[MOD] (Alpha 8) Roof Support v0.8.3 (21-12-2014)

Started by Nommy, November 16, 2014, 07:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nommy

Hi, this is a very simple mod which adds a support column structure to hold up the roof.

• Can be walked through and stood in
  • Does not provide any cover
  • Displays supported roof area
Uses include open underground bases or kill zones.

AFAIK it works as intended, but I've not used it much in this version or done much modding so please let me know any problems or thoughts. Cheers.

Credits
Igabod, Minus, Shinzy, Vas and everyone else who contributed ideas for the column graphics. Thanks, you guys are awesome!

Download
RoofSupport v0.8.3 (21-12-2014).zip (Sendspace)
also attached to this post

How to install
[MOD HELP] (Alpha 8) How to install and update all types of mods.

Compatibility
Existing Saves: Yes     AFAIK it's fine to add to existing games.
Other Mods: Yes         AFAIK there should be no conflicts with other mods as this does not modify existing objects. It adds completely new buildings.

Known Issues
The black border changes width as you pan the view about. This appears to be a limitation of the game because the stools do it too.

Changelog
v0.8.3  Updated to Alpha 8 by Vas. Removed redundant power conduit version.
v0.8.2  Changed to use column texture made by Minus & Shinzy thanks guys!
v0.8.1  Changed to use side on fluted column texture made by Igabod, thanks man!
v0.8     Original texture (more top down and lame)

Old versions
Rimworld Alpha 7:
RoofSupport v0.8.2 (27-11-2014).zip (sendspace)
RoofSupport v0.8 (16-11-14).zip (sendspace)
RoofSupport v0.8.1 (19-11-2014).zip (sendspace)

License
Do what ever you like with it, just give credit where appropriate. Feel free to use it in mod packs without asking, I'd like to know if you do though (post here or PM, thanks).

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Igabod

I was actually working on this same thing. Though mine wouldn't have had the feature with the display of what is supported. Nor was I planning on making the power conduit version. Well since you did a better job than I was going to do I'll stop my project and just release my texture for it here in case you want to use it. No need to credit me or anything if you don't want to. I'm also willing to do additional column textures if you like.

Nommy

Um, sorry to ruin your project, I didn't know. I'll try it with the texture you put there maybe tomorrow, thanks for that! It already looks better than my MS paint hack.

Also, just grab the xml code I used and use it for your project if you like. I forgot to say about licence - do what you want I don't care. I just made this so I'd have something that I can put in a path which holds up the roof. I'll probably play this game for a week or so then get sick of it again and disappear for the next couple of months, so I dunno if I'll be about to update it if need be. So yeah, up to you mate. If you wanna use this code in yours go right ahead.

Also, I can't think of any use for more textures either, thanks for the offer though. I only needed the 1 to get it working with the stuff system and the game recolored it - sweet.

Igabod

Quote from: Nommy on November 16, 2014, 08:56:21 AM
Um, sorry to ruin your project, I didn't know. I'll try it with the texture you put there maybe tomorrow, thanks for that! It already looks better than my MS paint hack.

Also, just grab the xml code I used and use it for your project if you like. I forgot to say about licence - do what you want I don't care. I just made this so I'd have something that I can put in a path which holds up the roof. I'll probably play this game for a week or so then get sick of it again and disappear for the next couple of months, so I dunno if I'll be about to update it if need be. So yeah, up to you mate. If you wanna use this code in yours go right ahead.

Also, I can't think of any use for more textures either, thanks for the offer though. I only needed the 1 to get it working with the stuff system and the game recolored it - sweet.

Well when Alpha 8 rolls around I may take this and expand upon it, making numerous decorative columns with varying stats and everything. I just tested this out using my texture and it's a bit small and hard to see on some floor types. I'm going to make it just a bit thicker to make it stand out more and probably throw in a black border to make it pop out of the background even though I was trying to avoid doing that. I'll post my updated version of the texture in a while.

[edit to add] Ok just did some tweaks and it shows up better now. I've attached the new version.

decomg

Nommy

:D

Igabod, thanks again. I had a closer look and it looks like most stuff is drawn with either a top down perspective (beds, cook stoves etc) or angled from above perspective (walls, furniture) which neither of our textures really matched. Aside from doors I don't know of anything that's drawn from a side on perspective like your fluted version is, and mine is also too side on to fit in properly. I think it'd look better if one was done using the same perspective as the walls (mostly from above but from the side a bit) but it might be hard to make a column look nice from that perspective, IDK. What do you think?

Also, neither really stood out, so maybe a thicker black boarder would also be an improvement. Again IDK.

Anyway, thanks again, but I think I'll leave it as is for now. It could sure use a better texture though, that's for sure. I do like that fluted style much better, just the perspective doesn't fit I think. Did you wanna try making one using the walls perspective? I don't see myself doing it unless it really bothers me.

