Visitors Mechanic - Entertainment

Started by Tamorr, September 17, 2014, 12:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamorr

After watching a few youtube channels, and having a chance to play the game on a friend's computer I was noticing there is not much you do with visitors that arrive from the friendly tribes. I have looked through a lot of the pages worth of ideas, and only found a few that either only similar, but not what I had in mind.

I was thinking of a place where the visitors could be entertained and sleep. Think tatooine for the at least the bar. We would build a place designated to function as such. It could be a bunch of items added to ensure it is for visitors; like bar tables & chairs, as well some production places geared towards this. Also possibly an item that stores some food/drink specifically for them like a serving tray/cart of some kind.

In general items for the visitors to interact with while they visit the colony. I mention a sleeping place, but that could be just an option added to the beds to be marked for visitors. In that was you could make a room or so for them to spend the night in if desired.

The main focus here is to have something for the visitors to do. This is important for the result of doing so. That being a chance to recruit or them wanting to join your colony. It can be a small chance based upon how well their stay was. Only 1 per group would be able to join, so not to overpopulate quickly. This meaning if none want to join then that group of visitors will just leave in the end of their stay. (This part I am sure needs a bit more work, but is part of the idea I had in mind)

This of course is an idea that would work with all colonies, but could be an interesting option I think in making use of visitors without having to destroy relations by clubbing them over the head & tossing them into refinement quarters. It might or could be something that you would have to research so that would imply in the very least not something you could do from the get go. It being something one could think about beyond the slave trader in order to gain some colonists.

I can see it being quite a challenge to keep something like this up while being invaded/attacked from hostiles in that certain style of play, but have a chance to expand their force/colony from loss in a slightly different way than it is now. However for those that play with building in mind could utilize this to expand their colony ranks, or chance thereof.

This is just something I have been thinking of for a while, and just got around putting the idea out there in the very least.  :)

JimmyAgnt007

They could pay for rooms and food with silver or other goods, they have tabs like 'prisoner' where you can select if you want to recruit them.  rather than limit it to 1 per group.  say you lost a bunch of people in a fight.  lets you recruit from visitors without having to arrest them and tick off their town.  Maybe a mini trade window, or a land based caravan.  Just replace the mech with a wagon for animation.  Maybe some visitors need medical attention.  If you treat them (for money) it improves relations. 

Mystic

I especially like the idea of giving your colonists a slight chance to recruit an especially interesting visitor to join your colony voluntarily, without having to "arrest" them and hence ruin relations with that group.  (I imagine the ability to select one of your colonists and then right-click on a visitor and select "attempt to recruit so-and-so".)  It could be a pretty slim chance given the limited amount of time for convincing them, with the social skill of the person doing the recruiting modifying that a bit of course, but the advantage would be that you could pick and choose which visitor(s) seem to have skills that your colony could use ... and if you are fortunate enough to get them to volunteer, it wouldn't necessarily hurt your relations with their former town/group either.

JimmyAgnt007

Also the odds would depend on the relations with the town.  So if you got 100 after spending some silver, then it would be easier. 

Johnny Masters

Also, before anyone speak against as "its not in the survival spirit of the game", remember there are already tons of other organized lifeforms in the world, so the potential is there, there's no reason not to make the most out of it.

Tamorr

Wow, glad I'm not the only one whom thinks this would be great to have.

i am unsure of using the rooms as a sort of prison style recruitment, but it seems feasible with a little work. As in if they are not convinced by the time they leave, then it is obviously not able to get that colonist. That would be an interesting twist on how the prison mechanic be used per say; although this means they could walk out at any time, unlike prisons. Quite a few interesting additions, especially the caravan one, which could be an event type I would think.

@mystic That is also an interesting way to go about it, never thought about it that way; the right clicking to choose which one with the have chance to join. I mainly only covered for the random ones, but that might work if wanting a specific one to join. So it would be a choice in having either a random or a specific one to attempt to pull over the colonists.

