The Most Annoying Thing In Rimworld

Started by Halinder, December 27, 2014, 09:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shinzy

Quote from: akiceabear on January 27, 2015, 07:18:07 PM
I find evaluating new apparel and weaponry a huge pain - wish there was a way to compare two items side by side, rather than info'ing one after another and trying to keep it all in mind. Usually in those cases I just remember the market value...

the way like WoW does it?
while ruggedy rags of raggedness are worn looking at Chest of breastholding of the push-upped perkiness you see them both!
that was done very nicely
and I agree the info tab is really unwieldy! (especially if modded)
it's not so big of a problem in vanilla
most of the vanilla stuff are clearly in the order of this is better than this in every way
and you learn them pretty fast

muffins

1 - When the colonists search for resources or a place to dump a rock chunk they go for the closest as the bird flies, not the closest on foot. For instance, a colonist is in a mountain and either needs materials or a dumping location for chunks. What he needs is just 15 blocks away inside the mountain, however 6 blocks away outside the mountain there is the same type of materials/dump so he walks 50 blocks in one direction to the mountain exit, then 50 blocks in the other direction to get to the materials/dump.

2 - If you need a specific bunch of items hauled you have to collar passing colonists in hallways etc to haul it one item/stack at a time. It would be nice if you could just select everything with a "ATTENTION ALL HAULERS!! HAUL THIS IMMEDIATELY OR YOU WILL BE EXECUTED!!!" tool.

3 - Your doctor just rescued an injured colonist/pirate/tribal etc from the battlefield. He's bleeding all over the hospital bed, two of his limbs are just shredded, bloody stumps, and several of his important organs are in a jar. Your doctor yawns and says "Meh, I'm a little tired. I'll fix you tomorrow," and goes off to bed.

The number of times I've had to frog-march my medics back to the hospital  ::)

FridayBiology

Quote from: muffins on January 28, 2015, 04:44:12 AM
1 - When the colonists search for resources or a place to dump a rock chunk they go for the closest as the bird flies, not the closest on foot. For instance, a colonist is in a mountain and either needs materials or a dumping location for chunks. What he needs is just 15 blocks away inside the mountain, however 6 blocks away outside the mountain there is the same type of materials/dump so he walks 50 blocks in one direction to the mountain exit, then 50 blocks in the other direction to get to the materials/dump.

2 - If you need a specific bunch of items hauled you have to collar passing colonists in hallways etc to haul it one item/stack at a time. It would be nice if you could just select everything with a "ATTENTION ALL HAULERS!! HAUL THIS IMMEDIATELY OR YOU WILL BE EXECUTED!!!" tool.

3 - Your doctor just rescued an injured colonist/pirate/tribal etc from the battlefield. He's bleeding all over the hospital bed, two of his limbs are just shredded, bloody stumps, and several of his important organs are in a jar. Your doctor yawns and says "Meh, I'm a little tired. I'll fix you tomorrow," and goes off to bed.

The number of times I've had to frog-march my medics back to the hospital  ::)

1. Wasn't this fixed?
> Tynan youtube :) http://youtu.be/RMBQn_sg7DA

2. set hallway or areas that you don't wish to have items in (area around [strike]organ farm[/strike] prison) with dumpling zone with nothing selected and max priority. It'll force haulers to stay "close" to colony though should sort your clutter issue
> you'll need to check what you've set your priorities at.
> 78 year old double peg leg minstrel has a bad back though still hasn't managed to learn how to read minds yet (maybe in the next alpha :P)

3. No idea
> Battle fatigue?
> Maybe let them sleep for abit and then draft and undraft to wake them up again, as tiredness may effect their ability to provide good medical care and no-one likes treating infections
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

muffins

1 - Not fixed. I noticed they do this in my current game.

2 - It's more a problem of massive over-production of cotton and potatoes in my case. I have thousands of spuds laying in the fields because the haulers would rather haul other items lol

I probably don't have enough haulers.

3 - Lazy doctors. I should just lock them permanently in the hospital and have them suck sustenance from a nutrient paste dispenser ... but they all have other skills  ::)

milon

#1 - May be fixed in Alpha 9. Not sure if this was included in the AI optimizations or not.

Solanus

Quote from: rbos on January 18, 2015, 03:36:40 AM
A small annoyance I have - is that when a cooler is chilling a room to -1, and the "hot zone" is -20, it still uses power. Surely the cooler could just open a vent to the outside and use no power at all.
Quote from: milon on January 18, 2015, 11:47:11 AM
^ Your thermostat takes power even when at the right temp. It has to keep monitoring the temp to know when to switch on again.
Then have the cooler/heater have three settings: standby, low, & high

TimTumm

I'll add my own, but I will do 1 better; I will add my proposed solution!
A number of people have talked about hunter shooting each other or haulers.  Other mentioned colonists walking through firefights.  I too am frustrated when my colonists decide they should go out mining, through a current raid and 20+ pirates!  I have to quickly intercept each one and "recruit' them 1-at-time, eventually missing a couple who walk through the firefight to die.

