Healer mech serum on torso

Started by Pangaea, September 25, 2019, 03:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

This is sort of theoretical since I haven't got a single mission with these items yet in the current save. I have quite a few people with messed up torsos, including a Wimp with a double-torso damage. Naturally the extra 9% pain means she goes down if somebody sneezes in her general direction. If I were to get a healer mech serum and 'waste' it on her, would it heal both torso scars, or only one?

Wish the base game had a way to fix torsos tbh. It's so crippling because it lowers their survival chance, and we can't do anything about it, except very expensive healer mech serum treatments (which really should be reserved for more serious, non-treatable conditions). Seems a bit odd that we can put in bionic hearts and fix sight (also a complex issue irl), but a few scratches in the gut? Sorry, that's out or reach of modern post-Earth science :sad:

I've looked up some of the relevant mods, but seem so overpowered that I don't want to use them, even if it would be nice to fix torsos and noses.

Canute

I am unsure if the serum heal all or just random one thing.
But why you don't check it out yourself with spawn one serum with dev tools then reload the safegame.

As medicin mod, i prefer RBSE (Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion) over EPoE.
You can remove scar's and such things but that isn't cheap.
And maybe at one of your next colonies you should try out Rim of Magic, then you can use your Priest to remove scars. Maybe made let your wimp be the priest ! :-)

Limdood

AFAIK, healer mech serum works on only the ONE worst injury.  There are several irate forum posts I recall from people who woke a pawn from cryptosleep after finally getting a mealer mech serum...only to have the serum remove cryptosleep sickness instead of what they wanted healed.  Seems to imply quite heavily that healer mech serum only heals one injury....it isn't RANDOM, but it is up to the game to determine "worst" injury, and who knows what algorithm it uses....is a missing leg a worse injury than 2 points of brain damage?  Is a 4 damage torso scar worse than a missing thumb? 

Dev mode spawning a healer serum to TEST what it will do, then loading a save from right before that and playing from there seems like a perfectly acceptable "non-cheaty" course of action.

Pangaea

Quote from: Limdood on September 25, 2019, 09:11:56 PM
Dev mode spawning a healer serum to TEST what it will do, then loading a save from right before that and playing from there seems like a perfectly acceptable "non-cheaty" course of action.

After spending some time to figure out how to actually spawn stuff in dev mode, some healer mech serums magically popped up.

Unfortunately it only removed one of the scars, which makes this pretty darn pointless (I hoped it would affect one organ/body part, since the wiki says it will remove asthma from both lungs for instance). It didn't even remove the worst condition, although 4% vs 5% pain is marginal I suppose.

If I ever get a quest with one of these babies, I'm better off using it on the Frail person, or saving it for future brain scars or suchlike.

A little disappointed tbh, considering these things are super-rare. Understand why people get upset when it heals the "wrong" condition.

That said, I used it on a brain scar in a previous game (the one I wrote about), and that person also had a chopped off finger or suchlike, and the serum did heal the "correct" wound then, despite the wiki saying limbs are ranked higher than scars. Obviously that logic is a fair bit more detailed.

Anyway, I can only reiterate again that I wish the base game had a way to deal with small issues like this instead of tempting people to reach for overpowered fullscale bionics mods. As seen from the pictures above, technically there is a way, but it's a horrible waste of healer mech serums. But I care about my pawns and want them to be healthy  :'(

Hans Lemurson

I think you should try removing her torso first, to force the healer mech serum to regenerate it entirely.  I've heard it works well for arms and legs.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Canute

You know the torso is that thing between head,arms and legs ? :-)
Remove torso -> dead because you have lost many vital organs.
Then you don't need a healer mech serum, you will need the rescurect mech serum ! :-)

Pangaea

Indeed. In RimWorld the torso isn't just a part of the human body: everything is connected to the torso. If you lose that, you're dead. Which is why it's frustrating to not be able to heal it up as well. With a damaged torso, a pawn will be less likely to survive combat, and they are already very likely to take damage to the torso.

The tree view here shows it quite well:

B@R5uk

Quote from: Pangaea on September 25, 2019, 03:33:49 PM...including a Wimp with a double-torso damage. Naturally the extra 9% pain means she goes down if somebody sneezes in her general direction...
Try to don her into war mask or something similar that increase pain threshold.

