Write an event!

Started by Listy, January 29, 2015, 10:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romi

It would be cool if like:  "A conflict has begun between (Faction example tribal) with (Faction example pirates) (The factions must hate eachother)"
"Choose which to help or remain neutral"
Note: "The other faction relation may decrease if you choose to help the other"

This whole thing should happen close to your colony base , not too close tough.

Good idea?

isistoy

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 26, 2015, 12:52:24 PM
Quote from: Kegereneku on July 26, 2015, 10:07:24 AM
The migration idea just feel like "even more meat" to me, that's ok for Ice-sheet and post-Fallout but most biomes don't need it much.
...A dangerous stampede however... I wonder if it can be coded.

I've been thinking about it. Yes, cargo pods may as well be called meat pods. So maybe once this event is introduced, meat pods can come less often ? There will mostly be pods for things that aren't edible.

Stampede might be simulated by "animal(s) went mad" event happening during the migration event. Or maybe Evil Ship activates while there's a migration ?

Wargs should primarily go after loose meat and corpses. Events like that would reduce the amount of freely available meat.

Yes, Animal Migration would be a great idea!
I just had a light coding xp of how to get a specific ThinkTree in place and spawning custom pawns (Project K9). These babies were able to eat meat, or a corpse (and generate byproducts) or even attack other pawns on the map.
They were planned to be generated as wild animals but I suppose having them come out during a specific event instead is doable...
I still dunno if the specific Thinktree would be needed here though...
Balance was a concern we did not have the time to go through and project is alted right now (A12 will change a lot of things for animal taming)...

We might be closer than ever from seeing Tynan create such an event, based on his own set of upcoming vanilla features ;)
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

b0rsuk

Door is stuck
As colonist tries to open the door, it jams! It won't open until bashed down to 1/2 max health. It would be a minor bad event that creates a temporary traffic jam at best and potentially serious trouble if it happens during an emergency. It would also reward players for forward thinking and building alternate routes.
While minor, I could easily see this event being frustrating, so it shouldn't happen often. I suggest not more often than once per 20 days.
A more evil version would be a door that was held open, but now is stuck OPENED! Must be bashed like above. I frequently use doors held open during raids, to take a few pot shots at an enemy and retreat. Or start a fire in the middle of advancing enemies and close the door. If the door was stuck open, enemies could follow me and my plans are ruined.

isistoy

Subtle, but could be a decisive game changer!
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

Shinzy

b0rsuk

Saboteur
A colonist from faction_name is visiting your colony. He is named Torgo.
Do you remember those ? Quite pointless events currently unless you like to kindap people. Imagine if such a colonist had a chance to actually be a saboteur. Once inside your colony, it tries to find an important power conduit or a power source and deconstructs it. If it's equipped with emp grenades, it throws it at powered structures. The saboteur tries to choose a spot not in sight of turrets and armed colonists.
Once he does some damage, a raid follows. The raiding force is not as big as usual.

Wanted
This event might happen if you have a prisoner. A ship from a glitterworld lands and proclaims a prisoner of yours a convicted criminal. Maybe they're law enforcement, or maybe bounty hunters. They demand that you release him. If you don't do that within a few hours, they attack. And they are well equipped.
You might also claim you haven't seen him. Then they arrive for inspection. if the sought prisoner is in a cryosleep casket, they don't find him and go away hurling insults.

Mystery disease
Late game event.
One of your colonists becomes ill, with a randomized and gradually increasing effect. Simply treating the patient only slows it down a bit. Slowly, he becomes more and more ill.
You need to perform an operation on him and take a blood sample. Then you research this sample using a bill on research table, or a new research topic pops up. Finally, you find a cure and heal the colonist.
Alternatively, if you don't have a good researcher, maybe you can put the patient in a cryosleep casket.
Glitterworld medicine is more effective, and if you can treat the patient several times with it, the disease goes away and you're none the wiser. The disease might return, on this or another pawn.

Kegereneku

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 26, 2015, 12:52:24 PM
Stampede might be simulated by "animal(s) went mad" event happening during the migration event. Or maybe Evil Ship activates while there's a migration ?

Wargs should primarily go after loose meat and corpses. Events like that would reduce the amount of freely available meat.

Nah, Stampede event must be a correct stampede to be interesting : Herd of animal -on their way out- trampling things on their way.
Else they would simply rush your turret and be no different from like 90% of events and simply worsen the Meat-Delivery problems.

Equivalently for Warg, a more efficient solution would simply be for them to lurk around the whole map in wide (but FAST) pack. That way you Hardly get to kill them with turrets and harvest tons of meat as :
- You would have to get out to hunt them or bait them close.
- Warg are faster than colonist so you'll never reach the base soon enough
- The few that get at turret range wouldn't trigger a meat delivery party.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

b0rsuk

So wargs would have to have their numbers reduced. They're currently murderous if they catch you i n the open. Even if wargs don't eat downed colonists, they prevent others from rescuing them. A downed colonist is as good as dead if others have no way of rescuing him.

So why would anyone send colonists far away from colony to kill wargs if any pawns that fall are effectively dead ?

