What causes death?

Started by Pangaea, July 07, 2019, 02:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Obviously losing an important organ like the brain or heart will do it. But that's not always the case. When no important body part like that is destroyed, what causes a pawn (or animal) to die?

vzoxz0

Loss of consciousness I believe. Below a certain threshold you just die. There might be some form of aggregated damage and a stochastic switch as well (for knockdowns).

Kirby23590

If i'm correct. The more colonists you have, the higher chance of NPCs dying even if it's only their legs being aimed at.

The chances of human Pawns dying is something like 50% or 60% while your guys have 30% or something like that, sometimes if they go down a lot there's a chance of death. It happened to one of my colonists i have in a caravan when he was in go-juice and yayo withdraw and fell down a lot until Uneventual death.

And of course if they bleed to death, and there's a chance of dying from minor or serious blood loss which i kind of witnessed from modded animals and some rhinos from vanilla

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Limdood

another cause of death is a vital body part falling below 0% efficiency.  It can happen with any vital organ, or things like the neck/head/torso.  Torso is particularly common since it gets hit so much, it's certainly possible for the torso to drop to like 2/40 hp (5% hp means 5% efficiency), then get an infection which reduces body part efficiency by 10% before it heals up enough.  This is also how some diseases (mostly infection) CAN kill before they hit 100%.  If the disease ticks up from minor to major, or major to serious, or serious to extreme, and you don't have enough body part efficiency on the affected body part, then you're a goner.

Additionally, several negative HeDiffs will kill at 100%....hypothermia, heat stroke, blood loss, any disease, etc.

As to what kirby said, I'm sure it's not JUST unconsciousness.  For example, anesthetic alone will never kill a colonist, nor falling asleep of exhaustion or smoking smokeleaf while your "movement" ability is critically low (dropping movement to 0 incapacitates you).  Same with visitors, prisoners, etc.  I think incapacitation has to be triggered by damage (though i'm not sure).  I DO know that Kirby was correct that NPC pawns gain a separate much higher chance of dying when downed due to injury based on population limit.  Each storyteller has thresholds of pawns they try to keep you at.  Have too few pawns, and NPCs will die less often from pain, and pawn generating events (refugee, wanderer, etc.) will happen more often.  Have just the right amount, and you won't get behind-the-scenes game help anymore.  Have too many, and NPCs are more likely to die and pawn events are really rare...also, slave traders stop appearing.  Have WAY too many pawns and NPCs gain a crazy high chance to die when downed from injury, and pawn generating events other than refugee (which spawns a larger-than-normal raid to balance it) are virtually nonexistent.

DaedricAstartes

Yeah there is nothing worse than being one shotted. I have often asked this same question to myself.

Bozobub

I have found that death is caused by excessive lack of breathing, more often than not ;D.
Thanks, belgord!

Pangaea

Quote from: vzoxz0 on July 07, 2019, 02:41:27 AM
Loss of consciousness I believe. Below a certain threshold you just die. There might be some form of aggregated damage and a stochastic switch as well (for knockdowns).

Wanted to go back to this thread, because several times I rescued a pawn and was either in the process of patching him up, or with a doctor on the way. Then they simply died, despite having 4-5 hours left according to the Health tab.

Turns out they lose 20% consciousness when their blood loss increases to 45%. If they happen to have various injuries that mean their consciousness level is already pretty bad, that extra dip can mean instant death.

At least my doctor is happy about it out though. That's reassuring  ;D

Canute

QuoteTurns out they lose 20% consciousness when their blood loss increases to 45%. If they happen to have various injuries that mean their consciousness level is already pretty bad, that extra dip can mean instant death.
Did you watch some medical/hospital tv series ?
When the ER doc/medical try to keep the patient awake while he patch up the hole's at the body.

B@R5uk

Quote from: Pangaea on October 01, 2019, 03:07:44 AMIf they happen to have various injuries that mean their consciousness level is already pretty bad, that extra dip can mean instant death.
This is strange. I used this approach a lot to get useful prisoners alive: shoot them a little then wait till they pass out due to blood loss.

Shurp

Quote from: B@R5uk on October 01, 2019, 12:17:39 PM
This is strange. I used this approach a lot to get useful prisoners alive: shoot them a little then wait till they pass out due to blood loss.

But the total damage is small, so bleeding out is sufficient to drop them without killing them.  (Does falling due to blood loss reduce the frequency of auto-death?)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Limdood

very notably, the pawn in the picture has brain damage, which causes DIRECT consciousness loss....generally "pain" and "blood loss" alone won't kill due to 0% consciousness.  Arm, leg, torso, even head injuries just cause body part efficiency drop (which can kill if an infection hits while it's badly badly damaged) and pain and bleeding.  It's the pain and the bleeding that cause the consciousness loss.  That would need to be combined with other consciousness loss...brain damage or maybe drugs or certain sicknesses/infections to cause that particular type of death.

B@R5uk

Quote from: Shurp on October 01, 2019, 07:38:30 PMDoes falling due to blood loss reduce the frequency of auto-death?
Not just reduce, auto-death is totally disabled.