[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avtomatik

Avtomatik

I'd be nice to include turrets from 'more vanilla turrets' mod to diversify the options, if its not too much work

PilotBhav04

combatrealism.dll keeps getting picked up by norton antivirus as a risk. Anyway to prevent this?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: PilotBhav04 on February 23, 2015, 11:34:10 AM
combatrealism.dll keeps getting picked up by norton antivirus as a risk. Anyway to prevent this?

Can't really help you with that as I don't use Norton. You could try to add it as an exception, although I don't know if other Norton users have the same problem. Might want to run a virus check just in case.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

jabbamonkey

I just created a mod that re-textures the slag and stone chunks ... and noticed that it conflicts with your mod. It's not a major conflict, since it doesn't crash the game, but it is something worth noting (in case anyone asks).

Steel Rock Slag Mod

I noticed that your mod edits the Various_Stones.xml ... as does my re-texture - hence the conflict. If your mod is loaded first, then everything is fine. If your mod is loaded after the Steel Rock Slag mod, then the new retextures don't show.

You might want to make a note of it in your instructions (in case people are trying to run both). Thanks!

rakkaus

All in all this mod is a better experience then vanilla, but i recommend more researching and effort. A pistol having shorter range then a shotgun is absurd if we are talking about realism. A five-seven, for example, can penetrate kevlar 300 hundred meters away.

Really hope to see this grow to the point everything is a perfect reflection of reality, would be very interesting. But, if you decide to rebalance the whole project armory you can't be lazy (your own words) to the point of not researching how is a generic pistol compared to a generic shotgun.

In a side-note, taking the five-seven as example again, it has a range of 1500m but only 50m of effective range. That means it loses accuracy over distance, but it can still shot very far. You would have to keep in mind that giving a pistol a very far range/very low medium-long range accuracy would not create a good experience in Rimworld (AI would shot pistols from very far as if they were as efficient as a sniper.) Soo that kind of things has to be kept in mind... Not everything can be rough realism in a game like this or the final experience will be flawed; some adaptions are necessary.

Good luck.

Famous Shoes

This is a fantastic improvement over vanilla; makes it a different game, a better game. Thank you.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: rakkaus on February 24, 2015, 08:26:23 AM
All in all this mod is a better experience then vanilla, but i recommend more researching and effort. A pistol having shorter range then a shotgun is absurd if we are talking about realism. A five-seven, for example, can penetrate kevlar 300 hundred meters away.

Really hope to see this grow to the point everything is a perfect reflection of reality, would be very interesting. But, if you decide to rebalance the whole project armory you can't be lazy (your own words) to the point of not researching how is a generic pistol compared to a generic shotgun.

In a side-note, taking the five-seven as example again, it has a range of 1500m but only 50m of effective range. That means it loses accuracy over distance, but it can still shot very far. You would have to keep in mind that giving a pistol a very far range/very low medium-long range accuracy would not create a good experience in Rimworld (AI would shot pistols from very far as if they were as efficient as a sniper.) Soo that kind of things has to be kept in mind... Not everything can be rough realism in a game like this or the final experience will be flawed; some adaptions are necessary.

Good luck.

Ingame range is based on effective range, i.e. the range a skilled shooter can reliably hit a man-sized target, rather than the distance the bullet can fly. Otherwise the AI would just plink away at each other with pistols from half the map away as you said yourself. Not to mention that chance to hit can't fall below 2%, meaning you would actually have a realistic chance of hitting a guy at that distance with your pistol. Hence the range of pistols as non-adjustable sights and high bullet drop prevent you from accurately hitting targets at large distances.

On a related note I have uploaded the spreadsheets from which I created the mod to Google Docs. They contain all the ingame stats as well as the real world stats from which they were calculated. Should you find some inaccuracies with a weapon you can comment on the specific value there and I'll have a look at it. Just keep in mind that the market values for the PA weapons were for the previous version and will be adjusted for A9 once PA is updated.

Jonesh

A compatability patch for Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering would be awesome, I've such a soft spot for outfitting my pawns with bionics... :P

Kruniac

Something is a little funny here. I absolutely love the mod (I'm removing limbs with the M2 and getting off on it.), however it seems that the walls aren't really responding the way they should.

Ideally, a steel wall isn't going to be blown through by a weapon. Instead, mech miniguns and my M2 obliterate a wall section with 1 or 2 bullets.

I find it odd because the wall segment you can shoot through survived several bullets from a mechanoid, whereas the default steel wall sections to the left and right crumbled immediately.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Kruniac on February 26, 2015, 02:30:12 AM
Something is a little funny here. I absolutely love the mod (I'm removing limbs with the M2 and getting off on it.), however it seems that the walls aren't really responding the way they should.

Ideally, a steel wall isn't going to be blown through by a weapon. Instead, mech miniguns and my M2 obliterate a wall section with 1 or 2 bullets.

I find it odd because the wall segment you can shoot through survived several bullets from a mechanoid, whereas the default steel wall sections to the left and right crumbled immediately.

Sounds like a conflicting mod is overriding the walls. Normally walls and rock formations should have the same resistance to bullets that the embrasures have.

HattoriHanzo

Love your mod!

Used it in A8 without any problems, but now i have a strange issue:

The M2 Browning is buildable but when i`'s done, i cant't use it. And the despcription of the built item is some programming string.

I also use "more vanilla turrets", could that be an issue?

Kruniac

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on February 26, 2015, 03:58:36 AM
Quote from: Kruniac on February 26, 2015, 02:30:12 AM

Sounds like a conflicting mod is overriding the walls. Normally walls and rock formations should have the same resistance to bullets that the embrasures have.

Combat Realism
Combat Realism Defence
Core
EDBPrepareCarefully (Disabled)
Hobo Stove
Icons
MediXP
Organ Engineering
Slavers
Target Practice
VeinMiner

Any ideas? From what little I know about the XML structure, nothing looks like it's overwriting the buildings file with the definitions in it. Is there some kind of load order thing I'm missing?