Your favourite colonists

Started by ParagonTerminus, July 20, 2014, 06:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyNameIsSpyder

Quote from: MyNameIsMike on February 17, 2015, 01:08:04 AM
This one guy, he was my first cryptosleeper. When we pulled him out, he was one of three guys, all of whom seemed to want to kill eachother. He was the only one who survived because I set up a bunch of turrets around the caskets before opening (sorry, I'm a wimp). Anyway, he had an infection 3 of his limbs, was already missing the 4th, had cataracts, a liver infection, and was stuck inside the casket with some scarabs, which I can't imagine helped. After nearly losing my colony to the aforementioned scarabs, I stuck him in a prisoner bed, and amputated his remaining limbs, not expecting him to survive because I had not one single medicine on hand. Somehow, he survived the next month with only peglegs and no arms, until I sold the gold he'd had with him in his casket, bought bionic eyes, arms and legs, and turned him into a badass. I named him Fighter, and now he's the best cook on the planet, hauls around a minigun, and is the veteran of about 5 huge battles. ;D
This is odd.

Hoovytaurus

A non random character, Ernest 'Chef' Szoka (I probably said that wrong).

On my first big colony of five years, I found him in a cryopod and successfully recruited him, not knowing he'd end up to be the leader of the place. The guy was a tank. A brute. He had all the good skills, and by the end I had renamed him to 'Chief' just because he helped out so much with crafting, cooking and the likes. We were rolling in money because of his weapons.

In my Alpha 9 colony, look who's on that slave ship. Yup, Ernest 'Chef' Szoka. I promptly bought him, renamed him and welcomed him into our colony. He's not as badass as before, since we have other people to fulfill our needs, but he still has a special place in my heart.

The second is Big Red. Not sure if a random character or not, he might be. The guy looked like somebody straight out of Texas so I had to give him a cowboy hat and some power armor, which I did. I switched to red power armor as soon as I found some so his name could be true.

Then he suffered brain damage. I sticked him in a pod, or rather told him to shuffle over to one, and got the extended surgery mod. Worked my ass off for the 500 gold I needed, just for Big Red. Meanwhile he was being fixed up I decorated his room to the max, just because he survived brain damage, and called him co-leader along with Chief.

The third is Tali. Spacer named Tail, decided to rename her and give her fitting stuff from Apparello. She wasn't that special aside from providing our colony with literally hundreds of sculptures. Wherever my colonists go now, they have at the very least a very pleasant buff, if they stick around it goes up to beautiful.

But what made her my favorite colonist was irony. Irony of fate, to be specific. I'd paste the story here but it's a bit long, you can find it in the stories tab with the title Irony of Fate. Plus, it was Tali. Who doesn't like Tali?

CodyRex123

In my town of Microton, i have a few, but let me start out with one of the first 3 survivors, who has a shooting skill of 18, (Target practice and cybernetic storm is helpful lol.)
Name: Strapping
Profession Before Incident: Stalwart Farmer
Construction: 13, Growing: 13, Mining: 12, Melee (Stated shooting above): 15, Dis guy is a absute beast with his weapon Cyber Rifle.
Now onto my true favrite, Hes a new one, and a melee Straggler killer.
Name: Tomoko
Found him on Slave Ship, but before that: Hiveworld Drone.
His skills aren't so flushed out, but his melee is already 15 and he has cyber legs for speed to chase with.
Dragons!

r3dp

Quote from: ParagonTerminus on July 20, 2014, 06:13:32 AM

Vladimir is a badass guy because he has an L-15 LMG, a badass trench coat, a badass bulletproof vest, and a badass general feeling. Oh, and it seems like he's Russian, and he's a politician with a machine gun. The only thing that would make him more badass is a gas mask.

YOUR FRIEND VLADIMIR IS ALIVE! He visited me a while back in my colony. I have proof!

wh72

My favorite is a mercenary chef named lucian who murders everything with his shooting 16 makes tons of swords that make the colony rich with his level 20 GODLIKE crafting and singlehandedly destroys entire raids with a pistol and doesnt even get hurt (i'm not exaggerating)

BinaryBlackhole

My favourite was chef he was my best defender and crafter who in his spare time cooked the food without him my colony would have died.