Pangaea

True, I could do that, but since we're approaching late game, think I prefer to keep her in an advanced helmet or marine helmet.

As an aside, do anybody know the chances for getting unique items in quests?

Sure, a gold masterwork ikwa or silver longsword is expensive, but hardly something to actually use. Seems to me that many of the quest rewards mean the quests aren't actually worth doing. Especially on the higher difficulties where sending people away from the base is (doubly) dangerous. They can die on the road if assaulted (and taking on bases with 10-15 people isn't a walk in the park), and if you get a bad raid at home, the whole base can go down in flames.

I'm sure randomness is involved, but given how few of these events pop up, it can be frustrating to keep getting "dud" items :-/

Kirby23590

I don't like throwing Wimps into a fight since they mostly go down, even with power armor or the best armor. They go down fast.

Mostly i give Wimps or Non-combatants a Shield Belt and make them avoid fighting and working in safe areas, and someone shooting them will only hit their energy shields and mostly making them avoid enemy brawlers, manhunters or mechanoid scythers or large groups of ranged.

If you want to heal their scars without wasting a lot or waiting for a quest for one of the Heal mech serums. One of those evil Luciferium drugs sometimes found sold by traders or in ancient ruins will heal those scars. They will heal those scars if given time and days and your guy might 100% addicted to one since it's a guaranteed addiction to it, but the problem is Luciferium addiction is forever and can't be removed and the withdraw means more mental breaks and eventually death. I would normally avoid these drugs but some others say they are good if you take them, but i don't know. They are better for selling than turning one of your pawns into Luciferium addicts just to heal a scar on a torso. I rather put them into cyro waiting for a healer mech serum quest or give one of them a war mask or just give them go-juice or yayo instead.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Shurp

Shouldn't healer mech serum take care of luciferium addiction?

(Irrespective of whether it actually *does*, it seems like it *should*...)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Kirby23590

Quote from: Shurp on September 27, 2019, 07:19:54 PM
Shouldn't healer mech serum take care of luciferium addiction?

(Irrespective of whether it actually *does*, it seems like it *should*...)

Here's a shocker... It doesn't work. Luciferium addiction is uncurable even with a healer mech serum , sorry...

It would have been more dramatic if there were spoilers. :P

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

B@R5uk

Luciferium is a hell of a drug. Even death cannot cure it. I mean if you apply ressurector mech serum to a corpse then everything including missing head, legs, hands, organs, every mangled scar will be healed. Everything except luciferium addiction.

Canute

QuoteLuciferium is a hell of a drug.
Yeah, created by a Nanoengineer named Lucifer! :-)

But basicly it is unlogicial that a ressurector mech serum don't cure it.
Luciferium are nanite's they can't self replicate. That's the reason why you need to consume from time to time to restock the burned out ones.
When the pawn is dead and all Luciferium nanite's got burned out, the mech serum should restore the whole pawn, like he is able to restore lost bodyparts too.

BUT ofcouse Luciferium is made from Lucifer, he maybe add trap at his nanites, so a few of them allways stay inactive and when the rescurrector nanites come's close to them, they are able to reprogram them into Luciferium ones ! :-)

Limdood

Quote from: Kirby23590 on September 26, 2019, 10:46:12 PM
I don't like throwing Wimps into a fight since they mostly go down, even with power armor or the best armor. They go down fast.

I tend to use a large variety of weapons and weapon ranges.  My most fragile pawns generally get snipers and sit in the back (my basic defensive setup is a large room with walls and sandbags in a "V" shape, with the entrance to the room at the wide opening of the "V"....this means my pawns can effectively stand behind one another, but they won't hit each other because the bullets are angling inwards while the defensive line angles outwards.  It also means that the pawns in the back are VERY rarely targeted, so wimps on the back lines would be feasible.

That being said, I imagine i could also use them as combat runners, the same way I use my nonviolent pawns.  I give them a shield belt and sit them JUST behind the first safe door from the firefight.  Those pawns' jobs are to to run out and rescue downed pawns, run out and put out fires, and if I'm feeling really brazen, send them out to capture downed attackers.