Am I the only one who's dissapointed?

Started by TrashMan, February 26, 2020, 04:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrashMan

I hear a lot of complains. Some with merit, others without.
But it feels like this update and DLC messed so many mods and playtroughs, without actually adding anything of actual worth (the perormance improvements being the only thing of interest).

People complained that the game, despite is age, is never on sale or discount, and that this DLC is overpriced. I feel they are somewhat right.

People complained that the game is unfinished, and frankly..it kinda feels like it. There are so many holes in the game that I cannot imagine ever playing without 100+ mods, simply for all the QoL improvements and adding missing content. What is missing, you may ask?

The tech advancement seems to skip and jump all over the place. The early game lacks content. You go from tribal to industrial. So much more research could be added, more stages and research could be better gated (you much have X number of medieval tech researched before you can unlock industrial) Something like royalty would have been good for medieval content, instead we get psychic space emperors content that feels off.

I would have been 1000 times happier if Ty either copied or simply directly implemented content from some of the best mods.
You jump from pack animal caravans (which you cannot even ride) to starships. Nothing in between. No boats or coastal cities/trade. No trucks (which would be good on roads and flat plains, but terrible/incapable in swams, mountains, etc..), blimps/zeppelins, aircraft of any kind.
Interaction between factions is primitive and beyond bare-bones. Raids magically appear at your doorstep. Etc, etc..
And lets not forget the attrocious mod loading system, where you have to wait for the game to load all of the mods BEFORE you can actually set up mod load order.. instead of having mod selector/load order as the first thing to start

Mods/ideas that should be part of the core game (at least some parts/aspects of them):
Medieval
Giddy up
Boats
SMRT (whatever the mod name with shuttles is)
Any of the surgery improvement mods (default mechanics are trash)
CE (just the ranged combat aiming part)
Death rattle
Autopsy
Prison labor/Simple slavery
More faction interaction
Preemptive strike
Vein Miner (seriously, how is this NOT part of core???)
Duel weield/Simple Sidearms/Run and Gun
Hospitality
Psychology
Mending
Dubs Hygene
etc...

I could put up a long list. And I know people might accuse Ty of "stealing" ideas if he does that. First, ideas cannot be stolen or owned, not something so vauge as "let's add vehicles to the game"
Second, I don't give a crap. I just want a functional game that doesn't feel like half the content is missing.

But suppose you want something new mechanically.
How about gear prerequisites - like for example, a minigun either not being equippable or suffering massive penalties if a pawn doesn't have power armor (apparel with power armor tag, so that modded power armor would work easily).
More damage types? Freeze guns?
Pawn attributes (like a RPG, strength, agility, endurance, toughness, etc..) that interact with skills and are hard to change. You many have great knowledge of mining, but a weak body.

Anyway, long rant, bottom point is... I'm dissapointed that after this long, nothing of real value (to me and many others at least) has been added.

Ser Kitteh

1000+ mods made by 1000+ people should not be the litmus test for whether Ludeon should consider a DLC. That's ridiculous. Ludeon is a small team who worked on Royalty for 16 months.

You might as well asked why Rimworld doesn't have infinite resources and infinite manpower.

Canute

QuoteBut it feels like this update and DLC messed so many mods and playtroughs, without actually adding anything of actual worth (the perormance improvements being the only thing of interest).
This isn't a bad thing at the second view.
Sure it takes time until the modder update the mods.
But this seperate the "good" mods from the "bad" ones.
Many mod's didn't got updated since 1.0 came out and making more trouble then the content is worth it.
And many people just subscribe/activate mod's without looking at the consequence.
So 1.1 mod's got developed at last from an active modder and he mosttime try to eliminate errors/conflicts.

MengDe

"I cannot imagine ever playing without 100+ mods, simply for all the QoL improvements and adding missing content"

A content is not "missing" from the main game just because you got used to playing with mods and can't do without them now.
Missing implies it was there before and then it got removed, which is not the case.

By your logic, the Sims 4 and CK2 are unfinished too because, well, I sure as hell am not playing them without mods either. Every other game does what Rimworld has done, except there the players+modders don't even have the advantage of the dev team giving them a heads up.

Mind you, I don't take issue with your generally thinking the main game + DLC could have more value added to them to justify their price. It's your money and your game experience. Plus you do raise good points about game balance. I'm just a bit tired of hearing complaints about broken saves+mods when those aren't the dev team's problem, really.

DuckBoy

"Am I the only one who's dissapointed?"

Maybe?  I'm not disappointed at all.  DLC was pretty freaking good so far.  Significantly more action on a tribal start.  Constant stream of fresh, overlapping quests, mechanoids raining down from the sky on my dining room table before I even learned to cut rocks.  And it looks like it branches out into Make The Noble Happy (if you pick one as your noble), Psychic Equality (if you spread it out), or Open Rebellion (if you pick up certain quests or attack), so I'm looking forward to quite a bit of replayability from it. 

