Mods to Avoid the Micromanagement of Combat

Started by TC, August 30, 2019, 02:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TC

I like Rimworld, but I don't like combat. More specifically, I don't like the micromanagement of combat. I am looking for mods that shift the balance so that careful preparation before battle matters more, and detailed control of colonists during battle matters less. Here are three mods which I believe fit that description:

• Combat Extended
  • Defensive Positions
  • Defensive Machine Gun Turret Pack
Can anyone suggest other mods along these lines?

In particular, are there mods that do any of the following?

• Makes traps reusable?
  • Allows colonists to improve their shooting skill via target practice?
  • Makes mortars more accurate? (so they actually hit what they're aimed at sometimes)
  • Makes doors and walls more durable? (so they don't crumble in minutes against unarmed assailants)

-TC

Pangaea

If you don't like combat, it seems a little odd to use a mod called Combat Extended? Presumably it makes it rather more complex.

Haven't tried to mod anything myself so not sure how much work it is, but reducing the mortar inaccuracy should be pretty straight-forward (sorry..). It's a value defined in the XML files.
<forcedMissRadius>13</forcedMissRadius>
Think the mortar is in Buildings_Security.xml

Limdood

Quote from: TC on August 30, 2019, 02:37:02 PM

• Makes traps reusable?
  • Makes mortars more accurate? (so they actually hit what they're aimed at sometimes)
  • Makes doors and walls more durable? (so they don't crumble in minutes against unarmed assailants)

-TC

You know what?  I'd be quite interested in any mods that do any of these as well.

BUT i can at least answer the last one!  Rainbeau Flambe has some mods that add concrete to the game.  Concrete is more durable than granite by a small margin (i think like 600 or 650 hp total), but also unlocks steel reinforced and plasteel reinforced concrete with machining research, and those walls have 950 and 2000 hp respectively....plasteel reinforced doors have like 1430 hp too, about 2.5x as much as a granite wall.  The mod CAN be used on it's own, but you have to buy the materials to make concrete.  If you have fertile fields mod (also by Rainbeau flambe), you can dig up the sand and crushed rocks that concrete requires (which actually makes it arguably cheaper, faster to build, and tougher than any other walls....on the downside, concrete has a rather high sell price, and is produced in rather large bulk, so it can boost your wealth fast or tempt you to just generate concrete and sell it to quickly be able to buy whatever you want)

TC

Quote from: Pangaea on August 30, 2019, 03:25:13 PM
If you don't like combat, it seems a little odd to use a mod called Combat Extended? Presumably it makes it rather more complex.

I have no objection to complexity – just micromanagement. Combat Extended adds embrasures and barbed wire, making it much easier to defend a fortified position.

TC

Limdood,

Thank you for the suggestions. I've installed the two Rainbeau Flambe mods you mentioned, and I'm trying them now.

-TC

Crow_T

Quote from: TC on August 30, 2019, 02:37:02 PM
I like Rimworld, but I don't like combat. More specifically, I don't like the micromanagement of combat. I am looking for mods that shift the balance so that careful preparation before battle matters more, and detailed control of colonists during battle matters less. Here are three mods which I believe fit that description:

• Combat Extended
  • Defensive Positions
  • Defensive Machine Gun Turret Pack
Can anyone suggest other mods along these lines?

Check out Misc. Training
Mortar Accuracy Mod

Achtung mod used to have an experimental auto combat thing, not sure if it still does but it does have some tweaks.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Kirby23590

This mod not might fit the list here. but...

Show Draftee's Weapon... Will show what weapons that your pawn are wielding. In the in the Colonist Bar.

I used that to know if my guys are drafted or not. Particularly when a raid is over or when all manhunters are dead, so i know that i left someone drafted.

Trust me this might reduce a bit of micromanagement for drafting and un-drafting your pawns to avoid starving them and making them unhappy if you forget one of them standing there in the defenses not doing anything.

Though i know a mod called Search and Destroy, i didn't try it, but i heard it's some like auto-combat so pawns if are told you or enabled S&D for them, they will chase enemies for you mostly when they are running away. Since i played some games with micro. But i think this a bit lowers that micro.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Canute

QuoteParticularly when a raid is over or when all manhunters are dead,
I use Miscellaneous for this.
QuoteColonist Keys: Place/Group
   This allows you to use the keys 6, 7, 8, 9 to create teams
   The key 0 releases all drafted colonists, BACKSPACE jumps randomly into your colony
   (Note: This needs a new colony to work; the keys can be reconfigured)
But i am sure other mod's like Achtung or defensive positions got similar functions.

Kirby23590

Cool, thanks @Canute!

I guess i will use that too, but still show draftee's weapon is still my go too mod, It's better for it to tell me what weapons are my guys using than to know if they are ranged or melee. It's a QOL for me, to know for my sniper.

Thanks! :D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Nafensoriel

If you want an entirely hands-off combat system try doing a melee only game(various mods for this) and only use the "search and destroy" mod for your part in the fight.

Because it's melee there isn't much you could really do anyway besides positioning(which you can still do if you want) and they'll do a pretty decent job on their own.

Limdood

There are separate mods for JUST embrasures, if you wanted to get that, but NOT have all the other baggage in combat extended

Canute

You mention allready the Concrete from Rainbeau, that include embrasures too.

Pangaea

It looks like Achtung may be up your alley? Not tried it out myself (yet), but the description looks intriguing.

QuoteIn a nutshell you can:
- position your drafted colonists along a line
- move them in formation
- give orders to multiple colonists at once
- force jobs so they get uninterrupted attention
- haul and repair outside allowed areas

Thanks for the tip about Show draftee's weapon. Will definitely try out that in my next game, as it's so easy to forget who wields what when you get a bunch of guys. At times I actually mock create a caravan just to see who had what weapons, and crucially, who didn't have any weapons due to being downd earlier.