAP, so I wouldn't say it's bug; it's a feature.
Your generic Steam user.

Pheanox

Noting the feature request change, thank you for the input.  Locking thread.