My proposed solution (apologies in advance because as a programmer I dislike unasked-for advice):
Need a concept of "danger".  Much like home-zone or grow-zone.  It is an invisible circle that colonists will not walk through (unless "recruited").  Any shooting created a "danger" circle of X (testing will determine) radius.  Weapon range will increase X radius (so a hunter with M24 will have a higher "danger" radius than pistol). Multiple "danger" zones will add to each other (by some formula) so that a mob of pirates of mechs is more dangerous, and to be given a wider birth than a single mob.  This "danger" zone will follow the source as it moves across the map.

Great game.  I can't wait for the next update.

Naraku

Quote from: TimTumm on January 29, 2015, 03:02:33 PM
I'll add my own, but I will do 1 better; I will add my proposed solution!
A number of people have talked about hunter shooting each other or haulers.  Other mentioned colonists walking through firefights.  I too am frustrated when my colonists decide they should go out mining, through a current raid and 20+ pirates!  I have to quickly intercept each one and "recruit' them 1-at-time, eventually missing a couple who walk through the firefight to die.

My proposed solution (apologies in advance because as a programmer I dislike unasked-for advice):
Need a concept of "danger".  Much like home-zone or grow-zone.  It is an invisible circle that colonists will not walk through (unless "recruited").  Any shooting created a "danger" circle of X (testing will determine) radius.  Weapon range will increase X radius (so a hunter with M24 will have a higher "danger" radius than pistol). Multiple "danger" zones will add to each other (by some formula) so that a mob of pirates of mechs is more dangerous, and to be given a wider birth than a single mob.  This "danger" zone will follow the source as it moves across the map.

Great game.  I can't wait for the next update.

I agree with this solution, and find it to be without any foreseeable problem(s). I'd love this to be added or a similar idea in an update soon(tm)!

The most annoying thing I honestly find in Rimworld, is setting up priorities to be just right. While I cannot think of a solution, my colonists often find little loop holes to do something odd until I set them up just right. Which normally take a week of in-game days. It's mainly repetitive, due to the fact I make a lot of new games. I like the challenges a new colony brings.

But second place would be the fact I can't really choose what stats they start with. While this may not be an issue in other games with randomization, it's an issue here because you CAN get the colonists you want. You just have to randomize a lot. If a person wants a colonists with certain stats, they'll get them, it's just a matter of time. Might as well let the player have the power to personally choose the stats. Though I think like in Sims 2 on the PS2, they have so many points to distribute. The older the colonist is, the more points they get. Of course what they naturally have is still affected by their childhood and adulthood.

GlassDeviant

This is a bit of a mish-mash as it is a response to some ideas as well as a couple of new ones:

Quote from: lokarn on December 28, 2014, 03:09:38 AM1. Colonists choosing the "best" meal based on nutrition with zero regard as to distance. IMO it should have more math. IE choose the meal closest to them to eat that is also the highest nutrition coders need some if then coding in there.

Noooo, if...then...else is far too primitive a construct for this kind of complex decision making. A valuation table would be necessary to make this work properly, where the initial nutritional and subjective values of the food (i.e.: a "noble" character would place more value on an expensive meal, while a scientist would place more value on a more nutritious meal) would be degraded by distance and the resulting table consulted to determine the meal that colonist went for. Reducing all that to if...then...else constructs would be hugely cumbersome and slow as molasses. Even case structures would be inadequate to the task, it needs application of a valuation formula involving all relevant factors (distance, nutritional value and, if it exists, subjective value) to reduce each opportunity to a single value that would be inserted into a table and sorted to find the best option and then act on the choice.

Quote from: lokarn on December 28, 2014, 03:09:38 AM
4. The sharing a bedroom debuff is too large, and needs a rework. Do you know how hard it is to get a room for every single colonist? You run out of room so fast, and it's a nightmare keeping them all cooled/heated/both at all times.

This needs some sort of mitigation, for example making a room with cubbies for each bed so that there is a wall between colonists but the room still only has one door, heater, cooler and light source should be adequate for a while, and then colonists could eventually be moved to private quarters and new colonists would take over the semi-shared accommodations.

Quote from: Lochar on December 28, 2014, 02:58:26 PM
I unforbid to try to get them to haul it into storage only to have them go and eat it on ground and not bring any back unless I start micromanaging. Maybe need 2nd forbid to eat option.

I can totally get behind this, instead of just "permitted/forbidden" there should be three options that you rotate through with the F key, with the third being "haul but do not use". This would be useful for a number of reasons:

* gather food in one place for use when the stuff you are cooking gets low
* gather materials in one place so you know exactly how much you have available for building
* gather original medkits as well as those dropped by escape pods or bought from traders in your storage area to save for building med-beds, while you use herbal medkits to actually treat colonists
* save up certain kinds of food, like "better" meals while ensuring that the basic meals get used up before switching.

Another thing I would add is the ability to assign faster moving colonists to make long-range runs for hauling materials, or to tell my miner that when he's done mining, don't go back to base without bringing as much ore as he can carry, dangit! So many trips wasted because of this lack.