Yeah there probably would be a few factors in how you recruit. It is good to hear so many adding to this; like the relations number & social skill of the person setup to convince(warden or maybe even a separate skill all together that is for this purpose, which is based on social.) Basically it was the idea it would be a slim chance, since the limited time they are there, so we are on the same page on that one, just didn't go into great detail on the how it is done part in the OP, due to was unsure what would make sense. But all this does make sense.

survival spirit? I would think if you can survive while being able to build accommodations, that would consistent a different way to survive. After all colonies in the past didn't survive by themselves. People decided to move or live in that colony just for what it had or what it was at the time... So I see no reason technically that the survival spirit would be tarnished; it really all sums to how you go about playing the game, each to their own style of play. :)

Zsword

I would like to be able to heal wounded visitors without capping them myself. :( I can't just leave them there to die from bleeding out! He was just caught in the middle... Why are you maaad. ;~;

Johnny Masters

Quote from: Zsword on September 17, 2014, 07:29:43 PM
I would like to be able to heal wounded visitors without capping them myself. :( I can't just leave them there to die from bleeding out! He was just caught in the middle... Why are you maaad. ;~;

Everyone wants it for quite some time, hopefully it will be in 7 :D

keylocke

* "visitor zones" to assign a specific area where visitors will hang-out, rather than letting them stay in your killzone.
* visitors will pay for food and beds that they eat or occupy in the visitor zone, by dropping some silver.
* "visitor tab" similar to "prisoner tab" that will allow your wardens to try and recruit them in the short amount of time of their visit.
* having a high average-morale after leaving your colony will slightly increase your relationship with that faction

skullywag

Quote from: keylocke on September 17, 2014, 10:49:21 PM

* "visitor zones" to assign a specific area where visitors will hang-out, rather than letting them stay in your killzone.
* visitors will pay for food and beds that they eat or occupy in the visitor zone, by dropping some silver.
* "visitor tab" similar to "prisoner tab" that will allow your wardens to try and recruit them in the short amount of time of their visit.
* having a high average-morale after leaving your colony will slightly increase your relationship with that faction

I like everything about this.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Zsword

I also approve everything with this, it looks great. I'd also suggest adding the ability to 'rescue' visiting people in critical condition and treat them in a Medical bed in a 'Visitor' Zone. Maybe giving a rep boost when they 'release' themselves upon regaining consciousness.

Involved

That is a great list. Might I add that the number of visitors needs to be linked in some fashion to the amount of colonists/wealth, much like raids are. I wouldn't want lots of visitors turning up to a small colony and eating all the food, even if they pay for it, it would be crippling. And as something extra nice, why not the odd special event whereby a very highly skilled/unique character turns up? Sounds exciting from both gameplay and story perspectives.
Thank you Tynan for creating a game of my dreams. Let's all help make Rimworld the best it can be!

Numar

[...]
I thought in this direction as well after reading the first post. If you host them well (beds, food etc), relationship will increase. Increased relationship will reduce the cost to call them* for help or send better equipped helpers.

*hrhr, in the far future, this can result in another feature: other colonies calling YOU for help. Choose and equip your colonists and send them into battles at random generated colonies under attack! If the friendly colony survives, bonus for you. If the battle is lost, try to save your colonists and even some survivors. But beware: the attackers might follow you to your home!

JimmyAgnt007

@Involved  I think that if we have a visitor zone, they only eat what food you put there.  so they cant eat your primary source of food and cripple you.  just the extra stuff you put out. 

Tamorr

That is a nice list. Definitely in line with what I had in mind. :D

Might add some of these to the OP later when I have time, as there are quite a few nice additions to what I already have. :)

Quote from: Involved on September 18, 2014, 07:30:58 AM
That is a great list. Might I add that the number of visitors needs to be linked in some fashion to the amount of colonists/wealth, much like raids are. I wouldn't want lots of visitors turning up to a small colony and eating all the food, even if they pay for it, it would be crippling. And as something extra nice, why not the odd special event whereby a very highly skilled/unique character turns up? Sounds exciting from both gameplay and story perspectives.

That would be good for a couple more factors to be considered when determining things. Right now it appears random in the amount of visitors you get, so this could help control or tone down the amount so It appears more gradual like the raids. :)