[WIP] Medieval faction

Started by Grizzlyadamz, January 11, 2015, 08:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyadamz

Just trying to throw together a quick medieval faction, figured I'd make a thread to make sure no one else is doing the same. (awkward)

Groups will consist of peasant conscripts, archers, a few knights, and rarely a lord.

Perhaps I'll figure out how to make a siege engine or two, but that's after getting everything else working.

Here's what I've got so far:

How's it look? Rough on the edges? Should I try to get it more isometric-looking? Is the design all wrong?

Grizzlyadamz

Thanks to some stellar help, I've just wrapped up the armor sprites for the other body types.

So, here's what I'm thinking:

Jesters armed with molotov cocktails/a weaker pitch equivalent/scavenged frag grenades.
Peasants with pitchforks/scythes/crappy swords
Trained peasants with spears/bardiches/swords/bows/crossbows
Knights with swords/claymores
Nobles with the same, perhaps gilded versions, perhaps some scavenged tech

I'll see about making an animated trebuchet that'll launch incendiary loads.

Perhaps throw in a long-bow that can fire over walls?

CB elite

Quote from: Grizzlyadamz on January 11, 2015, 03:14:43 PM
So, here's what I'm thinking:

Jesters armed with molotov cocktails/a weaker pitch equivalent/scavenged frag grenades.
Peasants with pitchforks/scythes/crappy swords
Trained peasants with spears/bardiches/swords/bows/crossbows
Knights with swords/claymores
Nobles with the same, perhaps gilded versions, perhaps some scavenged tech

I'll see about making an animated trebuchet that'll launch incendiary loads.

Perhaps throw in a long-bow that can fire over walls?

When I think jesters, I think of daggers, but fire fits just as well :D
Peasants: I like it!
Trained Peasants: Maybe name change --> Mercanaries; everything else is great :D
Knights: + Shields if possible?
Nobles: Fancy armor for fancy peoples (jewels and what-not?) :)

Grizzlyadamz

Good idea with the mercenaries. IIRC, apparently that was kinda the deal too- lots of fighting men were mercenaries.
I'd wager that was after the plague though, when labor was at a premium & the peasants were more valuable in the fields.

Heh, I'd add jewels but I don't think the game'd render it well; it's not so good with fine details.
Instead I'm thinking gold filigree & a few extra doodads. Maybe make it fluted, (if it's feasible with the detail that's allowed).

mipen

Sounds great! :) would definitely install this when you release it

Grizzlyadamz

Thanks mipen! :)

Here's the full armor set, aside from making the helmet's shadowed side brighter (& slightly adjusting the thin armor's position) it's pretty much finished.

Based the helmet off of this: http://www.wassonartistry.com/images/armor/slottedburg/IMG_3868.jpg

Next up I think I'll try to get the faction working.

-Faction's spawning correctly. I think I'll need to duplicate all the weapons- vanilla weaps don't seem to have specific tags, can't keep the knights away from spears.
I also think I'll reduce the armor colors to 1. Or make them very, very similar.

CB elite

Quote from: Grizzlyadamz on January 12, 2015, 07:15:29 AM
-Faction's spawning correctly. I think I'll need to duplicate all the weapons- vanilla weaps don't seem to have specific tags, can't keep the knights away from spears.
I also think I'll reduce the armor colors to 1. Or make them very, very similar.

1. You could make the weapons to your own standard (or your faction's standard compared to vanilla). Name could be different from vanilla to prevent confusion :)

For example: Sword of (Faction's Name)

I don't know, just a suggestion.

2. You could use the different colored armors as different tiers of said armor. They all just need their own defs.

Color could indicate rank, while offering diversity to the game :)

Grizzlyadamz

Ha, was wanting to pare down the colors to ensure they get matching sets. To accomplish that & also keep the extra colors, I'd have to duplicate both the knight pawn & the armor set a couple times, then give the duplicates different tags.
However, I am looking to add a fancier fluted version to help diversity a bit, (and let you bling up your knights), & the variable color was just an experimental hold-over from the power armor base I started with.
Power armor's some fancy matte composite & as such could easily hold a color. Steel on the other hand...you could paint it like in the screenies, but it's rather impractical- battle would see it flaking off with each hit.
I could probably throw out a secondary file with the painted armors if ya want- changing it would take all of 2 minutes.

As for weapons, yah, don't want to clutter people's weapon racks & such, & it seems wasteful to bypass the vanilla weaponry that was made for this kinda faction.
Argh, perhaps an 'authentic' version..or crummy arming swords.. Blah I just want to use the default longsword...

But you bring up another question:
FACTION NAME!
So far I've just been calling them medievals or medievalings. Have any more creative names?

Grizzlyadamz

Here's a friendly siege group that just showed up.

Jesters are equipped with their new weapons: blastpots & pitchpots.
Peasants are still wielding neolithic tools.
Mercenaries don't have weapons yet. Might have to name them 'Mercenarios' or something
Plus 1 lord & two knight bodyguards.

Name generator's working ok, (though I'm getting pawns with custom names & backstories mixed in...)
I'm tweaking the spawn rates to set up mercenaries as the brunt of the fighting force, but when peasants show up they show up in large numbers.
Also slowly introducing new weapons & equipment.
Remind me to switch off other mods for future screenshots.

Big shoutout to Shinzy for letting me use his basic shirt textures!

Berengar

So there are vickings... normal knights.
Now we need bandits and all that fantasy stuff like orcs, trolls, dwarfes... and so on.

Shinzy

Quote from: Berengar on January 14, 2015, 01:12:28 PM
So there are vickings... normal knights.
Now we need bandits and all that fantasy stuff like orcs, trolls, dwarfes... and so on.

Didn't you already put orcs in game Berry? =P *poke*

Berengar

Jeah... there was something!
But i was never realy happy with them.. dont fit  in the game.
But when i got some time, maybe i create new ones...

Sugestion!
I will make some new orcs and goblins, and shinzy could make some bandit stuff. And volla.. we got an small fantasy/medieval overall. ;)

Grizzlyadamz

Heh, someone'd need to make elveses too.

Oh, no work on it today btw, orientations. Woo pre-semester homework!

Berengar

Arhh... not that elves!
But hey... new flesh for my colony! ;)

mipen

Quote from: Berengar on January 14, 2015, 08:35:53 PM
Arhh... not that elves!
But hey... new flesh for my colony! ;)
Elves don't count as humans, so it's not cannibalism! >:D