[1.0] Turret Collection (update 02.03.2019, adds more contents)

Started by eatKenny, October 15, 2014, 06:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vas

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on July 19, 2015, 10:22:47 PMBut I do agree with you on the last one, though I think there should be 2 cores just to build the first thing, so you have one ai core scouring the battlefield. Because AI cores are rly good, a lot better than modern day AI's.
And what modern day AIs do you see scanning battlefields right now, breaking down every single variable to make accurate shots, predicting the locations of 70 troops so they can take each one out in one to two shots, always aiming for something vital? :P  We don't even have modern day AI, we have programmable bots on wheels.

Kiva, those are little warehouse robots that use a mother computer to run logistics and sync with all the little ones.  The little ones have an on board processing unit with a set of instructions it performs on it's own.  It distributes it's computing with the cluster by syncing with the command module.  The command module is pretty big, and has a lot of on board processors to compute everything and sync up with all the robots on the floor to update them all and say "Hey, there's an obstruction at x,y,z" so all of them start to evade it till someone removes it.  Each one has it's own "AI core" while the command module has like 8-32, maybe more.  I'm qualifying these AI cores as just a processing unit, nothing more really.  I might even consider making a mod that lets you construct them.  In fact, I think I will after I do a bit of research and stuff, and after I fix up my hydroponics mod a bit to include some new stuff.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

eatKenny

thanks for the ideas and discussion guys, however i'm now busy with work, may take a while to update.

Iwillbenicetou

Quote from: Vas on July 20, 2015, 04:09:04 AM
Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on July 19, 2015, 10:22:47 PMBut I do agree with you on the last one, though I think there should be 2 cores just to build the first thing, so you have one ai core scouring the battlefield. Because AI cores are rly good, a lot better than modern day AI's.
And what modern day AIs do you see scanning battlefields right now, breaking down every single variable to make accurate shots, predicting the locations of 70 troops so they can take each one out in one to two shots, always aiming for something vital? :P  We don't even have modern day AI, we have programmable bots on wheels.

Because AI cores are super good. They can calculate whether it's a good time to travel home, or wait a millenia. Also, AI CORE. It's amazing. And also, all of the automatic turrets use 1 AI core. So it can scan, shoot at weak points, and cause tons of damage in one AI core. You are sort of pushing it with 2. Let alone 1.
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Vas

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on July 21, 2015, 08:37:15 PM

Because AI cores are super good. They can calculate whether it's a good time to travel home, or wait a millenia. Also, AI CORE. It's amazing. And also, all of the automatic turrets use 1 AI core. So it can scan, shoot at weak points, and cause tons of damage in one AI core. You are sort of pushing it with 2. Let alone 1.

AI core is another word for processing unit.  It's like me calling my CPU Intel.

Each turret requires 1 AI core, that means that each turret needs a separate one.  Now, the additional AI cores are to determine if there are threats and if they should activate the turrets.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Iwillbenicetou

Quote from: Vas on July 22, 2015, 12:32:37 AM
Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on July 21, 2015, 08:37:15 PM

AI core is another word for processing unit.  It's like me calling my CPU Intel.

Each turret requires 1 AI core, that means that each turret needs a separate one.  Now, the additional AI cores are to determine if there are threats and if they should activate the turrets.
Then why does there need to be 2, if it's just scanning for threats and activating them. My CPU can easily do that, let alone and advanced AI

Vas

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on July 22, 2015, 01:31:20 PM
Then why does there need to be 2, if it's just scanning for threats and activating them. My CPU can easily do that, let alone and advanced AI
Your CPU can scan 35-75 meters out from each and every single link point (turret) and detect threats and spin up defense drives, onlining defenses and giving them the necessary details to find the nearest threat and target it?

Turret CPU controls the turrets functions, helping it operate at maximum efficiency as well as tracking a target.
Assistant CPU, watches the battlefield, scanning twice the distance of all your turrets locations to see when a threat is approaching and if it should online the defenses in that area so that the turrets are offline until they are needed.  Not draining all of your power constantly.  The assistant CPU can only cover so much, it would take two CPUs to manage so much battlefield area.  After it detects threats and tells which turrets to turn on, telling them there is a threat in their general vicinity, those turrets CPU takes over and tracks the target more precisely.  Get it?

eatKenny

how about this: i will add a fire-control system (which will require an AI core to build), all the auto turrets from this mod will require command from this system.

ctgill

Quote from: eatKenny on July 23, 2015, 02:58:29 PM
how about this: i will add a fire-control system (which will require an AI core to build), all the auto turrets from this mod will require command from this system.

That sounds like it would make this require some end game stuff. I like end game stuff, gives me something to work for.
Yes. Yes, this is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... "This Land.".

