Succession Game Thread V1.1 � IN PROGRESS - Chapter 3: Potato Vodka

Started by theapolaustic1, August 01, 2014, 04:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rahjital

Quote from: theapolaustic1 on August 17, 2014, 06:34:05 PM
Swap mechanically, or just swap in terms of fluff?

I'd say avoid swapping mechanically, but if you just clarify in some parenthesis what's going on in terms of the story, I don't think anyone will get too torn up over a mismatch with the screenshots :P

I'm not really sure what you mean here. Swapping the backstories will have no effect on gameplay because pawn skills are set firmly, the only thing that will change is the childhood of the characters... so it's pretty much just fluff?

theapolaustic1

Quote from: Rahjital on August 18, 2014, 02:33:25 AM
Quote from: theapolaustic1 on August 17, 2014, 06:34:05 PM
Swap mechanically, or just swap in terms of fluff?

I'd say avoid swapping mechanically, but if you just clarify in some parenthesis what's going on in terms of the story, I don't think anyone will get too torn up over a mismatch with the screenshots :P

I'm not really sure what you mean here. Swapping the backstories will have no effect on gameplay because pawn skills are set firmly, the only thing that will change is the childhood of the characters... so it's pretty much just fluff?

Oh, really? I completely misinterpretted, then. I was under the impression that changing the backstories automatically changed the skills. If not, by all means go ahead lol.

milon

Rahjital

24th of February: While searching through the possesions of one of the dead raiders, I have found this diary and a set of ornamented pens, antique but unused. It appears The Bears of Death have raided a museum sometime in the past... Who knows if that barbarian could write at all! It would be a great loss if this treasure was not saved from him.

On a second look, there are some blood stains on the paper. I'll ask Boozer on how to get them off, maybe I can bribe him with some of the potato vodka I wanted to use as disinfectant.

29th of February: This is too much. How many times do I have to tell that dumb farm boy that my name is NOT 'Doc'? I am Rahjital de Fusilier, thirdborn of the Duke of Savarrah! I will not stand being called 'Doc' like I was some pitiful servant!

Action needs to be taken. That butcher seems to trust me, so perhaps if I can convince him to hand me his PDA for a while, I could make some changes here and there...

1st of March: It worked, I can't believe it worked! McLovin just handed me his PDA today while mumbling something about hoping I'll make a better mayor. If only I knew it would be so easy as to make the computer warn him of megalomania, I would have done it a long time ago!

Oh, the PDA has an 'Overhead Visualisation' function and can even print images! Let's see how the colony looks from above:

Oh god. This looks so much worse from a birds eye view. It seems McLovin was clever enough build a wall in the south and plan another in the northwest, but left us open in the direction we are the most vulnerable from, east! Well, I cannot blame him. Not everyone has the luck reside in a castle in their childhood, I suppose he is better fit to tending to agricultural products than to devising grand defensive structures.

What I cannot forgive him is how little crops he has sown. A peasant who does not farm? Blasphemous! Now that the colony has a rational and wise ruler, this is going to change.

Wait a minute, what is that over there? Why is there a rifle lying abandoned in a pile of rocks when we all have meager pistols? This is giving me a headache. I need to sleep on it...

Okay, let's look at things with a clear head. Now, let's see what do people do here. Who's the hunter, who's the miner, and who's the farmer here? Wait, what do you mean, "Everyone does everything"? Do you mean nobody knows what their craft is? We can't build a prosperous keep if work isn't divided! Good gracious, my rule there is going to be harder than I thought... Here's your new work schedule, people:

If Boozer is right, we also have literally a ton of metal lying around but barely a sack of potatoes in our stockpile. Time to expand our fields and send the farm boy over there to tend to the crops, as his social status would have it.

2nd of March: Boozer has been crying out for a new kitchen since I became the new ruler. Like a true benevolent king, I went there to take a look and see what the fuss was about:

Oh god, he was right, he was so right. The place is so filthy I was afraid to go there! McLovin and Lawson don't seem to mind, but Boozer puts a generous dose of alcohol in every meal. He says it's "to kill the bacteria" but I am not sure how much can I trust him on that.

