[1.1.2598] Three easily accessible doors, colonist chose one blocked by an enemy

Started by erdrik, April 19, 2020, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdrik

No mods installed.
I have a mountain base colony. The colony was fighting off a raid of 3. The colony's front entrance has 3 doors, one in the center and two on the left and right of that door. All of the colonists are outside the left and right doors shooting at raiders as they come down the center.

One of the raiders made it to the central door and is shooting at my colonists from there. The colonists down the other two raiders before they reach the doors, and the game tells me the raid is retreating. The remaining raider stops firing and starts trying to beat down the central door. Why? I have no clue, as the door leads into the mountain base and has no path off the map whatsoever.

I decide to have Becky capture one of the downed raiders, while the rest of the colonists shoot down the raider trying to bust down the central door. I line up the gun squad and watch as Becky picks up a down raider and proceeds to try and go through the central door?!?! Except she can't, because a raider busting down that door is in the way.

There are two clear and unobstructed doors to the left and right of the central door. The doors are both only 10 tiles away from each other. If this isn't a bug, then adding a "avoid doors I can't go through due to enemy presence" function to the pathing would probably be a good idea. Also making raiders not bother trying to bust down a door that won't lead to escape during retreat is probably worthwhile too.

Canute

Quoteproceeds to try and go through the central door?!?! Except she can't, because a raider busting down that door is in the way.
What raider attack a door is no reason for a pawn not to pass through that door.
Don't await from any pawn (colonist or raider) to be clever.

erdrik

Quote from: Canute on April 19, 2020, 01:54:51 PM
What raider attack a door is no reason for a pawn not to pass through that door.
I think you meant: "A raider attacking a door does not prevent another pawn from trying to pass through that door." ?
If so, I think that needs to be changed. Colonists should not passively wait in line behind a raider busting down a door.
Quote from: Canute on April 19, 2020, 01:54:51 PM
...Don't await from any pawn (colonist or raider) to be clever.
I had little other choice. AFAIK, There is no means of manually controlling a colonist that is carrying a downed pawn. Drafting them will force them to drop the carried pawn. Which means I would have to wait until the raider is killed first. Which can be done in some cases, but not if the downed pawn is severely injured and needs to get to a medi-bed swiftly.

Canute

Yes that is what i meant, finger and mind not allways syncron.

You can command a drafted pawn to rescue or capture a pawn, and you can even queue him to reposition at the area.
That you can't do with with a non-drafted.
Ok, but the pawn prolly would move again throw the middle door to get carry the rescued pawn since it is the fastest way.
So the best solution would be to forbid that door. Forbid won't interrupt the repair process if you someone to repair the door.

erdrik

Hmm.. Forbidding the door would have worked, now that I think about it.
Still. I think the pathing should account for this.

LWM

Quote from: erdrik on April 19, 2020, 04:46:52 PM
Hmm.. Forbidding the door would have worked, no that I think about it.
Still. I think the pathing should account for this.

How much of a performance hit are you willing to take?  In real life, everyone walking around has a lot of processing power in their brain....but that's limited in the game, where long look-aheads are expensive, and global danger-logic is tricky...  That's kind of where we're at in this game.

Draft and shift-click locations is how I handle situations like that.

erdrik

Quote from: LWM on April 26, 2020, 02:25:30 PM
How much of a performance hit are you willing to take?  In real life, everyone walking around has a lot of processing power in their brain....but that's limited in the game, where long look-aheads are expensive, and global danger-logic is tricky...  That's kind of where we're at in this game.

Thinking about it, I dunno if it would even require that much of a pathing change. An off the top of my head solution would be to have an on-hit effect for when raiders attack doors, where that on-hit effect silently forbids the door they are attacking for 1 to 3 seconds.
Normal pathing already avoids forbidden doors, so the colonist would avoid it; raiders already ignore forbid settings, so the raider would keep attacking it; and the forbid effect would be maintained so long as the raider attacks it, but time out a few seconds after the raider stops or is killed.

Canute

So instead to patch the pathfinding, you need a mod that auto-forbid doors that are under attack.
But the drawback are, pawn's wouldn't repair them either. You need to micro that, pawn keep repair the door after you forbid it, they just don't start a repair on a forbid door.

erdrik

Quote from: Canute on April 27, 2020, 03:58:28 AM
...But the drawback are, pawn's wouldn't repair them either. You need to micro that, pawn keep repair the door after you forbid it, they just don't start a repair on a forbid door.

Im fine with that. It never made sense to me that a pawn could camp one side of a door and somehow repair it while it was being damaged on the other side.
You should have to wait until the enemy stops damaging it before repairing it.

Jibbles

Just stick to forbid. Shouldn't auto path around a door just cause it's being attacked.  What if a player wanted several pawns to go through the door? It adds more steps. IMO they should be able to repair while it's attacked. This goes beyond doors and raids.  Such changes would just make things less intuitive and inconvenient.

LWM

It's probably an easy mod to make (in the grand scheme of things) - doors have to know when they take damage, right?  If the damage-doer is a pawn, forbid.