Quote from: Lochar on December 28, 2014, 02:58:26 PM
Friendly fire/Shooting skill

It seems that one of the biggest issues for most people is this one. Perhaps some method of setting range should be implemented, like "always get within 25%/50%/75% of max weapon range before attacking when hunting" and "always make sure there is 5/10/15 degrees of leeway between your target and another colonist". Also higher skill should reduce the incidence of friendly fire, while actually increasing the chance of hitting the target (nobody with shooting skill 10+ should need 20 shots to kill a squiirel, even at max range. Heck, I can kill a squirrel in one shot at 30m (100 feet) with a .22 rifle and I am not particularly good).

Edit: Also, once a target is down, the hunter should move closer to finish it off. It is truly mind-bending to watch these idiots fire 20+ shots at a downed squirrel at maximum range, while their hunger and tiredness grow higher and higher until they are about to have a mental break. Heck I am about to have a mental break when they do that.

Quote from: keylocke on December 28, 2014, 03:41:32 PM
-inadequate self-preservation system : (suggested fix) eat first before sleep -> take care of self first before others -> take care of fellow colonist first before prisoners -> take care of prisoners -> if low morale but not hungry or sleepy and no one to take care of, go to area with highest beauty value

I don't know how the current AI works, but I would implement an influence/proximity based system. For example, being a little hungry and close to food, a colonist might eat first. being farther away would require a greater degree of hunger to make them head to the chow line. Wanting to head home for dinner and being right next to a pile of metal (for instance, because they just mined it) would direct them to grab a full load and haul it in before pigging out.

Quote from: keylocke on December 28, 2014, 03:41:32 PM
-accidentally destroying apparel : cremate/butcher should auto remove equipped items of a corpse in front of craft station.

I would add to this a surgical/cremation prep table that if present will allow removal of bionic parts without destroying them so that they can be reused, assuming the colonist doing the preparation has a certain minimal medical or other appropriate skill (with different skill levels required for more complex bionic parts).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crop blights - if you have two different growing areas on complete opposite ends of your base, crop blights should only affect one 95% of the time, though I would leave a 5% chance that some careless colonist managed to cross-contaminate them (perhaps higher chance on higher difficulty levels).

Solar flares powerful enough to completely disable all electrtonics are way too common on these rim worlds. Have you ever once in your life had anything disabled by a solar flare? I am 47 and despite many blackouts I have experienced, I have never had anything disabled by a solar flare.

Lack of a note log.

No ability to capture, domesticate and raise livestock, putting an artificial limit on your ability to produce better food.

I think a lot of fans would agree with me (actually I know, from reading these very forums) that the current "theme" of no aliens of any sort (though there are certainly alien plants and a few animals) places some arbitrary limits on the game that we'd be happier didn't exist. I personally like the Star Frontiers theme, where there are a few playable races and a few non-playable races, but even if only humans were playable, a little alien competition (or cooperation/trading) and maybe some odd creatures/animals would add to the game.

No ability to load a character up with two or three weapons:

Combat weapon: The weapon used to repel invading humans, ideally an assault weapon.

Hunting weapon: Single shot rifle or high damage melee weapon.

Holdout weapon: Pistol or alternate melee weapon for use when disarmed by enemies, or by the fact that when a colonist is "rescued" his or her weapon gets left behind...so this would be used until the main weapon could be retrieved from wherever it got left.

Grey_Mako

My latest gripe is to do with people that are on an alcohol binges starving to death.

I dunno about you, but when I'm cooked up on alcohol/other I have the hunger of 13 dogs, I certainly don't wander around passing up food, not eating it until I die of starvation!

I think binging people should, upon getting hungry, get the munchies and keep eating until they make themselves sick. Makes a lot more sense than showing great restraint and not eating anything!

UMK

Many of things you all mentioned are already solved with mods or should be like alien planets, fireextinguishers, hauling proritizers... And stop complaining about snipers&sieges, you have incindentary mortars for a reason. I'm trying to not turn it to 'Issue tracker' or suggestion thread, but there is my list (in increasing order, only ones which are not mentioned before):

• Idling guys wander around, walking into others bedrooms and causing 'Disturbed sleep'
  • Energy consumption and heating stuff
  • Ranged cooldown implementation. Pawn just stands without ability to do anything for X seconds
  • Embarking in areas with high temperature amplitude. Addressed with mod but is still painfully broken
  • Medics prefer feeding guy with 10 or more bleedings rather than treating. Not to mention that they will choose farthest meal possible
  • Colonists walling themselves inside
  • Visitors
  • Gear degradation. Even Outfitter and Mender can't help (I know it's a feature as well as visitors, but the way how it's done now it'd better to be not included at all)

And on top of this pile
  • RNG and unfair storytellers. Mind two 30+ mechaniods raids in row? No slavers when you have a way to much slaves to sell? Flare, assault and psychodrone all together? Detaching brain during foot reattachment?