I was shocked when I found out nobody here knew how to make stone bricks. That was a great problem, so I sat at the research bench, made myself some tiny bricks and built a model castle out of them. That was fun! But I think I've got it now. I told McLovin to build a stonecutting table, but he said there's not enough wood. I asked "What do you mean, there's plenty of wooden tables, chairs and doors." and he answered that there's no wood left for building.

Sigh, peasants... I told Lawson to chop down some cacti for him, hopefully he'll believe me when I tell him it's lichen-covered oak wood.

5th of March: Ring the bells, it's an ambush! Everyone to arms, the Bears of Death want to avenge their dead comrades! ...wait a moment, what's happening over there, why are there so many explosions and why are they shooting at each other? Is that an iguana?

Well, I suppose when they are occupied with setting the desert on fire, we can still improve our defenses. Get up, McLovin, it's time to finish that wall.

Or perhaps not, they are already here! But that silly farm boy didn't connect one of the turrets! I tell Boozer and Lawson to take positions and myself, like every great and wise leader, take a well protected place that is still on the frontlines. Move it, peasant, the turret is not going to power itself!

McLovin managed to plug in the turret just in time, and the infernal machine began spewing fire, fortunately at the raiders. The Bears were evidently surprised, but one of them tried to flank us. You can't outsmart Rahjital de Fusilier, fools, my ancestor Katen the Sinister won the great Battle of Riverford! I sent Lawson to deal with the threat. McLovin managed to kill one of them, me another and Boozer incapacitated third, leaving three more to deal with. I sent McLovin forward to attack the enemy in melee, which proved to be a brilliant move worthy of my name. When the pirates saw the angry butcher charging at them they lost all their will to fight and decided to run for it. Bad idea - they ran right in front of me and Boozer and we managed to incapacitate one raider each. Unfortunately, the last one ran away, but there must always be somebody to spread the story, I suppose.

A quick check shows that the only serious wound is the farm boy's shot off toe. Nothing important, it's not like he needs toes for growing crops...

6th of March: An ambush! To arms, to arms!

I was just tending to Lawson's wounds when they came, so naturally I dragged her out of the bed and dropped her in the doorway to take potshots at the raiders. I yelled at McLovin to weld some spare metal to the damaged turret and told Boozer to flank them. It worked surpisingly well, two of the three pirates immediately fled in panic and the third I shot in the back when the farm boy grabbed his attention.

This cannot be a coincidence. Two raids, both coming at almost the same time, both aimed at the unfinished part of our defenses! We must have a traitor in our midst. Boozer? He's dependant on the supply of alcohol I make. McLovin? He's a peasant. The raiders are still unconscious... Lawson! It appears that I have underestimated her. Well well, dear Lawson, you might have managed to fool that silly butcher, but you could not escape my attention! I'll keep an eye on you.

9th of March: It seems the second week of this month is much less eventful than the first. Apart from a mad iguana (what is it with the local wildlife throwing itself suicidally at the nearest humans?) there weren't any hostile situations so far and nobody has tried to backstab me yet. I think that's a good sign, people are starting to accept me as their beloved ruler.

Except the captured raiders, not a single of them wants to become my serf. I don't understand that, I am such an exemplary ruler and they still refuse to serve me!

10th of March: Ha, I knew they would understand! Prisoner Lu has decided to live under my rule and I am sure the rest will follow soon.

13th of March: Alice is mine! She didn't want to hear about it at first, but when I told her she can be the head of my personal guard and will be allowed to loot anything she wants, she mellowed out and almost hugged me. I still tremble only thinking about it! I think I'll have her take Lawson's rifle, hopefully that will send the appropriate signal.

1st of April: Damn that Burns! Whenever I try to make him come to our side, he always almost cracks, almost agrees... but then he remembers something and says no. Always, every single time! I suspect it's Lawson's plotting that makes it so. To prevent it, I confined her to the stonecutting workshop and told my guard Alice to keep an eye on her at all times:

In other news, it's been suspiciously quiet. I believe that is because of Lawson's plans as well, by now she must realise I suspect her, so she wants to let my guard down. What she doesn't realize is that every day, we get closer and closer to finishing the defensive wall in the east. Just a few more days and all her plans will be in vain!

