Is it possible to add some new enemy types?

Started by qilinreal, May 03, 2020, 08:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qilinreal

The enemies in the game just walk into positions and wait for the player to slaughter them, posing little threat to the player and causing the game to lack challenge. So, I was wondering if it was possible to add a new kind of enemy. Such enemies will only pick the nearest route to reach the center of the player's town and break through the wall if there is a wall on the way, not caring how much threat there is on the way. This can increase the uncertainty of the game to a certain extent, thus making it more fun.

Canute

That is mosttimes the tactic of the sapper troups.
Basicly sappers are more dangerous for player which prefer killboxes, since sapper mosttimes ignore them.
But if you don't use killboxes, sapper's are less dangerous, since they act more stupid. Unless every 2-3 sapper carry a doomsday launcher.

Currently i don't know a mod that made raiders more clever, and Rimworld only throw in more and more to made them difficulter.
But you can use mod's to add other treats like Zombie, Tiberium (search the workshop for these words).
Or add Combat extended, which change the combat system and basicly made it deadlier.

And if you like the ultimate challenge try out the unique modpack Hardcore-SK
https://github.com/skyarkhangel/Hardcore-SK

qilinreal

Quote from: Canute on May 03, 2020, 09:07:10 AM
Basicly sappers are more dangerous for player which prefer killboxes, since sapper mosttimes ignore them.
But if you don't use killboxes, sapper's are less dangerous, since they act more stupid. Unless every 2-3 sapper carry a doomsday launcher.

Currently i don't know a mod that made raiders more clever, and Rimworld only throw in more and more to made them difficulter.
But you can use mod's to add other treats like Zombie, Tiberium (search the workshop for these words).
Or add Combat extended, which change the combat system and basicly made it deadlier.

The sappers are useless. Look at this.
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Et411k7Tw

zgrssd

Quote from: qilinreal on May 03, 2020, 09:28:01 AM

As I can not red chinese, I see no indiciation those are sappers to begin with.

qilinreal

Quote from: zgrssd on May 03, 2020, 09:39:15 PM

1:30~3:30

zgrssd

Quote from: qilinreal on May 04, 2020, 02:03:54 AM
Quote from: zgrssd on May 03, 2020, 09:39:15 PM

1:30~3:30
Grenades do not make a sapper. Just a dangerously armed Raider.

So again: Where does it say those are Sappers, rather then "Raiders of the Explosives stash"?

LWM

Either way, they're acting in a useless manner?

zgrssd

Quote from: LWM on May 04, 2020, 01:22:52 PM
Either way, they're acting in a useless manner?
I am trying to get it into your skull, but I seem to be failing.

Let me try again:
Grenade != Sapper
Sapper != Grenade

Thus your whole claim:

Is actually useless.

LWM

There's nothing stopping an enterprising modder from making new logic for enemy pawns to follow.  In fact, several people have done this!  (Sun Tzu's Raider Tactics?  Or whatever it was called, and I think another)  The problem is (and has always been) that intelligent opponents are hard to make...

Canute

Could you imagine the calculation lag, if someone real made some clever raider tactic.
And could you imagine the surviving chance of your colony if they realy would be clever like you would act ? 100 clever raides vs. 10 pawns under your control ? Killbox are useless since they allways would take the backdoor.
You would need a new raid calculation too.
Not to speak about many player arn't all good with tactic and even got problems with stupid raids.

WhiteDevil

the raid mechanic could be altered slightly,
atm, seems it just reacts to some kinda point system?

factions [or any enemy group] could periodically send out scouts to assess base layout for weak points, high-priority structure targets, hi-priority raid items, etc

a scout could even pose as a visitor?

scouts could probably determine what kind of incursion will be incoming next-
they could scope your base out & depending on their assessment, return back to their base with a report like "they've got resources comin' out the wazoo!" (the faction will then organise a raid with intent to steal your items)
*this scout is looking for storage zones that aren't in turret vicinity, things like that..
*this type of raid obviously calls for fast units to get in & actually have a chance of stealing stuff, with possibly a few heavy units to open up a gap or distract, etc

these things start to open up entire new possibilities..
-enemies trying to steal your animals (cattle rustling, etc)
-enemies that will try to capture & enslave your pawns (slavers, etc)
-saboteur raids by night, etc

there ought to be more going on than just "idiots turn up with intent to destroy base & end up getting cut down in my killbox"

..heck, scouts should be looking for & planning against killbox areas or heavily defended areas
spluh  ::)

all sorts of things could be done to improve the existing situation..
scouts & other light/recon units should be able to climb trees that are next to walls & stuff like that..

the game already seems to cater to some of this, enemy raiders will form into groups, wait for members to arrive & then all move at the slowest speed, ensuring they arrive to their destination as an effective group (etc)
maybe develop a single 'squad leader' type unit to handle any tactics changes etc during group battle [instead of developing new combat AI for all units, just have an on-site leader dishing out orders to the group members?]

anyway, i hope some kinda changes are made at some point.. i'm enjoying the game so far but it's kinda lame how the existing setup works..

zgrssd

Quote from: Canute on May 04, 2020, 05:03:21 PM
Could you imagine the calculation lag, if someone real made some clever raider tactic.
And could you imagine the surviving chance of your colony if they realy would be clever like you would act ? 100 clever raides vs. 10 pawns under your control ? Killbox are useless since they allways would take the backdoor.
You would need a new raid calculation too.
Not to speak about many player arn't all good with tactic and even got problems with stupid raids.
To a degree, those would offset each other:
If the raiders were smater, you would need less of them for a challenge. Wich could actually make it easier.

kclace

My idea: Mechanoid Infiltrator (Would be a great MOD).

Any pawn that you rescue or joins as a wanderer is potentially a mechanoid infiltrator. They can turn into a scyther at any time. The only counter are dogs. Yes, dogs can sniff the infiltrators out quickly.

Gosh this would add a whole new level of paranoia to the game!

LWM

Quote from: kclace on May 06, 2020, 07:35:09 PM
My idea: Mechanoid Infiltrator (Would be a great MOD).

Any pawn that you rescue or joins as a wanderer is potentially a mechanoid infiltrator. They can turn into a scyther at any time. The only counter are dogs. Yes, dogs can sniff the infiltrators out quickly.

Gosh this would add a whole new level of paranoia to the game!

I'd play with them.

Canute

Didn't played Hardcore-SK lately, but at the past they got a similar events.
Terminator which arrive as human at first and then turn into a killing mashine.
Or pod crash human which turn into a mutant abnormation.