Why Build On Mountain?

Started by kclace, March 03, 2019, 07:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: avilmask on March 06, 2019, 08:03:11 AM
I, for once, like infestations as an event. To make it more interesting, you could use "OneSpot" mod to allow multiple pawns stay at the same tile. It gives melee characters an edge when swarming someone, so choke defense becomes harder, since you can't kill insects by tanking just one at a time.
It may be masochistic, because I also like high hills and mountain biomes.

If you allow stacking to this degree grenades become a pretty ridiculous weapon!  There are ways to have AI clump this way in vanilla (the vanilla stacking rules are a bit bizarre) but the timing is hard.

avilmask

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on March 06, 2019, 10:52:37 AM
If you allow stacking to this degree grenades become a pretty ridiculous weapon!  There are ways to have AI clump this way in vanilla (the vanilla stacking rules are a bit bizarre) but the timing is hard.
Something like a colonist with a shield belt (for protection from grenades), that "holds the door" with a a lot insects (getting away from constant stream of melee attacks would be tricky). And pray to RNGesus that grenade lands at the right spot :D

EvadableMoxie

You're trading a large variety of potential threats for one specific threat. Instead of having to prepare for pod drops, sieges, sappers (possibly, depending how deep in you are), toxic fallout, etc, you only have to really worry about infestations.  So you can focus your preparations on that.  Get tanky animals, build chokes, load up on chain shotguns and grenades. 

The worst part for me is generally they destroy stuff before you can mobilize and lure them into a choke, since they can pop up right next to say, your your fabricator bench. That really sucks. But losing the colony to them generally isn't a problem for me.

kclace

QuoteYou're trading a large variety of potential threats for one specific threat. Instead of having to prepare for pod drops, sieges, sappers (possibly, depending how deep in you are), toxic fallout, etc, you only have to really worry about infestations.  So you can focus your preparations on that.  Get tanky animals, build chokes, load up on chain shotguns and grenades. 

This is probably the best point i've read. I just had three groups of sappers all armed with grenades or molotovs attack my flat base. It made me think of this quote immediately.

Before that happened, I was under the impression that as long as you had a decent kill box, you could handle almost anything. That sapper attack made me re-think that notion pretty quickly!

Canute

Why do you fear sappers ?
Unless they carry a few are rocket launchers they are harmless.
Move out with your pawns, flank them and shoot them before they start to play with your walls.

Asket

I am probably going to cut my tongue after this, but infestations are really easy.
Somehow they tend to spawn in the same place - just like sappers pathfinding.
So you do prepare a "warm-reception" room with few incendiary IEDS and watch them melting :3

Like someone has already mentioned - bugs also seem to lack firepower, against a skilled (12/15+?) melee pawn in good marine armor with plasteel sword they just suffer.

zizard

Quote from: Canute on March 11, 2019, 02:22:47 PM
Move out with your pawns, flank them and shoot them before they start to play with your walls.

Moving your pawns is actually an advanced concept for most people playing this game.

RicRider

Quote from: zizard on March 11, 2019, 06:35:59 PM
Moving your pawns is actually an advanced concept for most people playing this game.

I know RimWorld has the goal of leaving the planet on a ship but for me the goal has always been to automate everything so I don't have to play the game. I only interact with the game when I lay down blueprints or when I micromanage a raid as if I'm playing X com or something. I can't imagine how someone would survive a raid even in the mid game trying to let the AI fight without human input. It's bad enough watching "friendlies" trying to help. LOL.
##Coding Scrub##

kclace

Quote from: Canute on March 11, 2019, 02:22:47 PM

This was about three groups, ten total attackers. All with grenades or molotovs and all moving very fast. Since the attack was from three directions I couldn't confront outside the main wall. So instead I spread out my pawns to some internal barricades and waited for them to breach. I didn't take any casualties but they did tremendous damage to the inside of the base. Lots of fires!