If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on September 19, 2014, 09:00:39 PM
Hello again Ty, this is another problem. My game keeps freezing up making it unplayable. (This may be my computer) It just unresponds, but still plays the music. Any help?

If you post the log I can take a look. But I suspect a broader PC problem because nobody else has said this.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

skullywag

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on September 19, 2014, 09:00:39 PM
Hello again Ty, this is another problem. My game keeps freezing up making it unplayable. (This may be my computer) It just unresponds, but still plays the music. Any help?

modded or vanilla?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Iwillbenicetou

Modded, and no error shows up :(
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Iwillbenicetou

I think so. It only started happening a couple weeks ago... Maybe from mod overload...
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

freolic

Having no joy on my mac, I get a split second of sound as it goes to full screen and then a black screen with just the cursor. I can't find any log files and I've looked in all the places listed, I have to force quit the game. Sounds like I am having the same problem as JasonCD, I've deleted and reinstalled a dozen times, no joy.

Tynan

Quote from: freolic on October 01, 2014, 02:08:16 PM
Having no joy on my mac, I get a split second of sound as it goes to full screen and then a black screen with just the cursor. I can't find any log files and I've looked in all the places listed, I have to force quit the game. Sounds like I am having the same problem as JasonCD, I've deleted and reinstalled a dozen times, no joy.

There should definitely be log files. Please search any way you can. If there game displays the screen even for a split second there should be a log.

mbease

I have the same problem, where I launch the game to only see a black screen and the music playing. It seems like if I click around the black screen, other sounds happen (like I'm clicking a button?).

I'm on a Mac (Mavericks) and just downloaded the latest v7. If you tell me where the logs are on Mac, I'll upload right away.

Matthiasagreen

For those having issue o nMac, check the comments on this

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6439.0
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

mbease

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on October 01, 2014, 04:54:43 PM
For those having issue o nMac, check the comments on this

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6439.0

Oh wow, this worked (simply press cmd+esc to exit fullscreen mode after launch). I initially looked for a file to manually turn off fullscreen mode, thinking that might be the problem, but couldn't find the file.

freolic

Quote from: Tynan on October 01, 2014, 03:37:33 PM

There should definitely be log files. Please search any way you can. If there game displays the screen even for a split second there should be a log.

The only folder in the caches folder is a unity.ludeon studios.rimworld and it only has the config, saves and worlds folders. I've unhidden all the files and I still can't find it, there's nothing in the app file when I look at the package content and the only other file with the app file is version.txt. Don't know what why I can't find it :/

Tynan

Quote from: freolic on October 02, 2014, 01:35:12 PM

The only folder in the caches folder is a unity.ludeon studios.rimworld and it only has the config, saves and worlds folders. I've unhidden all the files and I still can't find it, there's nothing in the app file when I look at the package content and the only other file with the app file is version.txt. Don't know what why I can't find it :/

Ok. If you're on mac just hit Command+Esc and play in windowed mode for now, I'm working on a fix for this.

freolic

Quote from: Tynan on October 02, 2014, 01:59:12 PM
Quote from: freolic on October 02, 2014, 01:35:12 PM

Ok. If you're on mac just hit Command+Esc and play in windowed mode for now, I'm working on a fix for this.

Thank you, it's working now. Liking the new things

theonemat

So I when i loaded the game i got a small screen saying rimworld on the top ( looked like a small screen took up about 10%) and the rest of the screen was black. when i clicked it whited out and said that the program was not responding. windows 7. HELP.

TLE

So I ran into the black screen issue earlier today and found it odd since the game was working fine hours earlier. The only difference is that I'd added some new mods. So, obviously, it must be their fault. I removed 'em one by one until none were left but the problem persisted, so then I tried clearing my configs, clearing my saves, clearing my world, pretty much everything short of reinstalling.

Still no joy, so I checked the forums here and found the path to the logs. Reading through mine, I found the culprit:
Failed to find active mod Core at D:\Games\Rimworld\RimWorld581Win\Mods\Core

Yep. In my zeal to find the offending mod I'd forgotten that the game content itself is actually in there too. Anyhow, I figure with modding only getting more popular and commonly installed mods getting more numerous this mistake is going to get made more often. It may be worth adding a suggestion to make certain the Core folder is in the Mods directory to the troubleshooting steps in the OP.