RimWorld's hot keys, quick keys, shortcut keys (Alpha 5)

Started by UrbanBourbon, August 01, 2014, 04:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UrbanBourbon

So we're at alpha 5 already and I've yet to see a list of shortcut keys. Most of the keys can be obviously seen on-screen during gameplay but here are some of the less visible ones. (What is Tynan trying to cover up?)

, and . = Cycle colonists (Gee, would've been nice to know about this 6 months ago.)
F10 = Take screenshot (Used to be F11. Nice try, Tynan. You can't hide this from us.)
F9 = Hide interface. (Interface-Be-Gone. Consult your doctor if you get interface in your eyes.)
Esc = Options menu. Also closes most screens, including character sheet. (Away with ya!)
T / Page Up = Zoom out (Bad Tynan! T is also used for the hunt command which makes me zoom out.)
G / Page Down = Zoom in (Citizen Caligaro! What are you wearing!)
Tab = Opens the menu menu (duh). (Hit your trusty Esc to close it.)
1,2,3,Spacebar = Adjust game speed (Can't stop here. Bat country.)
Alt+F4 = Exits game immediately (No questions asked. You're on your own, partner.)

Did I miss anything? (Am I old yet?)

Rahjital

Haplo

Quote from: Rahjital on August 01, 2014, 05:00:06 AM
Hit 4 for ludicrous speed.

The key 4 is not active in normal mode, as it is originally a test option, so it shouldn't be here.

Samsonzi

Quote from: Haplo on August 01, 2014, 06:19:40 AM
Quote from: Rahjital on August 01, 2014, 05:00:06 AM
Hit 4 for ludicrous speed.

The key 4 is not active in normal mode, as it is originally a test option, so it shouldn't be here.

I think this may have just been a joke reference to the Film "Space Balls".

On the subject of film references, I like the Fear and loathing in Las Vegas one in the original post!!

Bog

Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

HatesYourFace

I knew about F9 but the switching between colonists is a great hotkey, thanks for the tip man!
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 01, 2014, 09:29:49 PM
I knew about F9 but the switching between colonists is a great hotkey, thanks for the tip man!
No problemo. I wouldn't have known about the . and , if I hadn't stumbled upon a random thread where it was mentioned. :)

Coenmcj

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on August 01, 2014, 04:55:34 AM
Did I miss anything? (Am I old yet?)

Thanks for the hotkeys, I must admit I was unaware of a few of them.

Also yes Uncle Bourbon, you are. :P
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Illutian

Is there a way to change the keybinds...

Also, please change the screenshot directory. You shouldn't be using C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Screenshots

milon

There is no way to change the keybinds currently, unless maybe a mod can do that.  And why not use the given screenshot folder?  RW is guaranteed to have write access to it, and you can easily open the folder from in-game.  Heck, you can even add the folder to your Libraries and make it even easier to access.

Shinzy

Quote from: milon on September 04, 2014, 04:23:48 PM
There is no way to change the keybinds currently, unless maybe a mod can do that.  And why not use the given screenshot folder?  RW is guaranteed to have write access to it, and you can easily open the folder from in-game.  Heck, you can even add the folder to your Libraries and make it even easier to access.

I can't speak for July but I would love if the screenies would go to a place I've picked myself rather then stacking up and reserving the extra space from the C:/

especially with my itchy screeny finger =P
It's always a bother to move them manually!

and I'd really like to switch the keybinds too! I'd have whole lot more use for the colonist cycle buttons the current , and . are really far away from both my haands

and yes I'm real lazy and that's not a bad thing!

Illutian

Quote from: milon on September 04, 2014, 04:23:48 PM

Because the game's writing to a SSD....

And the game also has guaranteed access to its own folder, why not use that...like most other games.

Besides, it needs to be changed anyways. Since the game got Greenlit on Steam.

Coenmcj

It's been greenlit for months, I'm pretty sure it was greenlit before I got here, and that's a considerable amount of time. Besides, games having to change for steam is one of my pet peeves, like having the screenshot folder in your appdata is for you. So I'm sure you'll understand when I say that it doesn't necessarily need to be changed.

The reasoning behind the screenshot directory is most likely because each new Rimworld version has a new folder, while the saves, screenshots and whatnot stay central. Allowing for screenshots to always be locatable in the case that you've hidden your rimworld folder (Or your custom directory) somewhere stupid.

RawCode

Rimworld write to user's docs, just like many other applications with full support of multiple user environment.
This allows multiple users to use game at same time without conflicts.
Many do not understand why, but this is how modern applications should work.

If you don't like that rimworld drain your ssd's health (joke, your hardware will outdate two times before ssd die) - relocate user folder to other HDD via your operational system configuration.
Or add hardpoint \ junction and redirect IO calls to other location.

w7 allows to redefine most folders without any issues, can't tell anything about xp or nonwindows platforms due lack of access right now, but most file systems do allow such actions on kernel level.

Coenmcj

Quote from: RawCode on September 04, 2014, 09:59:26 PM
Rimworld write to user's docs, just like many other applications with full support of multiple user environment.
This allows multiple users to use game at same time without conflicts.
Many do not understand why, but this is how modern applications should work.
Well that's a blast from the past, I've entirely forgotten that computers can have multiple users but yeah, there's another reason that it would be in the user's appdata.