Iwillbenicetou

Quote from: Vas on July 23, 2015, 12:18:49 AM
Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on July 22, 2015, 01:31:20 PM
Your CPU can scan 35-75 meters out from each and every single link point (turret) and detect threats and spin up defense drives, onlining defenses and giving them the necessary details to find the nearest threat and target it?

Turret CPU controls the turrets functions, helping it operate at maximum efficiency as well as tracking a target.
Assistant CPU, watches the battlefield, scanning twice the distance of all your turrets locations to see when a threat is approaching and if it should online the defenses in that area so that the turrets are offline until they are needed.  Not draining all of your power constantly.  The assistant CPU can only cover so much, it would take two CPUs to manage so much battlefield area.  After it detects threats and tells which turrets to turn on, telling them there is a threat in their general vicinity, those turrets CPU takes over and tracks the target more precisely.  Get it?

2 to build, 1 for 1 turret, and one for scanning the battlefield. All it has to do is think,
Threats=0
Or when there is things
Threats=6
Weapons= 1 Spr Chrg Rfl, 2 Frag Grnades, 3 Nrml Assault Rifles
Switch control onto other AI Core

Which is each individual turrets. Then each turret has a health overview of most powerful target in range. Then it fires at weak points until it kills the enemy, then moves onto other targets

Vas

avenger and chain gun turrets don't have a range.  The max game range is 56, they are set to 75.

Vas

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on July 23, 2015, 10:49:14 PM
2 to build, 1 for 1 turret, and one for scanning the battlefield. All it has to do is think,
Threats=0
Or when there is things
Threats=6
Weapons= 1 Spr Chrg Rfl, 2 Frag Grnades, 3 Nrml Assault Rifles
Switch control onto other AI Core

Which is each individual turrets. Then each turret has a health overview of most powerful target in range. Then it fires at weak points until it kills the enemy, then moves onto other targets

Rough example of support core code; might make a better one later.
Code (Support Cores) Select

while true do
    scan cell
    determine if object is threat
    if threat == true:
        activate attack cores in range
        synchronize threat data to cores
    determine if object is tree
    if tree == true:
        add tree to database at x,y

Ok, so now this support core is scanning each cell while condition is true.  Since condition is always true, it can't ever stop.  Lets say you have one single turret, with a range of 29.  This support core scans 20 cells further.

Range 29 = 2452 apparently.  But for the sake of this, and because I don't have the game's source code in circle making, I'm going to use math.

Range 29 = 2642 cells (rounded)
+20 more range, = 7543 cells.

That's a LOT of land to cover.  A LOT.  Now, lets say the support core can manage 5000 easy.  And needs additional support when you have more than 10k cells in range.  Unless your perfectly alright with your defenses lagging behind and not activating because the core did not see the hostile enter range.

Just like a CPU can't keep up with the game anymore when I turn on my shield generator that has a range of 56.  It's just too much data.  It can't handle that much data stream, even with an overclocked i7 (though, it might also be because Rimworld may not support multi-core machines so...)

In the case that Rimworld doesn't support multi-core, you can see how a secondary core will support the first as I have 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores in my machine.

When the data stream for the support core becomes too large, you need more.  I now ammend my statement to requiring 1 core per 5000 squares in the turret ranges +20.  (Turret range +20 more range, maybe I'll drop it to +10 but who knows.)

You assume programs are simple and do only one thing.  How does the support core know the difference between a hostile and a non hostile?  How does it know that a tree isn't a person?  Or a muffalo isn't an enemy?  The turret has to scan each and every single cell in real time, and cells are I'd say 1 meter in size.  Just guessing here based on some stats I gathered before.  Maybe more.  Now that's 7,543 meters this support core must scan in REAL time.

It must determine whether a tree is just a tree, if someone could be hiding behind it by looking at shadows, it must determine if an animal is behaving normally, or if it's gone bazerk.  It must determine if someone is hostile or not so it doesn't start shooting allies or colonists that are walking around.  It must actively do all of this constantly.  That's not even possible for current day computers to do RL.  Sure, you can do it in a game, because the game tags things with ID codes in the programming and the processor on your computer isn't ACTUALLY doing the work that it would do if it were doing this process for REAL.  Seeing every leaf move in real time and still not triggering an alert just because a squirrel jumped out of the tree.

In fact, I think I'm being too generous with the numbers considering even this much data stream may be near impossible for 3000 years in the future.

iFailatRimworld

update to Alpha 12 if possible? if not, just take your time. i'll wait.

Patrykbono20

What do you think about the possibility of creating these segments to build a smaller department like a minigun?

eatKenny

this update is easier than i think, so here it is ;D

I'd like to add new stuff like fire control system but now i have very little time so maybe later