Igabod

Trees are from a side on perspective. So are colonists and animals. Some things just won't work from a top-down perspective. I thought of the top-down perspective and even tried it out, but it comes out looking just like a square wall section if you try that. Unless you go with a fancier octagonal top but even that doesn't look any better than just using a wall section. The only way to make a column and make it actually easily recognizable as a column is the side on angle. As for the thicker black borders, I can certainly do that. It will be a project for after I go to sleep and wake up though. I've had a very hard day today which included an unexpected walking trip for about 15 miles in 33F temps with insufficient winter clothing.

Note to self and anybody else in America. Police officers do not like when you ask them for ID and then proceed to refuse to let them search your vehicle. The always find a reason to search. Apparently in America it's a crime to know your rights and exercise them.

Nommy

It sounds like you got a real bum deal with the cops, man that sucks. Looking on the bright side, it would have been good exercise, I guess.

I tried to make a more top down one too:

Not really what I was going for. Still too side on and too fat.

The conclusion I came to was that I'd need to do it an a 3D program so the shading was right, then it might look ok. But I'd have to learn how to do that from scratch to try it. Did you try that method or were you just drawing by hand like me?

The problem I have with side on is it doesn't look like it's holding anything up, but rather just laying there on the floor. I'd prefer it if it didn't look so great, but at least looked like it was holding up the roof. So I'm not ready to give up on top down just yet.

Does anyone else have any opinion or advice?

Igabod

I only just learned how to use GIMP a month or so ago. I'm currently doing everything pixel by pixel except for a couple of my trees which I used the pixel method only for the trunk and then used brushes for the foliage on one and spray paint on another. But most of my work so far has been pixel art. I also haven't done an image larger than 64x64 that turned out right. I am still very much learning this whole thing myself. I used to do programming for online text based games. But that was a decade ago so I've avoided doing any C programming for my mods here or anything else more complicated than pixel art and xml "coding". Doing things in 3D would be way above my skill levels no matter how good I get with 2D pictures though I am afraid.

Though I do think maybe my column can be made a little more top-down (though probably still too side-on for your tastes) simply by making the top fatter than the bottom and adding in a 3D effect (like when you draw a 3D cube on notebook paper and draw diagonal lines). I say simply but I haven't attempted this method just yet. It may not be as easy as I'm hoping. I'll put it on my list of things to try later. I understand the desire for something that fits in with the rest of the game better and am trying to do that myself. This is a lot harder of a thing to get right than it initially seemed when I started on it.

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

skullywag

No need for a 3d program. Look up the dodge tool and the burn tool and use them to add shade and light areas to your art.

Check out the furniture/sofa mod in the releases section. I remember a coversation about this there with some examples.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Igabod

I haven't gotten around to attempting the slightly top-down version just yet. But I did make the current version of my column show up better by adding a double thickness black border around it and darkening the flutes (indentations on the column) a bit. I think the flutes could stand a bit more darkening to show up even better. But the column definitely stands out way better on all surfaces, including the ones in T's Mod that I tested (I didn't test them all cause there are a bunch, but I tested most of them).

The problem of them still looking like objects laying down on the ground is still there. But I'll work on that problem next. For now, here is the newest version of my fluted column just in case anybody likes it and can get past the side-on view issue.

Nommy

Good to hear you like it Dragoon, and thanks skullywag, I'll check those out too.

I tried that new texture out Igabod, and I like it! So, I updated the mod to use that texture instead and I'll be using it in my game too. Thanks man!

I ended up getting GIMP a little while back as well. To make a transparent png IIRC. There's a bit more of a learning curve than for MS paint huh :) I used to use coral draw and paintshop pro but that was a decade ago also, and I don't have them anymore, sadly. I'm looking forward to see what else you come up with. Those trees you did looked really nice too I thought.

[Edit] Also, I was trying to add a shadow similar to the ones the trees had, but wasn't having any success.
I tried adding this

<sunShadowInfo>
<baseWidth>0.3</baseWidth>
<baseHeight>0.3</baseHeight>
<tallness>0.3</tallness>
</sunShadowInfo>
but there was no shadow drawn, and no amount of fiddling changed that. I could get one like the walls use but that looks a bit crappy. Anyone got any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Minus

Like the idea! Infact, I could've done with this earlier before I caved in my entire colony trying to make a bigger bedroom. But the graphic as it is right now looks so very out of place. I'll download this mod and then make my own graphic for it. I see you are getting a lot of help already in that area, but how hard is it really to draw a cylinder? The real issue I see is when pawns walk through it, it may look weird.

Our cybernetic hearts mean we care more!
Mods: Extended Surgery and Bionics, Brain Surgery, Medical XP Balance