3rd of April: This must be a gesture of goodwill from the heavens themselves! A military trader has come to our colony:

We exchanged half a dozen pistols and a belt of EMP grenades for the sniper rifles. Naturally I gave one of the rifles to Alice, but everyone said Lawson should get the second. Awful choice, but if I want to appear as a good and benevolent leader, what else can I do? They could accuse me of not wanting the best for the keep and start a revolution! I suppose I will have to be extra careful about that pirate spy from now on.

5th of April: The defensive wall is finished! Too late, Lawson! Your evil machinations were too slow, we are impervious to any of your attacks! And we don't even need any of that silly butcher's infernal fire-spitting machines! Speaking of him, it seems he's more of a builder than a farmer, actually. Not that it's a bad thing, skilled architects are always in need when building a kindgom.

8th of April: Burns the prisoner finally broke. He denied Lawson was helping him almost to the end, but when I put the muzzle of my rifle to his forehead and began yelling and acting crazy, he almost began crying and told me everything - how Lawson gave him secret Morse code messages by the rhythm of her stone-cutting chisel and her mining pick, how she told him to murder me with his restraint chains to get rid of the great leader and make the colony plunge into chaos... everything I thought she did, Burns confirmed. Unfortunately, I still need more evidence to arrest her!

At least the granary is done now and the mess hall will follow soon:

9th of April: Boozer found out a way to make alcohol on his own! I bet Lawson did that to rid me of my most stalwart ally. Alice is growing impatient and disloyal since there have been no raids to loot ever since she joined us... Is there really nobody who I can trust? McLovin maybe... but he is still a peasant at heart. No, I am all alone in this.

Nothing is happening otherwise, apart from plenty of strangers visiting the colony. I wonder if that is her doing too?

13th of April: I can see her following me. Even though I told her to go mine for metal far away from the colony, she always finds an excuse to go and be near me, like 'I am hungry' or 'I need to haul the metal I mined to the stockpile'. Absolute nonsense that is, of course, but I cannot prove it! I started going away from the colony and hunt. "Hunting is a highborn's way of easing the soul," papa always said, but I don't think it's working here. Hunting megascarabs just isn't the same, and the iguanas have such beautiful eyes... And I can't run from Lawson like this anyway. No! I can't let her take the keep from me like this! That's why is she doing this all, to strip me of my rule! Just wait, Lawson. I won't make it so easy for you!

14th of April: A slave trader is passing by, but we have no way to pay them - unless we give them Lawson! Unfortunately, I don't see a way to do that without others noticing...

Nothing else is happening. Why are there no more raids? Why is nothing happening? The suspense is slowly destroying me...

15th of April: Maybe I was too quick in my judgement. I saw a group of tribesmen nearby on one of my hunts, and it looks like they want to assault the keep! That must be Lawson finally acting, sensing how much influence she has over me. Nevertheless, I have got my own brilliant plan! There is a group of visitors inside the keep. If we erect wooden barricades at the entrances and say it's a defensive measure against the tribals, they won't be able to leave until we unblock the gates, at which point they will run straight into the tribals!

McLovins quickly built the walls as per my order and just in time, too! The enemies began running at us mere seconds after he put up the last barricade, and the visitors decided to leave at roughly the same time. Once the barbarians were sufficiently close, I told the butcher to remove the barricade and he did so. The visitors quickly poured into the way of the raiders and... nothing happened?

There was a minor detail that eluded me, which is that the Struggle's Ridge town is not hostile to the Black Yak Barra tribe. The two merely slipped by each other... Unfortunately, I was so confident the plan would work I did not order people to arms. Fortunately, Boozer and Alice were close and responded immediately when I called. Unfortunately, Lawson heard the call too. The hellish machines McLovin constructed drawn the tribals' attention well, though they didn't last long and then the fight turned into a stalemate.

Until Andy came, that is. A group of visitors from Burg-at-the-Forest loitered outside the keep, keeping themseles busy until the fighting ended, but Andy was not one to wait.

He dodged Combarro's arrow and ran at him to deliver a punt that pushed the tribesman straight into the way of Lawson's sniper rifle (I can only imagine her furious face when that happened!) He peeked in and got punched by Crica. He retreated at a rather relaxed pace, for which he was rewarded by an arrow cut from Crica's bow, but that did not prompt him to go faster at all.