MyNameIsMike

Quote from: MyNameIsSpyder on February 19, 2015, 07:39:39 AM
Quote from: MyNameIsMike on February 17, 2015, 01:08:04 AM
This one guy, he was my first cryptosleeper. When we pulled him out, he was one of three guys, all of whom seemed to want to kill eachother. He was the only one who survived because I set up a bunch of turrets around the caskets before opening (sorry, I'm a wimp). Anyway, he had an infection 3 of his limbs, was already missing the 4th, had cataracts, a liver infection, and was stuck inside the casket with some scarabs, which I can't imagine helped. After nearly losing my colony to the aforementioned scarabs, I stuck him in a prisoner bed, and amputated his remaining limbs, not expecting him to survive because I had not one single medicine on hand. Somehow, he survived the next month with only peglegs and no arms, until I sold the gold he'd had with him in his casket, bought bionic eyes, arms and legs, and turned him into a badass. I named him Fighter, and now he's the best cook on the planet, hauls around a minigun, and is the veteran of about 5 huge battles. ;D
This is odd.
He was, rather.

Pink Photon

Shepards the navy scientist had her leg blown off by a single shot from a sniper rifle at the beginning of a battle against pirates. I haven't had an exotics traders in forever, so she's been stuck with a peg leg. She slowly limps to the hospital to treat wounded colonists, to the kitchen to prepare meals, and to the tailor's workbench to make clothing. When the base is attacked she slowly limps to her firing spot and eliminates the invaders one by one using that same sniper rifle.

Darkhymn

I had a female colonist - one of my starting three - in alpha 6 who had her leg shot off with an arrow. It was before prosthetics, so from then on, the other surviving member of the three - the doctor - visited her daily to see to her needs and chat a little, and life went on.
The colony flourished for a while, but in its third year, the colonists couldn't get a break. Blights kept taking their crops, a siege devastated the power grid and the darkness and hunger caused a few colonists to break and be subsequently arrested. The colony's heavy soldier was killed in the counter-attack that broke the siege, covering his retreating, wounded comrades. Another died of his wounds. Then a ship part crash landed nearby, and the men started going crazy. The two men in prison repeatedly bashed down their doors, and after one such escape, one killed the other, and was killed in the fight to subdue him. Down to five beleaguered colonists, the three remaining combatants set out to put an end to the droning of that infernal AI. One messy battle later, they returned triumphant and bleeding. Through all of this, our legless survivor simply heard the news from her friend the doctor, there in her room.
The wounded colonists recovered, though the marksman had lost an eye, and the colony began to stabilize again.

The attack came at night.

With the power reserves still depleted and the frontier geothermal plant yet to be rebuilt, the lights in the facility were turned off, the hydroponics facility and its food sacrificed to provide power to the defensive perimeter. The soldiers took up defensive positions, and the battle began. The turrets didn't last long, but they served their purpose, and the soldiers began a slow retreat. The doctor had to rush onto the battlefield to save one of the heavies and return him to battle, patched up but hardly healthy, and - one by one - the soldiers were overwhelmed, fighting in the close quarters of the colony proper. As the last soldier fell, the doctor - who had long since joined the fight with her pistol - retreated to the living quarters. Wounded and exhausted, she made her last stand in the doorway to her one-legged friend's room. The one legged woman watched her friend bleed out there in the doorway, helpless. She was the last to die, crippled and alone.

popster99

my first colonist i ever had was trigger whitehouse his shooting was amazing and he had amazing traits

silenced

Well, you always have this one colonist that keeps the whole colony alive.

There had been that guy with 20 shooting, 16 social after a long long time of colony life. After injuring his enemies with his superior sniper rifle, he wardened them with all his love and care to make them fellow colonists. While no warfare was going on, he was hunting deer and other game to give the cook something fine to work with. He had not been one of those lucky ones that left the place on the spaceship though, got killed by overwhelming mechanoid enemies while hunting ...
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ...

b0rsuk

Yegor the assassin from The Deadly Thiefs

I captured him without inflicting any permanent injuries on him. He has pretty much three skills: Shooting at 12(passion), Melee at 15(burning passion) and Art at 3(passion). He can't haul, craft, grow, research or clean...

