[1.0] Simple Slavery

Started by Ziehn, January 26, 2019, 12:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziehn

Allows the player to take captured prisoners as slaves.

Original mod by Thirite, updated to 1.0 by Ziehn. Uploaded with permission.

How to Capture a Slave
   You'll first need to make a Slave Collar at either the Smithy or Crafting Spot, then in the Prisoner Tab, select the new option, "Enslave". After that your warden will fasten it to their neck, and presto! They're now a useful member of your slave-driving colony. Slaves typically won't be happy about their situation and will make repeated escape attempts until their willpower has been broken. You can get a general idea of how low their willpower is from checking the negative mood effect of their "Enslaved" thought: it starts at a -15 mood penalty and rises from there. When a slave attempts to escape, you'll have to send out a pawn to catch them; assuming you're successful, they'll be carried to a prison cell where they will be interned for a few hours. After that they will resume their duties as a slave.

What Can Slaves Do?
   Currently they function very similarly to a normal colonist-- able to perform typical jobs, be designated colonist beds, may be drafted, etc. Of course they will probably still try to escape.

Emancipating Slaves
   Toggle on the "Emancipate" gizmo after selecting a slave. A warden will then autonomously set them free, or you may prioritize it like most other orders. Once this is done, they will be considered a released prisoner and leave for home. However, if you emancipate a slave while they are in a prison cell, they will stay as your prisoner- though freed of slavery.

Buying and Selling Slaves
   Slaves can be purchased from the same traders as in vanilla- but will now maintain status as a slave when they join your colony. You may also sell any slave in your colony in the same way you would sell a prisoner. Slaves purchased from a trader will already have their willpower broken, and will typically not attempt to escape (with the exclusion of Iron willed pawns).

F.A.Q.
Q. Is this compatible with Prison Labor?
A. Yes, I haven't used Prison Labor much myself but this takes a different approach. It pretty much comes down to which roleplaying flavor you prefer, Prison Labor makes it feel like your running a prison camp while Simple Slavery does better at playing being a slaver. They can be used at the same time.

Q.My normal colonists keep equiping the slave collars, why?
A.Collars are still just normal apparel, thus need to be forbidden in your outfit settings. I suggest making an outfit just for slaves too.

Q.I can't unequip collars, help!
A.If you are using the Rpg Inventory mod click the "Show List" button to view and unequip collars.

Note
   This is still a work in progress, but it seems pretty stable from my quick tests. It should be suitable for normal (non-debugging) gameplay but I'm sure the balance is likely in need of refining.

Disclaimer
   This mod is not meant to condone real world slavery, whether past or present. If you can't differentiate between a videogame and real life then you shouldn't be playing RimWorld to begin with.

Not enough slaves?
Download some more! More Slaves

Changelog

[5/25/2019 @ 5:08pm]
Fixed animals not showing on list of things to sell

[5/11/2019 @1:29PM]
Fixed failed looping enslave attempts, unconscious pawns can no longer refuse enslavement - Thanks to Keeper for the final clue I needed to finally find this bug

[4/12/2019 @ 3:06pm]
Russian translation updated

[4/10/2019 @ 7:11pm]
New Collar - Crypto Collar
Requires Cryptosleep research to craft. Freezes wearer in place when activated allowing for non-violent arrests.
Code optimizations

[4/7/2019 @ 9:29pm]
Fixed slaves not joining colony on emancipation

[4/5/2019 @ 12:34am]
Fixed slave selling in player caravans (World map)

[3/29/2019 @ 11:26am]
Added a mask to explosive/electric collars so the component parts color will be consistent
Russian Translation by xRg

[3/20/2019 @ 3:36pm]
Fixed error on arresting Wild pawns
Fixed arrest chances for slaves not being calculated - lower willpower = Higher arrest chance
Fixed Med Care settings not being saved
Lowered Slave Labor thought debuff from -10 -> -5