The distraction was a great opportunity for us, though, and I made sure to use it. Thanks to my superior tactical skill (characteristic of every highborn) the enemies began panicking and fled... straight into the warm embrace of Burg-at-the-Forest's guns:

Unfortunately, the outlanders are not quite outlandish at marksmanship and only one of the running tribals was killed and another wounded, but if it weren't for Andy, who knows who of us could have been wounded or even killed by the tribal savages. Andy is a hero; if he stays a few days, I will promote him to knighthood.

1st of May: This is it. She won. I have been thinking about it the entire day, but only now it began making sense to me. The visitors from Struggle's Ridge, me walling them in and releasing them at the raiders... she planned it all, she had predicted every single step I have taken! I fought valiantly, but she won a long time ago. I was fighting a lost battle. For now, Andy and his Burg-at-the-Forest gang have saved us from a nasty lesson, but if I remain in charge, much worse incidents are bound to happen. Tommorow, I will find somebody... no, tommorow might already be too late, it might be midnight but I know Lawson is still plotting! I need to find somebody, anybody, right now. Somebody to lead the colony instead of me. Losing such a great and wise leader is a small thing in comparsion to what Lawson could do to us... I need to hand them this diary, so that they know what happened and why. But to whom? Who of this ragtag party of serfs is trustworthy enough?

Notes to the next ruler: Due to my great and selfless effort, we now have a full-fledged stone wall protecting us from the north-east, complete with a gate. Please, do not blame me for the terrible conditions of our living quarters - the construction of the wall took a large amount of both time and resources, and after that, our food production had to be sanitized to protect us from possible disease epidemics. There should be enough of all kind of materials and enough space in the walled area to begin any project you wish; and although there's barely a sack of potatoes left for eating, an entire field of potatoes ready for harvest is at your disposal. I would be greatly indebted to you if you could entrust me with royal quarters worthy of my contributions to the keep.

The password to the command PDA is as follows: https://db.tt/JKZ8W5ws

Until you familiarize yourself with the ovearhead view function of the computer, you might want to use this map of the keep:

But whatever you do, beware of Lawson. Don't let her read your mind like she did to me, else we are all lost...

milon

Wow, it's my turn already!  I only read the Notes to the Next Ruler bit.  I most likely won't have time until late this week.  My turn should be done and posted by Saturday.  :D

Rahjital

No need to rush. According to the schedule, you have time until the 5th of September! :P

I decided to read TheApolaustic1's story before my turn and I have to say it helped a lot. I also wrote while still playing, usually letting two or three days pass before writing a block of text, sometimes less when a raid came. It definitely made it easier, though, sometimes there is so much happening it's easy to forget when it's not written down all at once.

Also, don't be afraid of making it too long. I decided to leave away some of the less interesting parts in order to make it shorter, and only after I posted it I found out I only had it half as long as TheApolaustic... ::)

theapolaustic1

Quote from: Rahjital on August 18, 2014, 06:16:26 PM
No need to rush. According to the schedule, you have time until the 5th of September! :P

I decided to read TheApolaustic1's story before my turn and I have to say it helped a lot. I also wrote while still playing, usually letting two or three days pass before writing a block of text, sometimes less when a raid came. It definitely made it easier, though, sometimes there is so much happening it's easy to forget when it's not written down all at once.

Also, don't be afraid of making it too long. I decided to leave away some of the less interesting parts in order to make it shorter, and only after I posted it I found out I only had it half as long as TheApolaustic... ::)

I wouldn't compare your writing to mine, lol. Writing's kinda literally what I do, both by trade and hobby. I have a tendency to drone on :P

I have to say, your story's style has firmly cemented Rahj/Doc in my head as being Jonah Hill. Which I guess makes Lawson Michael Cera?

Loved reading the whole thing, btw, laughed quite a few times. My favorite line, though, was definitely
Quote from: Rahjital on August 18, 2014, 08:08:42 AMThere was a minor detail that eluded me, which is that the Struggle's Ridge town is not hostile to the Black Yak Barra tribe. The two merely slipped by each other... Unfortunately, I was so confident the plan would work I did not order people to arms.