JesterBlue

Here 're some nice events for you to chew on:

- Some drifter squat in your farm, they ate your corn... Wtf!?
- The wargs dug up your graves... Poor Betsy!
- Your gunturret malfunction! Shut it down before it kill people.
- Your guest steal your shotgun. Arrest him?
- Some Looter have entered the map, keep your eyes on them.
- The looters are deconstructing your wind turbine!
- Steve is in a fell mood and lock himself in his room.
- Steve slain his friend UricMctribute with a wood log and create a mastercrafted wooden knife named "BFFFEVAR"
- A hungry thief sneak into your base and steal your lunch.
- The large number of corpses attract some scavenger to your base, they will loot the dead and take what's on them, better get to it first.
- The large number of corpses attract some wargs to your base, stay inside, they'll leave when they're done.
- The large number of corpses attract an old man to your base, he want to raise the dead but don't actually know how. Ignore him and he'll go away.
- Some tribeman herd their muffalos across your land.
- Some buffoon take up squirrel hunting near your base. They are armed with rocket launcher.
- You detected a cluster of debris. Unfortunately, some pirates detect these also. It's a race!
- Steve Job just walk across the entire continent to have lunch on your door steps.
- The Nutrient paste dispenser is malfunction. It's paste taste even worse.
- The Nutrient paste dispenser is malfunction. It's paste actually taste like food.
- Monkeys scatter your goods arounds.

Kegereneku

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 29, 2015, 04:21:27 PM
So why would anyone send colonists far away from colony to kill wargs if any pawns that fall are effectively dead ?

Yes I would foresee a reduction in number with that idea. As for the reasons to risk yourself away :
- Keeping Warg from killing all animal.
- Capturing puppy.
- Hunting the Warg for their meat/fur.
- Luring them closer to turret.
- Rescuing visitor.
...top of my head.

Also, nothing say you can't make Warg less predictable.
- A Pack is dangerous, but wolves do wander alone from time to time, and if the Pack is wide enough, a Sniper/Survival rifle could be enough to kill one.
-------
Write an Event

Vas

"A hostile group of strip miners has just arrived in the region, they are going towards the nearest mountain and are going to strip the region until they get the amount of resources they came for."

A raid where they only attack anyone who gets close, and the enemy mines until they get a certain amount of resources and carry them off the edge of the map so you can't use them.  Automatically forbid any resources dropped by hostile miners.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Cherna

Danger from the underground

Something coming up through steam geyser. That might be some megascarabs or new insects, they would destroy geothermal generator that would be in their way and be hostile to colonists and any other living things.

b0rsuk

Cease&Desist Letter
An evil corporation sends you a cease&desist letter. They want you to change your domain colony name, because it infringes on their trademark. To make it more convincing, the corporation name would be similar to your colony name, e.g. Crashville -> Crashville Corporation, Ellis -> Ellis Incorporated, and so on.

If you comply, they leave you alone, but for a few months you see less trade ships and less visitors. That's because people are confused and you lose contacts.

If you don't, they start raiding you. First they send several lawyers in suits, with pistols. Then they start sending Interns, Workers, even Executives (with sniper rifles, naturally). They would have decent equipment, but nothing spectacular. All of the same quality, for example poor, normal, because they order it in bulk. All with very similar skill sets and little weapon variation. They hire cogs that are easy to replace.

Why would a huge corporation care about a dirty colony on a distant rimworld ? They wouldn't... as long as it's small. But if your colony is big and wealthy, THEN they message you. What I'm saying this event would be for big colonies only.

I've been thinking about just proposing Evil Corporation as a faction type, but I fear it wouldn't be distinct enough from outlander village and pirates. It would be hard to distinguish in practice.

Kegereneku

As per Emperor-God Tynan implicit order, I am rising this topic from the well of oblivion. Seriously this topic is worth sticking.

Quote from: Tynan on February 22, 2015, 04:32:15 AM
This thread is a gold mine! Many thanks to you all.

If anyone has other thoughts, I am all ears.
-------
Write an Event

mumblemumble

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 28, 2015, 12:50:03 PM
Door is stuck
Has a warning before when a colonist does a freestyle rap, and another colonist behind them is constantly jabbing them with a knife.

SUICIDE BOMBER RAIDER Exclusive to the pirate faction raider, this pawn charges at a colonist / construct with a charge strapped to their gut, and blow up in melee range, making them high priority targets. only used by pirates, because those guys are crazy. Maybe have the ones using it drugged up a bit as well to give them a higher pain tolerance / making it more understandable the suicidal tenancy. Can still be downed by pain, but a bit harder, and you are much better off shooting them to death.

DRUNKEN FLING
2 colonists, while drunk, get it on... Essentially raises attractiveness up substantially while drunk, so colonists who otherwise wouldn't be interested, but might hook up while drunk, and regret it the next day... or not =D Actually, could just raise the lower the rate of "social filtration" on them in general, more likely to flirt, agree to sex, or insult. And waking up from sex they aren't happy would provide a "walk of shame" mood penalty, as well as a relationship hit to whoever got in their pants.

FOOD FIGHT
Much like a social fight, but funner, and messier. Happens at dining halls, or anywhere where eating happens. Food is thrown around for no damage, wasting the food, and also giving a mood buff for the laughs had. Makes a real mess though, each shot making filth on the ground, and regular fights will be a drain on resource. naturally lowers tension a bit though, and  even can make friends.

SHOUTING MATCH
Possibly added as a bit BEFORE a social fight, 2 pawns will start yelling at each other back and forth, spewing insults at each other and anyone else who tries to intervene. Gives a small mood boost for "getting how they felt off their chest", but carries a risk to devolve into a social fight. Can arrest them before it gets worse

BEAVERS WITH A CRAVING FOR CUT WOOD
alpha beavers that come by as normal, but specifically want to eat CUT wood...this includes walls, doors, logs, wood weapons, wood furniture, wood prosthetics (I wish) And anything else made of cut would. Pretty much like a group of termites, and much more dangerous than normal beavers.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.