How RimWorld has lost depth/immersion and became bland and simple

Started by Yoshida Keiji, February 08, 2019, 09:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

Imagine your entire world tile map like this table, where 5 is the very center.

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

Back in the days before v1.0, there were two type of players:

* The noobs would have 9 colonists, 1 at each grid number, risking all sorts of dangers be it Predator Attacks, to raids from a map border, infestation on another grid, etc.
* The smart players who out of 9 colonists, 5 would be at the main base, say grid 5. And the other 4 picking berries, mining and hauling stones from a same quadrant grid, say tile number 6. In the occasion of a threatening event, that would incidentally trigger at tile number 6... no pawn would be at 100% threat because the other 3 colonists on the same grid would easily be able to provide aid thanks to their proximity.

However, Tynan, listened to Noob complains and now the game was "Simplified" to please the "Simple Minds" and instead Punished the Smart players by removing Immersion & Depth.

The end result in version 1.0...is that now I get the Stupid notification letter in a very odd/awkward situation as this one... I can TOTALLY handle myself. This is what happens when Tynan listens to the whining of players who through their whole experience..only knew to coward themselves behind a killbox...

* https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34513.0
* https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46172.0

TheMeInTeam

Ramsis

Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Tricke

>only knew to coward themselves behind a killbox...
>So are you playing on peaceful with Phoebe?Killboxes are critical part of the game  if you're playing on Cassie Mersiless 'cos there're no chances to fight against hordes of ememies which come in above 30 in late game.
What are ya looking for?

BlackHunter

At last versions you are not able to see how hungry predators are so it makes their attacks less predictable, they became even worse than before at some situations.

Shurp

Immersion:
    Mountain lion jumps on your pawn while he's out alone foraging for berries.
    Pawn beats mountain lion to death with his bare hands, then requires some fixing up by a competent doctor afterwards.
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/05/mountain-lion-mauled-trail-runner-man-fought-back-killed-it/

Lack of immersion:
   Arctic fox attacks pawn
   Pawn flails around uselessly, then is downed and eaten by the fox
   Player ragequits

So yes, because some elements aren't adequately developed, other tweaks had to be added to compensate.  Getting a warning when something is trying to eat your pawn isn't realistic.  But from a gameplay perspective, it gives the other pawns in the neighborhood the opportunity to help out.  So overall it works.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Demoulius

Im not sure what the issue is?  :-\

If you can handle yourself congratulations. You can ignore the popup because your presient mind already saw it happening. But for the players who dident its a good popup/event to respond to.

BoogieMan

All of that just to complain about the predator targeting notification? Really?

Furthermore, that alone has single handedly dumbed down the entire game? That's an astonishing exaggeration even for the internet.

AileTheAlien

Pro-tip: if your colonists routinely hunt down all predators on the map, they'll never hunt your people for food!

B@R5uk

I'd rather let predators hunt others animals and unforbid carcasses from time to time. Dogs will do hauling.

Shurp

Even better; leave a pile of corpses outside for all the random animals on the map to feed on (the predators will feed on the corpse-feeders).  Go out once and a while to thin the herd.

Note: doesn't work when it's -60'C outside.  Even rimworld animals aren't stupid enough to stick around when it's that cold.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Canute

Yeah with -60°C you are happy about every predator who walk inside your base to hunt one of you or eat your meals. :-)

ReZpawner

Yaaaaay! Fight fight fight!

It was more the people out for a walk that were the problem though. "I'll just go for a leisurely walk through this area full of polarbears". Sometimes it's nice to be notified of stuff like that, since the pawns aren't really aware of any dangers unless attacked.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Shurp on February 10, 2019, 09:01:59 PM
Even better; leave a pile of corpses outside for all the random animals on the map to feed on (the predators will feed on the corpse-feeders).  Go out once and a while to thin the herd.

Note: doesn't work when it's -60'C outside.  Even rimworld animals aren't stupid enough to stick around when it's that cold.

Predators will walk past fresh corpses to hunt pawns in some cases.  It's not safe practice.

AileTheAlien

I could have sworn there was a mod to stop predators hunting colonists, but I can't seem to find one...