I can only imagine your expression as you were doing this while playing, and every time I imagine it, I crack up laughing. That stuff definitely belongs in the "funniest things while playing" thread :P

Quote from: milon on August 18, 2014, 09:44:25 AM
Wow, it's my turn already!  I only read the Notes to the Next Ruler bit.  I most likely won't have time until late this week.  My turn should be done and posted by Saturday.  :D

Yeah, it's definitely looking like as long as we've got an order in place that we can move along pretty quick. If you're confident you can be done this weekend, would you be opposed to me adjusting the schedule so that your turn ends on the 24th, and then I can begin filling out the rest of the schedule from then on?

EDIT: Just reread your post. If you're busy, would you be opposed to me sliding someone else in between now and the weekend, assuming anyone whose turn is remaining is able to get it done quickly? If you want to pick up from where Rahj left off, by all means veto that possibility, of course. Five days isn't very long to wait, but it's also potentially long enough for a turn, so I figured I'd interject with the chance.

Also, don't worry about reading the rest of it. Rahj didn't die, actually, the last entry said specifically that he was giving the "diary" (story) to the next person, so you've got exactly that post in your possession when your turn starts.

On the note of the schedule (because I'll be putting more names on it soon either way): Ender, are you still monitoring this thread? You're currently slotted in after milon. The order of names in the OP post is my intended order, so after telkin/tom (and assuming phazen doesn't post in the thread at some point), we'll be repeating. At this rate, we might have a complete circle before the end of the month (or at least very soon into the beginning of the next one)!

Going to go edit the OP post now to link to Rahj's post, I edited the schedule to indicate Rahj finished today. Also going to change the thread topic to something that says we're currently going, maybe get a few people in to read along if they're interested (or join up if they want).

BTW, as an aside: Rahj, when you posted that pic of the priorities in your story, you mentioned below it something about "everyone does everything", the way it was phrased worried me for a second. Did it not preserve the priority list I'd had, and defaulted to the normal checklist one, or was it more of an in-character jab at how most people were sharing tasks? If the savefile doesn't preserve priorities, might be a bit annoying for new leaders to keep having to adjust things to find homeostasis.

I assumed it was the jab one, but figured I should ask just in case, so that we could come up with a solution if not.

Also, absoLUTEly off-topic, but do any of the people in this collective use skype? Y'all seem like cool cats, and I'm on it a lot of the time. Even outside of this thread, kinda would be interested in getting a chat group or something set up just to shoot the shit or whatever.

theapolaustic1

While working on editing the OP, I noticed a couple of posts that my spurt of inactivity earlier led to me neglecting. Namely:

Quote from: Rahjital on August 13, 2014, 01:59:14 PM
Alpha 6 is a wonderful update for succession games. Colonists can be given nicknames directly in the game, the new health system gives a lot of depth to the storytelling possible, changing storytellers ingame is possible so that players of various skill levels can play, different biomes and so on.

There wasn't much talking about the various mechanics and not many people seem to have signed up for the game. Maybe we'll have to get it rolling first before people start wanting to participate...

To be fair to the lack of discussion about the mechanics, I outlined things in the original unedited OP so that most things were pretty set in stone, it was just some stuff that could be finagled over. The storyteller comment is worth highlighting now that the game is starting to get traction, though: Is anyone dead set on Randy-100%-challenge-no-alterations, or would changing it be acceptable? If so, what guidelines should be in place (after all, reducing challenge below a certain point will probably make for a boring 30 days, both to read and to write; similarly, I don't think any of us like the idea of someone ramping things up too much and deathspiraling the colony frivolously)?

Quote from: Rahjital on August 13, 2014, 01:59:14 PM
Quote from: milon on August 10, 2014, 09:02:41 PM
I just had an interesting idea. In the event the colony is destroyed and there are still turns left to be taken, I suggest that we resume with the new colony in the ruins of the old one.

Here's how: the player whose turn it was continue to run the game, and even spawn a half dozen or so disasters. Let the game run for a bit, then upload that save for the next player. That player can then spawn 3 random colonists. Even if they're crappy pawns, you've still got the ruins of the last player, so that seems like a good trade off.

What are everyone's thoughts?

I think this might not be bad. Maybe that instead of 3 colonists being spawned, only one would be? (the current player whose turn it is, of course) We could let the storyteller spawn more.
Quote from: Telkir on August 13, 2014, 04:22:47 PMAt the risk of sounding like a broken record, what do folks think of the idea I mentioned in my earlier post?

