The Big Patch Notes Topic

Started by Semmy, November 04, 2013, 03:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insulus

QuoteCan someone actually name a game with daily or weekly updates? I find that if someone can manage to do a 2-week update is pretty good, or even a 1-month update.

Project Zomboid

Galileus

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Insulus on January 07, 2014, 09:01:01 PM
QuoteCan someone actually name a game with daily or weekly updates? I find that if someone can manage to do a 2-week update is pretty good, or even a 1-month update.

Project Zomboid

space-base df9 was doing that pretty well for awhile.
They seem to have slowed down as-well though.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Merry76

Quote from: palandus on January 07, 2014, 01:20:24 AM
Can someone actually name a game with daily or weekly updates? I find that if someone can manage to do a 2-week update is pretty good, or even a 1-month update.

Gnomoria. Used to have a every week cycle until it became impossible to do. It currently has a 2 week cycle, broken up by holidays. Sure it missed an update here and there. Its almost impossible to get stuff implemented and stable at that rate, so some missed update times are expected.

Would love a Rimworld update sometime in January though. I dont enjoy it as much as I once did.

Galileus

Quote from: Merry76 on January 08, 2014, 04:21:20 AMGnomoria. Used to have a every week cycle until it became impossible to do. It currently has a 2 week cycle, broken up by holidays. Sure it missed an update here and there. Its almost impossible to get stuff implemented and stable at that rate, so some missed update times are expected.

Gnomoria's patchlog is quite a bit of fun to read :D Today's update: a new hotkey. Definitely worth that two more bug-squishing sessions and hotfix the very next day, breaking up developement of bigger features to get that. New hotkey! Would download, 10/10 XD

Basically a hotfix to a hotfix, that then had to be hotfixed. Darn, didn't though anyone but HiRez can pull that off :D Now, someone tell me daily updates are a good idea, when things like that happen to weekly ones :D

Insulus

my bad,

I thought he was referring to community updates not software updates, that would just be insane.

besides I remember when some of the mmo's were doing weekly software updates. that can be very annoying, particularly to people who only play twice a week.

Semmy

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Ender

Quote from: Semmy on January 08, 2014, 02:07:03 PM
Be patient all.
soon â,,¢

to semi quote Ned Stark "An update is coming"

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Semmy

The timeline for the update is for it to be released within a month.
Unless some weird stuff pops up offcourse.
Edmund Burke

spacemarine658

Quote from: Semmy on January 10, 2014, 12:14:45 AM
The timeline for the update is for it to be released within a month.
Unless some weird stuff pops up offcourse.

He has posted new fixes and stuff would you update this page? thanks

Semmy

I haven't updated on purpose as there is no public release atm.

But I will do it now.
Edmund Burke

AcDie

Merry76

Quote from: Galileus on January 08, 2014, 04:39:19 AM
Gnomoria's patchlog is quite a bit of fun to read :D Today's update: a new hotkey. Definitely worth that two more bug-squishing sessions and hotfix the very next day, breaking up developement of bigger features to get that. New hotkey! Would download, 10/10 XD

Basically a hotfix to a hotfix, that then had to be hotfixed. Darn, didn't though anyone but HiRez can pull that off :D Now, someone tell me daily updates are a good idea, when things like that happen to weekly ones :D

I never said it was optimal. I gave an example of a game/a dev who does use rapid development cylces. As you sarcastically pointed out, it leads to some rather miniscule updates. Like waiting for sounds for several weeks that add nothing to the game besides being said sounds.

A thing that Rimworld currently shares. At least we get some moddability in the same time, which is the only saving grace of the current no-update timeframe if you ask me.

Galileus

Quote from: Merry76 on January 15, 2014, 10:32:39 AMI never said it was optimal. I gave an example of a game/a dev who does use rapid development cylces. As you sarcastically pointed out, it leads to some rather miniscule updates. Like waiting for sounds for several weeks that add nothing to the game besides being said sounds.

A thing that Rimworld currently shares. At least we get some moddability in the same time, which is the only saving grace of the current no-update timeframe if you ask me.

Never said you said anything. Just stating a inb4, knowing there will be someone asking, why can't RimWorld have such updates.

And with all due respect, your comment ad. sounds not adding nothing to the game is simply... well, to put it blatantly, stupid. It's like saying that menus, rules, mechanics, code, balancing, difficulty, hotkeys, UI, options or the quality of port add nothing to the game. Well, actually nope. It would be like saying "controls don't add nothing to the game except for controls. It's a shame we need to waste an update, because Tynan has to put controls in game". Sounds are integral and very important part of any media that can use them - and you could even argue they are more important in games than in movies. The fact, that you would want something else is simply irrelevant. This game is not being made for you, and what you want is of no merit. I want world peace, but I'm not going to complain there won't be one in the update.

Not to mention some things need to be established at ground level before proceeding forward. Even if you dislike that fact, it's still a fact.

Your demanding tone is simply inappropriate. You act like as if you're the one founding the whole thing, having to put up with some "stupid decision" of your employees to put sounds in the game. This is not the case. You're of course free to state your opinion, just don't be surprised when someone will point out that your opinion is wrong.

Merry76

Quote from: Galileus on January 15, 2014, 10:56:46 AM
Your demanding tone is simply inappropriate. You act like as if you're the one founding the whole thing, having to put up with some "stupid decision" of your employees to put sounds in the game. This is not the case. You're of course free to state your opinion, just don't be surprised when someone will point out that your opinion is wrong.

Boy is it hard to bring a tone across on the internet. Because whatever tone you read out of my post - it wasnt the one I carried when I pressed "post". Thats normal, I remember disagreeing with you on similar topics.

My Kickstarter tier says "influencer" not "employer of Tynan(TM)". I am aware of that and wouldnt suggest otherwise. You probably got the wrong person. Tynan has a pretty good idea what he wants with the game, and somewhen in 2014 he will do things that make it fun again for me, of this I am quite sure. And solve stuff like "1 way to win", "Godhand wins", "Too many guns", "Food doesnt matter post Day X", "Walls burn better than actual burnables" etc. You know, game stuff. And we will have sounds in the game. I mean, more sounds than we already do. Which is fine.

That I value game mechanics over "polish" (not the nationality) like graphic and sound is no secret. I value stuff that makes a game "fun" or "Fun" for me over what it looks or sounds like. I am also willing to wait for whatever all those games I have "founded" (that is what kickstarter does, btw.) turn up to be, if they ever do (I have partially given up on Towns (goes kinda nowhere) and Castle Story (they need to learn how to create a GUI).... Those seem to have other things in mind when it comes to gaming...).