[A13] EdB Mod Order - DISCONTINUED (15 July 2016)

Started by EdB, November 15, 2014, 07:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdB

Announcement (15 July 2016)
I will not be updating the Mod Order mod for Alpha 14.  Because the mod screen in the vanilla game now includes the ability to re-order mods, we should not be losing any functionality by this mod's absence.

Thanks to everyone who's used the mod.

EdB Mod Order

Easily choose the order in which your mods load with the Mod Order mod.  This mod replaces the Mods menu with a new version that lets you move your mods up or down in the list to specify the order in which they should load.

How to use:

• Install the mod as usual.
  • Go into the Mods menu and enable the EdB Mod Order mod.
  • Close the Mods menu.
  • Go into the Mods menu again.  You will now see the modded version of the menu.
  • Select a mod from the list of available mods and click the "Add" button to move it into the list of active mods.
  • Use the arrow buttons to change the order in which active mods load.  Alternatively, use the up and down arrow keys as keyboard shortcuts.
  • Select a mod from the list of active mods and click the "Remove" button to deactivate the mod.  Alternatively, use the delete key as a keyboard shortcut.
  • When you click the "Close" button, your selected mods will be loaded in the order specified.
  • This order is saved by the game (as normal) so the next time that you start the game, your selected order will be preserved.

Download 0.13.1.2 for Alpha 13
Download 1.6.1 for Alpha 12

I've seen issues recently where Dropbox downloads were being blocked by browsers.  It looks like this is no longer an issue, but if you need an alternate download location, you can log in to the Ludeon forums and download the mod from the attachment at the bottom of this post.

Release note/changelog:

Version 0.13.1.2 (2016-04-23)

- Fixed threading issues with textures and game objects.
- Changed versioning scheme.

Version 1.7.1 (2016-04-09)

- Added support for Alpha 13.

Version 1.6.1 (2015-08-23)

- Added support for Alpha 12.

Version 1.5.2 (2015-07-04)

- Added support for Alpha 11b.
- Added community-provided French translation.

Version 1.5.1 (2015-06-10)

- Added support for Alpha 11.

Version 1.4.1 (2015-04-18)

- Added support for Alpha 10.

Version 1.3.1 (2015-02-20)

- Added support for Alpha 9.

Version 1.2.1 (2014-12-14)

- Added support for Alpha 8.

Version 1.1.1 (2014-12-01)

- Moved the order buttons outside of the active mod list box and added
   buttons to move mods to the top or to the bottom of the list.
- Added some additional warnings if you try to move the Core mod from the
   first position in the list or if you try to remove all mods from the list.
- A handful of code tweaks, including the addition of extensive comments.
- Added source code to the distribution.

Version 1.0.1 (2014-11-15)

- Initial release

[attachment deleted due to age]

JuliaEllie

Hehe very good work as always :) I am a secret admirer and prepare carefully taught me a lot on GUI programming. Thank you very much :)

Romi

My God!This mod should fix other mod conflicts EdB you are a genius!

mipen

diegopesente

At least, no more "mark module> exit rimworld> open rimworld> mark module>exit rimworld"....!

Jaxxa

Very nice.

I made an external tool that did something similar, but this is heaps better be able to do this from in game.

AurOn2401

Do mods at the bottom of the list over-write things at the top of the list, where possible?

Edit: I see you have recipe nurse loaded AFTER Extended surgery and bionics, which requires recipe nurse to run. Hmm.

SteaN

Very good. Are you plan integrate mod sorter ? Analog BOSS for Skyrim.

EdB

Quote from: AurOn2401 on November 16, 2014, 03:55:58 AM
Do mods at the bottom of the list over-write things at the top of the list, where possible?

Mods at the top load first.  Mods at the bottom load last.  Beyond that, the mod loading behavior does not change.  I'm actually not entirely sure what the default behavior is when a mod loads later.  Maybe someone who knows better can answer that question?

Quote from: AurOn2401 on November 16, 2014, 03:55:58 AM
Edit: I see you have recipe nurse loaded AFTER Extended surgery and bionics, which requires recipe nurse to run. Hmm.

From a quick look at the code, it looks like Recipe Nurse does its recipe additions immediately after all mods have been loaded, so it may not matter where it is in the list--as long as it's there.  That said, the combination that you see in the screenshot is not a real combination that I play with--I just threw together an example for the screen grab.

Important with Recipe Nurse: you should still restart RimWorld after changing your mod load order if your active mod list includes Recipe Nurse.  Recipe Nurse runs once the first time it is loaded and will not run again--even if you enable other mods.  Restarting is the only way to guarantee that mods that you added get picked up by Recipe Nurse.

EdB

Quote from: SteaN on November 16, 2014, 05:52:35 AM
Very good. Are you plan integrate mod sorter ? Analog BOSS for Skyrim.

Probably not.  I don't know much about BOSS--I'm not a Skyrim player--but it sounds great.  I'm not sure how it works.  You need to have some way of telling that mod A is a dependency for mod B, and I don't think that there's enough information in RimWorld mod definitions to be able to do that.  Without being able to figure that out automatically, you'd need to either maintain that information yourself in the "sorter" mod, or you'd need to define an XML file format that mod makers could include to provide the information in their mods.  Both options are more than I can commit to--and it probably makes sense to wait until the game is a little closer to release before trying something like that.

SteaN

skullywag

I still haven't had a need for this type of thing (its only the medical stuff I think but I don't have the issue as I don't use the mods affected) but this is still a great addon for when it truly does become thing (if it does).
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

EdB

Quote from: skullywag on November 16, 2014, 02:22:21 PM
I still haven't had a need for this type of thing (its only the medical stuff I think but I don't have the issue as I don't use the mods affected) but this is still a great addon for when it truly does become thing (if it does).

To tell you the truth, I haven't really run into this problem either--but I don't play with too many mods.  I noticed that it was recently getting mentioned more and more, and it was a pretty easy mod to put together, so I figured I'd do it.  I probably won't put much effort into it beyond this initial release.

Being able to know the order in which mods load does raise a couple of interesting possibilities.  For example, mods that consist of just code libraries would be much easier to manage.  This is something I've considered putting together in the past, but it was always just too messy to think about when you have no idea which mod is going to load first.

skullywag

I can see it being useful if 1 mod overrides another mods things for example, you would get the last one in the list, so tweak mods loaded last could become a thing. The base mod loads first the tweak loads after, thats probably how Id use it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

StorymasterQ

I think you need to idiot-proof this better. Let's not enable Core to be anywhere but the top. It can still be excluded (if one uses something that replaces it) but if it's in the list, it should ALWAYS be top.

Excluding Core should also be warned against, but it's not impossible for users of advanced mods that replaces (not just overrides) it.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here