[3/14/2019 @ 11:46am]
New Collar, Electric Collars. Zzzt!
Requires Microelectronics researched
Causes burns to the neck
Small risk of Heart Attacks increasing with age

[3/14/2019 @ 4:29am]
Fixed Alien slaves spawning in caravans without Slave Collars

[3/9/2019 @ 12:39am]
Fixed Change Dresser mod compatibility

[3/4/2019 @ 8:52pm]
Colonists no longer think Slave Collars are a fashion statement and will not auto-equip them
Slaves will now auto-equip a new collar if not wearing one and they are not forbidden in outfit policies

[2/28/2019 @ 4:13pm]
Fixed bug where multiple pawns tried to reserve Collars to haul/enslave throwing errors

[2/21/2019 @ 2:02am]
Updated Portuguese-BR translation - Translator: Aramati

[2/20/2019 @ 11:48pm]
Fixed cooldown for mental break on explosive collar arming not ending

[2/19/2019 @ 4:38pm]
The Not-So-Simple Slavery update:

DID YOU KNOW THAT NINETY-SEVEN PERCENT OF ALL LIVING THINGS ON RIMWORLD AREN'T EXPLODING RIGHT NOW? THAT'S BULLSH*T, EXPLOSIVE COLLARS! BOOM!!! Hehehehe.
Collateral damage possible. Possibility of mental break on arming collar.
New Tribal Slave Collar texture
Changed mood alert for slaves to "Miserable Slaves"
More advanced collars now lower slave escape chances
Escape chance is now affected by mood, happy slaves = less escapes
Colonists now care less about slaves dying, slaves will get worried if fellow slaves die and don't care about colonist deaths
Bug Fixes

[2/17/2019 @ 11:24pm]
Added Tribal Collars to Tailor benches
Added Portuguese-BR translation - Translator: Aramati

[2/4/2019 @ 5:15pm]
New Icon for "Shackle" button

[2/4/2019 @ 9:12am]
Fixed Job Priorities not saving
Fixed Enslaving your own colonists not working first time
Fixed Restricted Areas not saving - Thanks again to Thirite

[2/1/2019 @ 7:21am]
Fixed translation for Slave Escaping letter

[2/1/2019 @ 3:54am]
Fixed "Execute" being replaced with "Enslave" prisoner interation, window now dynamically resizes to amount of options in Prisoner window - Thanks Thirite

[1/29/2019 @ 3:40am]
Halved Stuff cost of Collars 50 -> 25
Removed Gold Collar spawn chance from world spawned slaves

[1/28/2019 @ 9:13am]
Added negative event letter (yellow) to slave escape event

[1/27/2019 @ 4:18am]
Slave Collars now visible on pawns, use with Show Hair With Hats mod to keep hair

Requires Hugslib

Safe to add to existing saves.

Should be compatible with all mods.

Download for 1.0
Steam Workshop

A17/B18 versions can be found here - Original Topic

Credits
Thirite - Original Author, Continued Updates
Ziehn - 1.0 Update, Continued Updates
Proxyer - Japanese Translation
Aramati - Portuguese-BR Translation
xRg - Russian Translation
And you - For playing

Krolon

Is it safe to add to an already existing save?

Ziehn

Kagee

Cool!
SteamWorkshop makes it easier!

Thirite

What do you think of having an option for beds to be "For Slaves" in the same vein as "For Prisoners"? Would give more disparity between colonists and slaves, and it's something I could probably punch out very quickly. Since I'm actually around right now, lol.