Quote from: Telkir on August 02, 2014, 03:33:35 PMI propose that each player should be allowed and indeed required to spawn one new colonist at the beginning of their turn using developer mode. If it is the player's first turn then this colonist can be their roleplay character if they so wish. Perhaps this artifical "migrant wave" could scale up as the game progresses - i.e. 2 colonists per turn after six months, 3 colonists after a year, and so on.

My weighing in on this: I think that spawning a colonist in each turn would be a bit much, the game tends to do a good job of replacing your population over time, and I think there's as much potential for fun in repeated attempts at succession games as there is in attempting to make a single colony last long.

The "make a colony in the ruins of the old one" idea, I feel, depends on what works well for a story. In most cases, I think a colony dying is a good note to end on, overriding that ending would probably cheapen the eventual ending, be it a victory or a second/third/etc colony death (we could allow for the potential next-leader to make the judgement, though; it is also worth noting that because we're using the 'if your leader dies, your turn ends' rule, it's relatively likely that the population will not all be wiped out at the same time).

The concept did give me an idea for a possibility for another style of succession game, which may be better run in parallel rather than after this one. In essence, the idea would be: One person starts a colony. Plays that colony and tells its story from Day 1 until the day everyone in it dies. They then pass the save on to the next person, that person spawns 3-5 colonists in dev mode, then begins telling the story of this group taking over the ruins. In this sense, it would be less of a "succession" game and more of a "dynasty" setup. I'm not planning on trying to run two threads like this at a time right now, but would anyone be interested in something akin to that in the future?

milon

@theapolaustic1, my projection of this finishing by this weekend was a conservative one.  I actually think that I can finish by Thursday.  Either way, I'm starting today.  No need to try squeeze one in, but definitely update the schedule and get more players in the rotation!

Lazarus

This sounds like a good deal of fun, I would be happy to jump in on this if possible I think I played about a years worth (in game) on vanilla with Alpha6 and would think I have a good grasp on the ins and outs now.

If you guys need another to join let me know! Just please bear in mind though I'll be away from most things electronic from the 6th September till the 20th
Poke poke, stab stab.

milon

So, I just realized that my game calendar says May. Raj, is that right?  I've been watching the clock and I don't think I've overshot.  (Sorry, no spoilers!)

theapolaustic1

Quote from: milon on August 19, 2014, 06:12:25 AM
@theapolaustic1, my projection of this finishing by this weekend was a conservative one.  I actually think that I can finish by Thursday.  Either way, I'm starting today.  No need to try squeeze one in, but definitely update the schedule and get more players in the rotation!
Alright, awesome! Figured I'd check just in case c:
Also thank you for using the 1 in my username. I don't know why but on the ludeon forums and no other ones, people drop it all the time.
It's probably silly to get worked up over it, but damn it, it's a third person singular pronoun, not a number. I just didn't have the room for the full thing the first time I used it somewhere, I swear!

Quote from: milon on August 19, 2014, 07:44:50 PM
So, I just realized that my game calendar says May. Raj, is that right?  I've been watching the clock and I don't think I've overshot.  (Sorry, no spoilers!)
Remember that an in game month is 15 days, not 30. Two months each.

So Jan/Feb were me, March/April was Rahj, May 1st should be the beginning of your turn. July 1st should be when you pass the save along, assuming your pawn doesn't die, naturally.

I'll update schedule and stuff for tomorrow, right now I am frankly too tired to be fucked for it.

Quote from: Lazarus on August 19, 2014, 07:39:59 AM
This sounds like a good deal of fun, I would be happy to jump in on this if possible I think I played about a years worth (in game) on vanilla with Alpha6 and would think I have a good grasp on the ins and outs now.

If you guys need another to join let me know! Just please bear in mind though I'll be away from most things electronic from the 6th September till the 20th
Shouldn't be an issue to add you. To be clear with your experience: Have you played on Randy before, or just Cassie? There is a fair bit of difference between the two, though admittedly not too much.

Depending on how the schedule's looking after I've finally got it in front of me, I'll try to get you either in before the 6th, or else you'll have to wait until after the 20th. I think either way should work nicely, depends a twinge on how active everyone else is (if ender doesn't check in, might swap you in for him instead so that you can go before you're away from electronics, for example). Continuing the baseball analogy I've been using in the OP for turn order for some reason (I don't even like baseball), you'll be the pinch hitter, lol.

