crashed pod survivors

Started by fatwilf, January 17, 2020, 08:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatwilf

hi all, returning to RW after a year or so and i'm remembering what a brilliant game this is.

a small question, am I missing something or is there no way to treat the survivors who crash in escape pods where they land?
the only right click options are usually rescue / capture etc. but there is no 'treat' option I can see.
when someone is going to die in 5 hours and its a 4 hour walk to the victim and back, it is sometimes close!
this also applies to people downed in other areas of the map (i.e. far away from your base)

i had the idea of creating a medical sleeping spot right next to the injured person and then rescue them to that bed 1-2 squares away, so you can treat them there?
but the rescuer would still have to go back to the base for medicine?

any suggestions?

LWM

First, there are almost certainly mods that let you do field medicine; I can't remember what they are at the moment.

As far as treating them out there with the basic controls, you can select the victim and under their ...health? tab, you can specify which medicine they get.  So you can put them in a spot out there and treat them without medicine.

I suppose you could also put a tiny 1-cell stockpile for medicine out there, critical priority, haul some stuff out there, treat, etc.  But then, of course, your medicine is degrading out in the field for a while.

fatwilf

"you could also put a tiny 1-cell stockpile for medicine out there, critical priority, haul some stuff out there, treat, etc"

thats not a bad idea, the person doing the treating could haul the medicine out, and get the leftovers hauled back afterwards

but, is there a way i can make people hold medicine in their inventory?

i'd prefer a solution without mods, as i prefer to stick to the true version of the game.

Canute

Maybe you should check out the 2 options you got there.
Capture = get the pawn and put him to the closest free prisoner bed.
Rescue = get the pawn and put him to the closest free hospital bed.

So when you just put a sleeping spot next to the crashed survivor and set the sleeping spot to medical, you can treat him right at the spot he land.
Don't forget to set the crashed pawn not to used medicin or your pawn would walk back home to get some.
Ofcourse there are mod's that allow you to treat pawn's without medical bed or carry medicin at their backpack.

LWM

Quote from: fatwilf on January 17, 2020, 09:33:44 AM
but, is there a way i can make people hold medicine in their inventory?

i'd prefer a solution without mods, as i prefer to stick to the true version of the game.

I think that "with mods" is how most of us play the game  ;D  It's certainly well within "the true version" - RW is meant to be pretty flexible and let people play how they want to.

Anyway, to answer your question: with the correct mod.  ::)  No way in vanilla.

ColtonCub3D

Quotebut, is there a way i can make people hold medicine in their inventory?

There actually is a way to do this in vanilla, cheesy as it may be. You can set a medical spot next to the crash landed survivor as per usual, but then start a caravan with your doctor with only himself and no items and select a random destination on the map. Then, you can select him, right-click some medicine to load into caravan, then draft him over to the survivor and cancel the caravan. He'll rescue him to the medical spot you just placed, and have the medicine right there on him.

Hope this helped!

B@R5uk

Quote from: ColtonCub3D on January 22, 2020, 01:30:40 PMThen, you can select him, right-click some medicine to load into caravan...

Brilliant!!!

LWM

Will they use it to treat the survivor, or do they have to drop the meds first (which is back to the meds deteriorating scenario)

B@R5uk

Actually medicine deteriorates very slowly, so there is not so much concern about leaving it in the open for a day or two. Deterioration rate is 6 per day and medicine has HP of 60. So even after entire day of lying around it will loose no more than 10% of its health which is not even price-dropping amount (assuming it had full health before).

Oh! And that was for herbal medicine! Industrial-type medicine deteriorates for 2 HP per day.

Shurp

How determined are you to save him?  If you send several colonists out with construction supplies, you can build a small hut with a sleeping spot (set to medical), a campfire, and a medicine stockpile.  Then rescue or capture as desired.  That's usually faster than trying to drag him back to base and watching him bleed out on the way.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Shurp on January 27, 2020, 02:04:54 AM
How determined are you to save him?  If you send several colonists out with construction supplies, you can build a small hut with a sleeping spot (set to medical), a campfire, and a medicine stockpile.  Then rescue or capture as desired.  That's usually faster than trying to drag him back to base and watching him bleed out on the way.

And if you go this route, by all means leave those little huts out there. Raiders get so confused and the results can be as hiliarious as they are beneficial to your defense.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Canute

Quote from: Shurp on January 27, 2020, 02:04:54 AM
How determined are you to save him? 
There isn't a allways work solution.
If he is just downed without big danger to bleed out, i just haul him with a fast pawn to the hospital.
If he is at danger to bleed out.
A medical sleeping spot or a relocated medical bed get placed next to him and he get treated without medicin.
I don't care he some scars leftofer,
ok an infection could be worse but you can relocate the bed and unconscious pawn back to the hospital once he don't bleed anymore.

Shurp

Yes, whatever infections he gets from treatment without medicine are usually easily resolved once you get medicine in him.  Unless he has bad kidneys.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

asanbr

Quote from: ColtonCub3D on January 22, 2020, 01:30:40 PM
Quotebut, is there a way i can make people hold medicine in their inventory?

There actually is a way to do this in vanilla, cheesy as it may be. You can set a medical spot next to the crash landed survivor as per usual, but then start a caravan with your doctor with only himself and no items and select a random destination on the map. Then, you can select him, right-click some medicine to load into caravan, then draft him over to the survivor and cancel the caravan. He'll rescue him to the medical spot you just placed, and have the medicine right there on him.

Hope this helped!

Thanks, I've wanted to know how to do this (for all kinds of reasons).

Livingston I Presume

Quote from: fatwilf on January 17, 2020, 08:46:34 AM
when someone is going to die in 5 hours and its a 4 hour walk to the victim and back, it is sometimes close!
this also applies to people downed in other areas of the map (i.e. far away from your base)

I too have returned to the game after about a year absent.  And I feel like blood loss is a lot more lethal than it used to be.  Which I have no problem (as fair enough it is blood loss) just be nice to know if I am going mad or if this has been changed, because I too have this problem.