Spaceship style play???

Started by Zin, December 12, 2018, 06:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zin

tl;dr

Is there any way to create a base location not specifically on the planet? ( ie in orbit ) or would i be better off role playing it so that everything is in geostationary orbit and replacing certain ground tiles with "ship" tiles?

Is there any way to essentially have faction bases move or auto spawn/despawn? ( ideally i'd have random "ships" spawn for a certain amount of time as ships enter/exit orbit) I suppose it could be done as others have like a trumbo sighting or what not, but any better way and would that work for a ship style compound?
---

So I've been thinking of a mod that would mimic living in a ship/station orbiting the planet. Wanting it to still be attack-able but completely isolated and require a bit of different play style. I've seen a mod that is close to this idea but i've also noticed it's not supported anymore going off of comments.

Ideas so far:
Creating a completely black tile that is a void. (not walkable, digable, or able to be interacted in any way other than building a specific set of tiles on it such as a space ship hull tile)

Once the hull tile is built, it's treated as an exterior uncovered tile for attacking and building purposes. However, it has the environmental factor exposure to space (no oxygen, solar radiation, ect )

If the tile becomes enclosed and pressurized, colonist could use it as regular.

Possibly have a few premade bases following this example and they could mimic other ships you could attack using drop pods.

I'm sure most of this is doable and I'm willing to put in the leg work to make the mod/scenario but I do have a question or two ( see the top of the post)

Canute

I allready got a similar idea,
but that would require a total conversation of the gameplay.
Basicly your base need to move around the world map to mine asteroids or dock at other stations/planets.
Since such kind of conversation would require a hugh work and knowledge i don't think any modder would jump on this train soon.

Berserk

The closest thing to this that I'm aware of is the mod Save Our Ship. The author has plans for something like this, but for the moment you can only build a more fleshed out spaceship. The great thing though is that it'll save the colonists you escaped with and all items put on the ship so you can take them all to a new world

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35742.0