[1.0] RWMS -- RimWorld ModSorter .. RimWorld mod sorter (Windows, Linux, OSX)

Started by shakeyourbunny, April 07, 2019, 07:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shakeyourbunny

Quote from: shakeyourbunny on November 06, 2020, 08:36:06 AM
I originally intended some time to merge both codebases of RimPY and RWMS to a newer hybrid version one, mainly for learning programming  crossplatform UIs in Python, but alas it didn't arrive.

Sorry, if that gets a bit offtopic, but I have to retract from the notion of "merging from RimPy". From the core sorting algorithm, it is painfully obvious that it is not really that better than the now built-in sorting of RimWorld itself, paired with an abysmal user interface. Also, the download option of it is not really that obvious and how to configure it.

In addition, if you are an non-Steam Rimworld user, you will have trouble using it, as it is mostly intended for use on the Windows platform and with Steam.

I'm really tempted to update RWMS myself now.

Canute

Yep, with the new syntax at the About.xml a special mod sorting/Load order database is a bit reduntant.
Except when the mod author forget to add the dependies/Load before/after.

But at the past your database did a good job.

shakeyourbunny

There is potential to do it better than stock RimWorld and RimPy. The latter one's algorithm is quite dumb, though.

Vulture051

Since I'm having issues and you say RimPy sucks I figured I would try yours.

Out of my 100+ mods it recognizes one.

shakeyourbunny

Yes, because it just does handle 1.0 mods and at that point in time, everyone moved on.

Currently, I still don't have time to do a rewrite with the "secret sauce" (not really secret if you read the code) which RimPy lacks and will lack until the author will get his things together. In addition, this also means that a lot of work - which I am gratefull to the many contributors - has continually be done to keep up.

If I say it flatly, the built-in RimWorld sort is better than RimPy ;-)

ruPal

Quote from: shakeyourbunny on November 08, 2020, 12:41:32 PM
Sorry, if that gets a bit offtopic, but I have to retract from the notion of "merging from RimPy".
That is good. Forking will not make RimPy better, the same for merging with "categorial sorting" approach. Categorial sorting will fail as soon as you stop updating DB and will add mess into DB itself. So if you are going to update RWMS, better solution is to create your own project from scratch.

shakeyourbunny

Quote from: ruPal on December 19, 2020, 06:49:38 AM
Sorry, if that gets a bit offtopic, but I have to retract from the notion of "merging from RimPy".
That is good. Forking will not make RimPy better, the same for merging with "categorial sorting" approach. Categorial sorting will fail as soon as you stop updating DB and will add mess into DB itself. So if you are going to update RWMS, better solution is to create your own project from scratch.
The only thing I would have taken from RimPy is the knowledge how to make a user interface in Python and use this as a base for making it multi-platform, like the game itself.

I am aware that you won't implement this because of its time consumption and you will not commit to this, at least not long-term.

Sorry, but RimPy is still inferior even compared to the built-in sorting :)

ruPal

That is something that requires examples and a description of the testing methodology that lead you to this conlcusion. Currently that is just your opinion and I cannot take such remarks seriously without explanations. Since that there is no need to ask for apology.

shakeyourbunny

I would suggest to take any further discussion of your utility in your thread, not here.

Thank you.

KoKauH

The only thing I would have taken from RimPy is the knowledge how to make a user interface in Python and use this as a base for making it multi-platform, like the game itself.

I am aware that you won't implement this because of its time consumption and you will not commit to this, at least not long-term.

Sorry, but RimPy is still inferior even compared to the built-in sorting :)

I'm not much of a programmer, but wouldn't the best bet be to make an algorithm that uses Rimworld's own sort first, and then use a database of known 'bad' mods and their conflicts just to change the position of these few mods that are incorrectly sorted without touching the Rimworld's initial sort?

This would make the database much easier to maintain as you would only need to keep track of conflicting mods and mods that aren't appropriately configured for the autosort.

Canute

Or just report "bad" mod to the author so he can add "load before xyz" at his own or "load after zyx" for the other mod author whoever responde first.

KoKauH

Quote from: Canute on March 01, 2021, 02:50:52 PM
Or just report "bad" mod to the author so he can add "load before xyz" at his own or "load after zyx" for the other mod author whoever responde first.

Not many old modders respond for updates when they don't play the game, and newer modders might be annoyed with updating their mods for every other old/new mod that comes up, especially if they themselves don't use it. No judgement, of course, such is life and it's not their responsibility to support such mods.

There are many mods from 1.0, 1.1 and previous versions that still work perfectly well on 1.2 but are essentially abandoned, auto-sort fails big time on these, and if you have 10-20 older mods, they wouldn't play well with each other on auto-sort.

Usually, it's the wild-west with smaller mods and even bigger ones in other games, I don't see Rimworld being much different with so many mods available. Sole modders keeping their mod dependencies/conflicts/incompatibilities is hard. Community databases are good for that, you never know who's going to download 400 mods, half of which have never heard of the other 200.