Serenity

It should certainly have included more content that's suitable for every playstyle. But it appears that with the exception of the mechanoids and stealing tech you have play a royal to get access to the new stuff. That's bad. New quests and such should be there for everyone to enjoy.
I understand why it was implemented that way. Lots of DLCs do that. They implement separate systems because that it makes the game easier to maintain. The developers don't have to support two systems that do the same thing. And while that's not bad for one or even three DLCs, in the long run it makes the game very disjointed because the systems don't interact.

So we get some very specific endgame content, but nothing that enhances the early game or a game where you don't want to play a royal. Medieval factions and tech would have been interesting, but that's actually something that I feel can be left to mods. Better faction interaction, more general quests, more events would have been obvious choices. Include stuff that's not so easy to mod and not as ubiquitous (as opposed to just more items without any special mechanics)

I'd have preferred if Hospitality for example would have been included on a more basic level. Apparently there is a quest where you have to host a noble, but again that's gated behind the royal stuff in general. Here I don't agree with the silly "You shouldn't just rip off mods" crowd. Hospitality is a great example of how vanilla could improve a lot on the mod, as that mod can be quite hacky to do what it does. And guests can cause weird issues because the game wasn't really designed with them in mind.

Please don't misunderstand me here. I do not agree with the general premise here that the DLC is bad because it didn't incorporate a certain mod. But I think there were better choices about what to implement in the base game and how.
And Quality of Life mods do not belong in a DLC anyways

RicRider

How do you go from 'this is my opinion' to 'everyone was asking for this and it should be my way?' Does it make you angry if I tell you that I love everything about this expansion, including the exciting world we are given a glimpse into and the hints of future expansion? Does it make you angry if I tell you that I don't care if your saves and your mods are broken because you should have made local copies of the game? I mean I feel sorry for you because I was there once but I sucked it up and stopped using Steam for games/saves I care about.

If you're angry now because you perceive that I said 'mean words to you' consider that you were the one who implied that all of your wishes and complaints about the game are more important than my satisfaction with the game.

Anyway, I'm also disappointed. I can't find a single game forum anywhere on the Internet where there isn't a train of malcontents complaining about every little thing they don't like, assuming that it was made for them specifically to like in the first place.
##Coding Scrub##

TrashMan

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on February 26, 2020, 05:05:37 AM
1000+ mods made by 1000+ people should not be the litmus test for whether Ludeon should consider a DLC. That's ridiculous. Ludeon is a small team who worked on Royalty for 16 months.

Yet that professional team get blown out of the water by a bunch of autists doing thing in their spare time.
16 months for Royalty? I've seen 1 person put out more impressive mods in a fraction of the time. CAll me mean, but I'm NOT IMPRESSED.

Quote from: MengDe on February 26, 2020, 05:25:06 AM
"I cannot imagine ever playing without 100+ mods, simply for all the QoL improvements and adding missing content"

A content is not "missing" from the main game just because you got used to playing with mods and can't do without them now.
Missing implies it was there before and then it got removed, which is not the case.

I consider it missing it feels like it should be there or was planned but never implemented (as quite a few thing are, going form early notes).

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the game is as moddable as it is, but that doesn't make the game itself good.

Quote from: Serenity on February 26, 2020, 06:50:27 AM
It should certainly have included more content that's suitable for every playstyle. But it appears that with the exception of the mechanoids and stealing tech you have play a royal to get access to the new stuff. That's bad. New quests and such should be there for everyone to enjoy.
I understand why it was implemented that way. Lots of DLCs do that. They implement separate systems because that it makes the game easier to maintain. The developers don't have to support two systems that do the same thing. And while that's not bad for one or even three DLCs, in the long run it makes the game very disjointed because the systems don't interact.

So we get some very specific endgame content, but nothing that enhances the early game or a game where you don't want to play a royal. Medieval factions and tech would have been interesting, but that's actually something that I feel can be left to mods. Better faction interaction, more general quests, more events would have been obvious choices. Include stuff that's not so easy to mod and not as ubiquitous (as opposed to just more items without any special mechanics)

I'd have preferred if Hospitality for example would have been included on a more basic level. Apparently there is a quest where you have to host a noble, but again that's gated behind the royal stuff in general. Here I don't agree with the silly "You shouldn't just rip off mods" crowd. Hospitality is a great example of how vanilla could improve a lot on the mod, as that mod can be quite hacky to do what it does. And guests can cause weird issues because the game wasn't really designed with them in mind.

Please don't misunderstand me here. I do not agree with the general premise here that the DLC is bad because it didn't incorporate a certain mod. But I think there were better choices about what to implement in the base game and how.
And Quality of Life mods do not belong in a DLC anyways

100% agree

Ser Kitteh

So you want free mods, made by modders, then call them autists? Really mature there, bud.

