[MOD] (Alpha 8) Stargate - Jaffa, Kree !

Started by Carnov, December 09, 2014, 05:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dead Videos

i agree with basically the entirety of the post above. except stripping off the Kull armor that was a very difficult process in the show and shouldn't be easy to do, more thoughts on the Kull further down.

Replicators should be an event rather than a faction similar to mechanoids because getting regular attacks from replicators would/should be devastating i mean we saw how much trouble they caused on the show even the asgard couldn't stop them. And SGC was only moderately effective until they found the ancient's weapon of mass destruction. Although when the replicator event starts it should only be like 1-4 small spider form replicators and they slowly consume resources around their landing zone and multiply. Although it was never shown i'd suspect they could use organic materials like wood to replicate since they can use literally anything, from asgard ships to a rusty old submarine.

As for different factions to add i definitely think adding the Tok'ra would be pretty awesome, they'd use everything the standard jaffa do short of the big scary helmets but be allies at the start rather than hostile. As others have mentioned adding actual Goa'uld to the jaffa faction(s) would be pretty cool as well. although i should mention that the only armor worn by Goa'uld was ceremonial/decorative at best, the only real protection they had was being far away from fighting and the Kara Kesh's shield.

Weapons that could be added other than the TAC's would be fairly limited excluding the SGC's weapons because let's face it with very few exceptions they only used the P90.

The Kara Kesh or hand device would be fairly awesome, although it's function in rimworld would be hard to replicate because all of it's offensive capabilities are very close range, however it's ability to create a nearly impenetrable shield would be pretty amazing, especially if you could replicate the slower projectiles going right through it aspect, that'd be funny, you're completely invulnerable to all those bullets coming at you, but what's that? a bow!? oh crap! you gonna die!

As everyone else said the Staff cannon as a turret would be awesome. probably pretty easy too compared to OTHER weapons to replicate in rimworld. (drones/ deathgliders)

The Tok'Kal was the jaffa equivalent of grenades capable of either rendering it's targets instantly unconscious ( see season 1 finale) or exploding. I'm not sure how difficult a pure stun weapon would be to mod but it would be damned useful. And if you're thrower isn't a good arm it should be completely capable of stunning allies as well.

The Kull warriors if implemented should only be an event as well due to their incredible prowess, considering they would be capable of eliminating an entire rimworld colony singlehandedly even in the late game. Thus the kull disruptor would have to be a researched and then crafted weapon, probably very very expensive to make. Possibly add a second/third research for it that allows the disruptor to be attached to any weapon like the ones in the series ( realistically this would just lower the kull's HP and armor to the point where normal weapons could hurt it, if that is possible)

As for how one would kill a Kull without the disruptor..... i'm honestly not sure. maybe they just have absurdly high armor and HP so it would realistically take an incredibly large amount of sustained fire to kill it. To help with this Kulls should move very slowly, and since in the series they never so much as walk quickly this is reasonable. As for their armor being removable or not i'd argue towards no, because then one suit of armor would in theory be all you would ever need to stop literally ANY attack the vanilla factions could throw at you, even the jaffa would be at a loss because they too were useless against Kulls. All you'd have to do is give it to your best fighter and give him/her a decent weapon ( even a knife or a club ) and have him/her stand outside your base and murder everything as it useless tried to kill them

As far as SG teams go. i'd argue that it should be possible for them to arrive. however maybe not at first, first a jaffa faction has to set up a gate ( or one has to spawn randomly and rarely) in a siege fashion, and if not dealt with quickly the gate will spawn massive amounts of jaffa, but once neutralized there is a low chance that an SG team will come through at some point in the future. Although this would best be left out until you can trade with other factions and try to work it in so you can trade with the SG team/ ask for help from SGC. Maybe as a very,very,very late game research, involving multiple steps like naquadah research you can make/ move gates, limited to one per colony.

Anyway those are just my thoughts on the matter.

Ded1

Naquadah Generators went up to MK6 (latest version i remember them mentioning).  A MK6 was capable of powering the chair in Atlantis for a few days before burning out.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

Carnov

Whoa that's a lot of cool ideas ! :)

I'll try to answer them all.

First of all, the factions. Like you all said, It's better to keep the vanilla faction. Almost every stargate faction were mentioned, but adding them all would be quite impossible.
From what you all said, I'll try to add the Tok'ra first, to have at least one allied faction.
Also, as @kokuto and @Dead Videos said, it would be cool to add Goa'uld themselves ! The issue is that they are not real fighter except when necessary and only use the Kara Kesh shield. So I'm not going to work on that for now, but maybe later :)
I like the replicators as an event too, but for now that won't be my priority. (pretty much because I'm still a noob modder so it might be too difficult for me to add their behavior)
The SG-Teams would be possible but pretty much useless as you've said, so won't add them for now.
The kull warrior are for me too OP. @Dead Videos explained it really well, and even if we can nerf them a little, they won't on top of my list ^^
Adding other weapons (like the Kara Kesh or the Tok'Kal) will depend on how hard it is to reprouce the same behavior in rimworld. Especially the Kara Kesh shield seems quite difficult to implement at my level :p but I admit that would be fun to see an simple arrow go through the shield xD

I really like the ideas that @Selgald mentioned. For the sarcophagus and the medical bill, I'll keep those in my heads but I prefer to work on the other things first.

