An option for colonists to eat at 10% hunger rather than 25%

Started by Modinstaller, December 02, 2018, 10:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modinstaller

Wasting .15 nutrition per meal may not seem like a big deal, but it absolutely is when your colony is running out of food. There should be a way to enforce colonists to ration food and eat only when starving, even if it decreases morale temporarily.

Not sure if it'd make sense to also have the option for animals (unless you could ask for your colonists to feed them rather than just let them feed themselves).

Electroid

It's probably a mix of you dont want to get too much of a negative mood. And your not wanting that much food.

If 3 to 10 extra corn a day is wasted and that's what ends your colony you have bigger problems. Food is so cheap that there should always be a ton of excess.

If you are incredibly limited due to your region maybe try the food processor, it's better than you think. Only uses 6 food a meal

5thHorseman

I wish that there were separate things.

At .2 hunger, if you're not carrying a meal, go get one, find a table, and eat.
At .15 hunger, if you've got a meal but aren't near a table, go find one and eat.
At .10 hunger, eat. At a table. Yes, walk to one you lazy bastard.
At .5 hunger, eat even without a table.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Modinstaller

In reply to Electroid, food is not always so cheap. It is if you play in a biome where you've got an excess of soil to farm and good temperatures, or if you have a lot of resources to build basins and time to research them. But sometimes, you don't (ice sea), or you simply didn't plan things well enough. At this point, it makes no sense for colonists to keep chugging food down as fast as they can : it's become a very, very precious commodity and needs to be rationed. Adding a way to ration food is great, in my opinion. It keeps everyone happy (don't want bad mood ? don't ration), it's coherent, it adds a bit more depth to the game, and it's not terribly hard to program compared to other suggestions.

I've been trying to play in ice sea, and every single resource matters over there. I have to cut corners into everything (I literally have to cut corners into my buildings to get 4 walls' worth of resources back) so that my colonists don't starve, die from raids, or have mental breakdowns. It depends on how much steel the game gives you with random events, but when it doesn't, colonists are on the verge of starvation all the time and actually need to eat raiders.

@5thHorseman Yeah an option for tables would be good too. Something like "range to seek a table" so that if you really want them to, they can always eat at a table, and at the very least you can tailor their range to your base's layout. And then another option to "ration food" so they only eat at .1 hunger or lower instead of .25 or lower.