The fact of the matter is you are not entitled to free things. If you don't like it, that's too bad. Maybe you should have waited for reviews or watched a couple of Lets Plays. That is assuming you even bought the DLC.

RicRider

My issue with the complaints that you and generally hype train depressives are making on game forums everywhere is that you're turning what's essentially your preference into a standard that everyone should adhere to. To save myself a lot of trouble and hassle, I generally avoid games that I have a bad feeling about, like the way you feel about RimWorld. Your description of RimWorld matches up with my experience of Starbound, for example. To me this was an unfinished game that was made only bearable and awesome by the Frackin' Universe mod. I'm well aware that there are people out there who believe Starbound was everything for them and I'm happy for them but I avoid vanilla Starbound like the plague. If I felt that way about RimWorld I'd certainly not bother posting on the Ludeon Forums.

Are you trying to change Tynan's mind? Or coerce people to see it your way and make all the changes you are asking? What purpose does this serve other than to entertain you and you alone?
##Coding Scrub##

TrashMan

I'm curious, and I haven't tested it - does steel and plasteel still burn? Or is not even that fixed?

RicRider

You haven't explained why you think steel and plasteel shouldn't burn. You're just assuming they shouldn't burn. Why do you use the word 'fix' when you're talking about a preference?
##Coding Scrub##

TrashMan

Quote from: RicRider on February 26, 2020, 10:34:09 AM
You haven't explained why you think steel and plasteel shouldn't burn. You're just assuming they shouldn't burn. Why do you use the word 'fix' when you're talking about a preference?

Since when does stone and metal burn and catch fire?
Do I have to explain to you why I think dry wood should burn?

Quote from: RicRider on February 26, 2020, 10:21:06 AM
My issue with the complaints that you and generally hype train depressives are making on game forums everywhere is that you're turning what's essentially your preference into a standard that everyone should adhere to. To save myself a lot of trouble and hassle, I generally avoid games that I have a bad feeling about, like the way you feel about RimWorld. Your description of RimWorld matches up with my experience of Starbound, for example. To me this was an unfinished game that was made only bearable and awesome by the Frackin' Universe mod. I'm well aware that there are people out there who believe Starbound was everything for them and I'm happy for them but I avoid vanilla Starbound like the plague. If I felt that way about RimWorld I'd certainly not bother posting on the Ludeon Forums.

Are you trying to change Tynan's mind? Or coerce people to see it your way and make all the changes you are asking? What purpose does this serve other than to entertain you and you alone?

Am I not allowed to voice my opinion, or do you think only people blindly in love with Rimworld should be allowed to post?

And no, I'm talking about a purely common sense perspective - QoL and general mechanical enhacements that impact the game more severely and are harder for modders to do (or require a very hacky implementation) should be what expansions/development should focus on. Modders can add small stuff easily enough.

carbon

Steel and plasteel burn as a matter of game balance. If you really don't like fire, invest the time in for stone / uranium construction. That's always been rather apparent to me at least.

If you don't think they should burn, then there needs to be something else that makes stone / uranium stand out as a useful building material. Turning off burning metal makes several materials obsolete.

RicRider

Quote from: TrashMan link=topic=50475.msg471215#msg471215

Since when does stone and metal burn and catch fire?
Do I have to explain to you why I think dry wood should burn?

Okay, so now we're getting somewhere. I still don't like your passive aggressive attitude, but whatever dude, I guess you're just having a bad day.

So answer me this then, if Gandalf can destroy Balrogs and become reborn as the White Wizard why doesn't he just obliterate Sauron by waving a magic stick? Why does he make Frodo and Sam do all the hard work?

You can argue realism all you like, but in the end the response is always going to be 'use a mod', because your definition of realistic is certainly not the same as everyone else's and even if we can agree on a standard of what's realistic (and I agree with you steel burning isn't realistic duh) that may not be what the purpose is here. The purpose is simple... if you care about things burning you're gonna take the time and build out of stone and be smart with how you use your resources.

Am I not allowed to voice my opinion, or do you think only people blindly in love with Rimworld should be allowed to post?

Nobody's telling you not to post your opinion, mate. I do believe in freedom of speech. What I'm telling you is that the kind of whining you're putting out is really annoying. Am I not allowed to express my frustration at grifters in public? Why are you trying to limit my freedom of speech?

And no, I'm talking about a purely common sense perspective - QoL and general mechanical enhacements that impact the game more severely and are harder for modders to do (or require a very hacky implementation) should be what expansions/development should focus on. Modders can add small stuff easily enough.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here. You're being very general but I can see that you have some very strong ideas about what modders should do and what game developers should do and so in your position I'd work on becoming a modder or a game developer. Who knows? Your ideas could be good and it would be interesting to see how gamers react to them!
##Coding Scrub##