But wait. A bionic eye.

I started thinking. Do I harvest this guy for the eye ? 95 recruitment difficulty is not that easy. But not impossible. I decided to give it a try, I have an Empath with 11 skill in social and a burning passion. It could wait. I lacked a really good shooter, and had most other roles filled.

It took less than I anticipated. Several days at 3% chance, believe or not no savescumming. And boy, was it worth it !

Randy Random 100%, rainforest, flat terrain. Steel is a bit of a problem. After some initial pirate raids it was quiet for a very long time. It made me nervous. I was building in the open, not a single room created by mining. I was gradually replacing my wooden structures with stone, and used wood on perimeter just to break the line of sight. No killbox, just clever positioning of turrets, and a loose base shaped like an empty square.

When the raid came, it was a siege. With a sniper rifle - I had none, and I would have to make a long detour for dubious advantage. I had a battery of 4 EMP mortars waiting and exactly 4 shells from an earlier siege. I decided to wait until the mortars are finished, and try to blow them apart.

Before they finished setting up their mortars, The Deadly Thiefs called a SECOND sieging party for a pincer attack. I was looking at 4 mortars. But the second siege had no sniper rifle. I called Yegor and told him to go for it.

He made mincemeat of the second siege base, and got the only survival rifle guy while he was constructing sandbags. It was so fast it wasn't even funny. Guys from the other siege base were walking all over the map to take steel from the second siege base, and I was able to shoot at them as they were passing. Pretty soon they assaulted me.

By the time Yegor was already heading for his well-earned sleep. I had turrets hidden in horseshoe-shaped wooden perimeters. I deployed pistol guys around corners, and waited. The sniper couldn't do anything in offense thanks to my wooden barricades. I flanked him with a pistol and that was it. A single wound was from the improvised turret, and was soon healed.

Now Yegor owns a sniper rifle. I outfitted the rest with pump shotguns and a looted heavy machinegun. I don't think anything short of several scythers can take out Yegor at range. I just need to give him backup.

DigitalCore

My 1st favourite is Hawk. Let me tell you about Hawk.

Hawk was one of the first guys to drop on the godforsaken lands of Procyon XII. A seasoned combat engineer, he had a pretty frightening shooting skill (base 14), could do basic medicine, and was just generally a badass. He very quickly picked up construction and got the job of building stuff around the base.

Naturally, he tended to get a limb shot off every time I sent him outside to fight. EVERY. SINGLE. GODDAMN TIME. Even though he was crippled several times, I never gave up on him, though, and had my doctor, Jen, keep him fed and patched up as best she could.

Now, he's about 90% machine, with everything from a power claw to a synthetic liver (ExtendedSurgery).

My second is the ruthless assassin Jarred. He took non-violent colonists deep within the mountain to a very quiet, secluded 3x3 room, in which he shot. On the way out he would seal the autodoor. No-one ever knew until the day he died what he had been doing. Crazy bastard.
Introducing the new and improved killbox: the Minefield! Now with 30% more explosions! Guaranteed to kill all those pesky tribals that keep visiting you at night.

bartekkru100

I have few of my favourite colonists from my first colony, that is now 5 years old:

First one is Jack, he's the best cook, medic and fighter. He freforms all surgeries, thanks to him most of other fighting colonists now have bionic body parts. He was one of the first three, he was 54 when he arrived

Rosales - another of the survivors from crashed ship, he's now 70, the best fighter along with Jack, he's also miner and has and AI Core implanted into his brain

Edie - Only female in the first three, she recruits all the prisoners, she's also a researcher, can't fight

Chalys - She was the first one to join the colony founders, arrived as a volunteer minutes after crash, she's level 20 farmer

Engie - She's a the best crafterin the colony, she's made most of bionic parts for colonists, one of the first to join

Vlad - He sucked almost at everything except for art, when he arrived, now he's an artist and is a decent fighter

Serir - Helps Jack in the kitchen and Engie in the workshop.

Renata - Has big problems with her back, so she was the first one to go bionic, she's a fighter

I like all of my colonists, but don't want to talk too much...

Segrog

Mine was Wicked, an 18 year old male. He was a criminal mastermind as an adult and a thief as child, so he was very bad-ass.