So I'll probably work on these from now on :

• Add the Tok'ra faction
  • The "turret" version of the Jaffa staff
  • Add Naquadah resource
  • Naquadah generators (but not too OP either)
  • A few more weapons if possible
But I don't forget about the others ^^ Just keep in mind that I'm still a real novice in modding, and some ideas might be too difficult for me :(. So if anyone wants to help in any way possible, that'll be gladly accepted :D

Anyway, thanks all for the ideas, I really appreciate  :)!

Dead Videos

I should point out that i was wrong, High ranking Goa'uld usually wear shiny *Very shiny* versions of the armor the jaffa wear when out in the field, unless like hathor/Baal they are very confident in their protectors. Presumably their shinier armor is made of sterner stuff than standard jaffa fare, and would be relatively easy to replicate in rimworld, color shift the sprites to a gold/crimson/sapphire/onyx color, add extra stats over jaffa, bam done.

As for you being a novice modder, for a novice you've already done a remarkably good job, if you need help finding sounds/ research i'd be willing to throw my hat into the ring. In nearly every game I play I find a Stargate mod, and none of them work as well as yours. ( which is sad because SG needs more awesome things T.T stargate worlds T.T)

john pretzel

Carnov,

Elstrages, the creator of cyberstorm mod did some updates to his surgery mod. One of the things he implemented aren't working on jaffas, even with the recipe copy/paste to race.xml, which is human stomach removal. In fact, all human unmodded organs couldn't be implemented in the jaffa. I can extract these from a jaffa, but not put it back or replace with the same item.

What can I do here? Cheers!

Update:

after some tests, it seems that at the moment, installing natural human organs/members isn't an option even in humans. Nano, bionic and cybernetic parts work, so it's not a jaffa issue  :)

Kree!

kokuto

Regarding the Kara Kesh shield, it may not be fully necessary to try and code it the way its supposed to work at first.

While I am no modder, I think you can break it into two parts initially. First is some sort of 'hand' sprite/icon used to represent it as a weapon which can be given to the pawn user and thus they can fire with it. Second component can be worn as some sort of accessory that provides high armour protection.

I recall the glittertech mod from previous build, the Glitterworld nano armour inside had high levels of damage resistance and made the users rather hard to kill. I think the cyberstorm mod's new armours probably have something similar to that. But in either case, I think cutting the workload down into small bits and working your way up to more advanced ways of implementing the Kara Kesh would work.

This would then allow the fielding of actual Goa'uld pawns.

Edit: I forgot that the Enhanced Defense: Phoenix Edition had personal shields. Perhaps you can speak with the mod maker and figure out how it can be done for the Kara Kesh.

Dead Videos

This thread, and this mod, have made me start watching the series all over again. Its a good thing too,  any excuse to watch SG-1 and Atlantis is a good thing. especially when you own literally the entire series on DvD. Man its crazy to think all of that was before blu-ray. You could probably fit each season onto one blu-ray disc. Even more so if you used double sided blu-rays. Hmm since one of the next upgrades for my computer is a blu-ray drive and burner i might just make that happen.

and by the way, the naquadah reactors go up to MK XII and apparently that last version is capable of powering the Atlantis shield for 800 years straight. Granted that was another timeline, but it happened in the show. so yeah... also if you do implement just the MK 1 and the MK2 it should be noted that the MK2 is 600% better in terms of efficiency and power output.

StorymasterQ

The top thing I remember from the series was "200". Specifically, the string puppets.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

SabakuOokami

Quote from: Dead Videos on December 21, 2014, 07:39:48 AM

and by the way, the naquadah reactors go up to MK XII and apparently that last version is capable of powering the Atlantis shield for 800 years straight. Granted that was another timeline, but it happened in the show. so yeah... also if you do implement just the MK 1 and the MK2 it should be noted that the MK2 is 600% better in terms of efficiency and power output.

Power generators with the possibility of wiping out your base if something goes wrong with them... If anything, it'll make you focus on protecting them against attackers.
The thought of a random pirate/tribal/jaffa (or whatever) beating it to destruction with his weapon is somewhat frightening to think about.

Dead Videos

Quote from: SabakuOokami on December 22, 2014, 10:04:35 AM
Quote from: Dead Videos on December 21, 2014, 07:39:48 AM

Power generators with the possibility of wiping out your base if something goes wrong with them... If anything, it'll make you focus on protecting them against attackers.
The thought of a random pirate/tribal/jaffa (or whatever) beating it to destruction with his weapon is somewhat frightening to think about.

While technically the reactor can only blow up if deliberately set to feedback on itself, i agree that it should explode, the explosion should pretty much be game over if it gets destroyed considering it's power levels.

Henako

What about a possibility of doing a wraith mod for stargate atlantis fans? :P

Sokengo

I still have problems with the characters tab swapped, for what I see it gives problems with EdB Interfece mod.

[attachment deleted due to age]

playajigz

Awesome mod! Having a lot of fun with it, hope to see more great stuff! :)

Asero

Agreed. The mod is really well done. Just wished they would attack my colony a little more  ;)

Jaxxa

Quote from: kokuto on December 20, 2014, 11:28:05 PM
Edit: I forgot that the Enhanced Defense: Phoenix Edition had personal shields. Perhaps you can speak with the mod maker and figure out how it can be done for the Kara Kesh.

That was done with lots of C# Code and trial and error  :D

The mod is opensource and I would be happy talking about how it could be implemented.

Although It might be better to hold off on that, it looks like personal shields are going to be in the next alpha version of the game and that is likely to be a much more elegant and robust that what I ended up doing. The shield toggles on and off the devMode colonist damage cheat.