This is completely unrelated to this post, but I like including music in each OP edit for shits and giggles, but this didn't make the cut because it is about twenty times too offensive for me to feel comfortable just sticking it there. So if you have spotify and a very thick skin, click this. Horrorcore isn't dead.

Lazarus

I'm from the UK so the idea of baseball is a mystery to me anyway!

I have played with Randy yet but I'll get some practise in before hand so I know what's coming at me, though I sorta get what he's about. Never know I might have a easy time or I may know what its like to be bent over....

I'll check the forums each day anyway and if you want me to take a spot just send me a PM or leave a message on here and I'll snag the save file from who ever is before me :)
Poke poke, stab stab.

milon

Thanks, theapolaustic1.  I misread things earlier. It's definitely going to take me longer than this weekend to complete my turn (lots of IRL stuff going on). I'm about halfway through May now. I should finish sometime next week. Is that okay with everyone?  I have lots of IRL responsibilities.

Also, I read your intro post and remember you asking people to keep the 1. ;)

Rahjital

Quote from: theapolaustic1 on August 18, 2014, 08:58:12 PM
I have to say, your story's style has firmly cemented Rahj/Doc in my head as being Jonah Hill. Which I guess makes Lawson Michael Cera?

Whoa, now that's a connection I didn't make! I suppose it's a good thing, even if it isn't precisely the thing I was aiming for :D

Quote from: theapolaustic1 on August 18, 2014, 08:58:12 PMLoved reading the whole thing, btw, laughed quite a few times. My favorite line, though, was definitely
Quote from: Rahjital on August 18, 2014, 08:08:42 AMThere was a minor detail that eluded me, which is that the Struggle's Ridge town is not hostile to the Black Yak Barra tribe. The two merely slipped by each other... Unfortunately, I was so confident the plan would work I did not order people to arms.

I can only imagine your expression as you were doing this while playing, and every time I imagine it, I crack up laughing. That stuff definitely belongs in the "funniest things while playing" thread :P

I thought I was so clever to think of that, and the "Oh CRAP!" moment came ;D I honestly thought I was screwed for a moment, but fortunately the turrets there held long enough to bring the snipers there. It wouldn't be the same if it weren't for Andy's group, though. I didn't even know they were there until I saw him punch Combarro and (possibly) save the colony, and his mates just stood outside waiting for the fleeing tribesmen to run by. I really hope Milon will treat him like a proper hero.

Quote from: theapolaustic1 on August 18, 2014, 08:58:12 PMAlso, don't worry about reading the rest of it. Rahj didn't die, actually, the last entry said specifically that he was giving the "diary" (story) to the next person, so you've got exactly that post in your possession when your turn starts.

Yeah, that's precisely why I did that. I found my roleplaying would be quite a bit more shallow if I didn't read Apo's (may I call you that?) notes first... and unlike in DF, there's not that much to reveal anyway.

Quote from: theapolaustic1 on August 18, 2014, 08:58:12 PMBTW, as an aside: Rahj, when you posted that pic of the priorities in your story, you mentioned below it something about "everyone does everything", the way it was phrased worried me for a second. Did it not preserve the priority list I'd had, and defaulted to the normal checklist one, or was it more of an in-character jab at how most people were sharing tasks? If the savefile doesn't preserve priorities, might be a bit annoying for new leaders to keep having to adjust things to find homeostasis.

I assumed it was the jab one, but figured I should ask just in case, so that we could come up with a solution if not.

Don't worry, it all works fine. It was the in-character jab combined with a silly remark about different playstyles, since I tend to make people specialised in their trade to train their skills instead of making them share work.

Quote from: theapolaustic1 on August 18, 2014, 08:58:12 PMAlso, absoLUTEly off-topic, but do any of the people in this collective use skype? Y'all seem like cool cats, and I'm on it a lot of the time. Even outside of this thread, kinda would be interested in getting a chat group or something set up just to shoot the shit or whatever.

I'm not online nearly enough for Skype, sorry. You can always shoot me a PM should you want.

Quote from: Lazarus on August 19, 2014, 07:39:59 AM

Welcome aboard, Lazarus! Glad to see you are interested in playing. A year with Cassandra should definitely be enough experience, if Cassie did't kill you, Randy will have a hard time doing it as well.