[MOD] (Alpha 7) Floor Function Options v0.8.0 (27-11-2014) (Early release)

Started by Nommy, November 26, 2014, 01:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nommy

This simple mod adds multiple versions of each floor type with varying speed, beauty and cost.

(Screenshot taken while using EdB Interface UI Mod. Without this the buttons are a little too small for the labels.)

Speed Options
   Slow      57%
   Steady    100%
   Swift     118%
   Fast      144%

Beauty Options
   Ugly       0
   Nice       3
   Beautiful  5

The costs are based purely on the speed, beauty and type of material the floor is built from.
So 'nice swift' concrete floors will cost the same as 'nice swift' stone tile floors and they will be statistically identical.
The idea is to remove arbitrary variations in cost, beauty and speed so you can choose floor styles based entirely on cosmetic appearance, selecting whatever speed and beauty you need and can afford.

Floor Costs:
Prices:          Wood/Stone/Metal  Cloth/Carpet
Slow   Ugly         1             3
Slow   Nice         1             3
Slow   Beautiful    2             4

Steady Ugly         1             3
Steady Nice         2             4
Steady Beautiful    4             6

Swift  Ugly         1             3
Swift  Nice         4             6
Swift  Beautiful    5             7

Fast   Ugly         2             4
Fast   Nice         4             6
Fast   Beautiful    8             10

Exceptions:
Smooth stone       always free, work to build is 100x cloth floor cost

Comments and criticism is always welcome.

Download
Attached to this post, or:
Floor Function Options v0.8.0  (27-11-2014).zip (sendspace)

How to install
[MOD HELP] (Alpha 7) How to install and update all types of mods.

Compatibility
Existing saves: No, I don't think so, sorry, you'll probably need to start a new game.

Other mods: Depends on whether they modify the vanilla floors or Floors DesignationCategoryDef. If so the mod which is activated last will take precedence I believe. I doubt there'll be any big dramas though, but IDK for sure.

Id suggest you also use EdB Interface UI Mod so the buttons are larger, and also because that mod is awesome!

License
Do what ever you like with it, just give credit where appropriate. Feel free to use it in mod packs without asking, I'd like to know if you do though (post here or PM, thanks).

Why make/use this?
I don't know how much practical difference the beauty makes, but it always kinda bugged me that carpet was less beautiful than the free smooth stone yet harder to come by. Also, I wanted to try using floors of varying speed in different places to try and influence the pathing. Like using more expensive fast floors along walkways, and slower floors in stockpiles to discourage colonists from walking over the items. The only way I could think of doing it so I wasn't limited to using a specific floor for a specific speed was to add category for each speed & beauty containing all the floors.

I'm going to be using it with the feelgood modpack when I've added those floors too, but since I had a seemingly working vanilla version I thought I'd upload it in case anyone else wanted something like this.

Design notes
It's fairly easy to add floors as there's a template to copy and paste which has 5 terms to find/replace with the info it needs.

I did look briefly to see if it might be possible to use the stuff system to do this, but I'm not sure it is in this version of rimworld. I think you'd need a separate stuff category so that 'nice steady' didn't come up in the list when you're building walls. There was an empty folder which looked like it was intended for that, but I'm not sure if it's implemented or what. Also, the stuff would need to specify the amount of other resources to use, like 'fast ugly floor' is 5 wood or 5 stone or 8 cloth or whatever depending on which floor was being built and IDK how you'd do that.

Also, about XML entities which I only just found out about. It seems that you can use the SYSTEM ones to 'include' another file, which was how I did the abstract base classes (are they called that in xml?). But he parser throws a wobbly if you try and use string entities to substitute stuff, e.g putting <!ENTITY FloorLabel "wood floor"> at the top and using <label>&FloorLabel; (ugly, slow)</label> in the defs caused the game to hang. Anyway FYI. If anyone knows a way to do this, please do tell.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Ded1

Sweet once you get it all in there mind if i add it to the pack?  The only other mods i am thinking of adding for a while (probably till alpha 8 ) is the xtra trees mod (still gotta ask for permission) and the zombie mod (which i have permission for just havent added it yet, and will do so in a secondary download, so it doesnt have to be used).  So as far as i know, there should be no new flooring for a while.

And yes i know you gave me permission to use your mods before but i figured i would still do you the courtesy of asking for permission since this had not been released at the time.

P.S. Its great to know people are actually using the pack!
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

Nommy

Igabod

Quote from: Ded1 on November 26, 2014, 02:11:54 PM
The only other mods i am thinking of adding for a while (probably till alpha 8 ) is the xtra trees mod (still gotta ask for permission)

I give you full permission to use XtraTrees as long as you credit me for it and put a link to the original thread for it. If you want to use my lamps mod I don't require any credits or links to it if you don't feel like it. I also have another mod coming out in the next few days which you might want to add, maybe not, but if you do want to then you can use it with the stipulation of credit and a link on it as well. You obviously won't be using my FastFloors mod since you'll be adding this which goes a bit further with that idea than I did, but if you did want to use it then it is another one that I don't require credit or a link on.

Ded1

Well thank you.  I will give credit just like all others and i will pm you a link to the thread.  I give the same courtesy to everyone that allows me to use their mods.
Feel Good Modpack

Igabod

Quote from: Ded1 on November 26, 2014, 03:34:48 PM
Well thank you.  I will give credit just like all others and i will pm you a link to the thread.  I give the same courtesy to everyone that allows me to use their mods.

Don't need a pm with a link to the thread. I've been watching that thread already. Looks like a really nice mod pack is shaping up. :)

Ded1

Yeah not looking forward to working out all the researches though.  That is gonna take forever so i am trying to work out any bugs and stuff now.
Feel Good Modpack

Igabod

Quote from: Ded1 on November 26, 2014, 03:40:04 PM
Yeah not looking forward to working out all the researches though.  That is gonna take forever so i am trying to work out any bugs and stuff now.

I feel ya there. But if you have any problems with making my mod work feel free to message me. You shouldn't have any issues with the mods you currently have in the pack because I use almost all of them and haven't had any problems yet. I haven't actually tested the compatibility of purple ivy with the trees yet but I'm pretty sure they work together as long as XtraTrees is loaded last (which is why it was named with an X instead of Ex as the first part).

skullywag

If the trees use the same defs as trees in core theyll just get eaten by the ivy as the core ones do. Load order wouldnt matter for that.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Igabod

Quote from: skullywag on November 26, 2014, 03:50:17 PM
If the trees use the same defs as trees in core theyll just get eaten by the ivy as the core ones do. Load order wouldnt matter for that.

yeah they are just copy/pasted/edited versions of the poplar tree essentially.

Ded1

Cool one less thing to deal with then.

Btw sorry for stealing your thread nommy.
Feel Good Modpack

Nommy

Hehe IDM, go nuts, it makes it seem important with all the chatter :)

Ded1

mostly talking about adding stuff to the modpack and some possible (though they didn't happen) compatibility issues.
Feel Good Modpack