Ziehn

Quote from: Thirite on January 29, 2019, 09:12:07 PM
What do you think of having an option for beds to be "For Slaves" in the same vein as "For Prisoners"? Would give more disparity between colonists and slaves, and it's something I could probably punch out very quickly. Since I'm actually around right now, lol.
Not sure there would be much of a point to having slave only beds when you can just assign beds on a per colonist basis, but you could be right in that there needs to be more disparity in colonists and slaves. I could however use some help with the "Enslave" prisoner designation pushing "Execute" off of the PrisonerInteractionModes list due to 1.0 making the window smaller. (HugsLib continues to confuse me) Grab latest version, added comments I forgot to Source

My current plans would be adding 2 new collars - The ever popular and requested Explosive collar with an ankle bracelet option (less lethal if their leg goes boom rather than neck) and a Glittertech Stasis Collar to freeze escaping slaves in place. Both activated with a widget like Emancipate and Shackle. I'll be working on these whenever i get over this cold and lack of sleep lol

Namsan

I would like to see violent escape attempts.
Unlike normal escape attempts, slaves pick up weapons and actively attack nearby colonists while escaping.
Hello

Thirite

[
Quote from: Ziehn on January 30, 2019, 03:30:53 AM
I could however use some help with the "Enslave" prisoner designation pushing "Execute" off of the PrisonerInteractionModes list due to 1.0 making the window smaller.
Ah, right, totally forgot about that. That was even something of a small problem in B18. I will see about making that window taller asap.

AllenWL

Quote from: Ziehn on January 30, 2019, 03:30:53 AM
Quote from: Thirite on January 29, 2019, 09:12:07 PM
Not sure there would be much of a point to having slave only beds when you can just assign beds on a per colonist basis, but you could be right in that there needs to be more disparity in colonists and slaves.
I would actually like a slave designation for beds.
For one, it stops new slaves from going to the fancy colonist bedrooms instead of the slave barracks(and yeah, I can manually command them, but manually doing that for every slave is a hassle). If slave beds are a thing, I can just designate a bunch of beds to be slave beds and be done with it.
Also, slaves escape every now and then, and need to be captured. However, to capture escaping prisoners, you need a open prisoner bed. This probably isn't a problem for people with large prisons, but if you happen to have tiny prisoners, tend to convert the prison rooms of recruited/enslaved pawns to colonist/slave rooms, or just don't have a prison open for whatever reason, you need to find a suitable room to temporary prisonify just to bring the slave back, which is pretty annoying. If slave beds are a thing, we could just pick up escaping slaves and toss them back to their rooms instead of in random prisons.
And yeah, more slave/colonist disparity would be nice. The current mod is kinda like insta-recruiting a colonist in exchange for some steel/leather and extra mental breaks, sometimes the slaves don't feel like slaves, but just colonists with more frequent bad moods.

ViktorGiJoe

Love the mod, just one question though - is there a way to turn off slaves being able to escape completely? I understand it adds challenge but it's frustrating having my slaves escape all the time, and I have lots of them.

Ziehn

Quote from: ViktorGiJoe on February 08, 2019, 06:56:53 AM
Love the mod, just one question though - is there a way to turn off slaves being able to escape completely? I understand it adds challenge but it's frustrating having my slaves escape all the time, and I have lots of them.

When their willpower is reduced to 0 they get a +5 mood bonus and will not attempt to escape anymore.

Rosco

Would love to see explosive collars that detonate when leaving the home area or any area they're allowed to be in.

Ziehn

The Not-So-Simple Slavery update:

DID YOU KNOW THAT NINETY-SEVEN PERCENT OF ALL LIVING THINGS ON RIMWORLD AREN'T EXPLODING RIGHT NOW? THAT'S BULLSH*T, EXPLOSIVE COLLARS! BOOM!!! Hehehehe. Collateral damage possible. Possibility of mental break on arming collar.
New Tribal Slave Collar texture
Changed mood alert for slaves to "Miserable Slaves"
More advanced collars now lower slave escape chances
Escape chance is now affected by mood, happy slaves = less escapes
Colonists now care less about slaves dying, slaves will get worried if fellow slaves die and don't care about colonist deaths
Bug Fixes

Namsan

Thanks for nice update.
I was often annoyed by colonists becoming really sad by deaths of slaves, because I like to use slaves as disposable cannon fodder.
Hello

Ziehn

Update:
New Collar, Electric Collars. Zzzt!
Requires Microelectronics researched
Causes burns to the neck
Small risk of Heart Attacks increasing with age