Stop hauling Lavish meal to prisoners !

Started by NemesisN, October 17, 2017, 08:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wishmaster

Quote from: Havan_IronOak on October 26, 2017, 11:06:02 AM
This one bothers me too. I wish that there were a level selection as there is is with medicine type.

I don't understand why people want this.
Let's say you don't have simple meals but only fine meals instead and you are limited to simple meals.
Perhaps you want to possibility to create a list of allowed foods instead.

fatm3l

They give them best food so they can recruit them easily. ;D

Daniell

Exactly this. Why else would you be feeding prisoners, anyway, if not to recruit them or else get them well enough to walk before you release them? Any other end to a prisoner's existence as a prisoner requires no feeding whatsoever.

Well, except for the "unskilled doctor's test dummy" ending. And if you're going to spam surgery on a prisoner, I think the poor bastard deserves decent food...
Yes, I'm weird. No, you don't get to complain about it.

corestandeven

In answer to "Why else would you be feeding prisoners" are you assuming that players always want to recruit prisoners? I often sell prisoners who offer traits the colony doesnt need or have a 99% difficulty in recruiting, as the silver and slight negative mood buff to the colony outweighs keeping the prisoners. So why would I be wasting lavish meals on prisoners I intend to sell? Players may also be even more evil and use prisoners as live organ/limb donors when colonists get injured, so again why waste the best meals on them? Finally, when you release prisoners my understanding is players get the same positive factions relation bonus regardless of if the released prisoner has been well fed or given raw food, the bonus seems to only be affected if the released pawn is healthy or unhealthy. So again why would I be wasting my best food on prisoners who offer the same factions relations bonus regardless of how I fed them?

It is just so illogical for pawns to (by default) give best food to prisoners over colonists. The only reason to feed prisoners the best food is indeed if you want to charm and recruit them. Even then in my experience it seems to make little difference to the odds of recruiting prisoners if you do treat them well (e.g. with awesome rooms, great food, loads of art, etc) or if you treat them like worthless scum (e.g. no beds, small room, bad food, ugly environment, etc). If there is an increase in the recruitment probability by feeding them well it doesnt seem large enough bonus. [Note: I'm talking about my experience with A17 here, so not sure if any of this has been or will be addressed by A18.]

Players should have the option, like with medicine, to determine the maximum quality of food. That way if players do want to charm a particular prisoner they can turn this up, and if players do not want to recruit then equally they can turn the quality down.

Yoshida Keiji

Completely agree. If prisoner treatment would make any difference, then we should be visually able to notice this by recruitment chance alterations based on mood. The better I treat the prisoner, the lower his percentage decreases and the worst I treat him, the higher difficulty to recruit if intended so.

Canute

And do you think this isn't the case ?
Try to feed them with human meat, or simple meals made out of human meat. Harvest some organs.
And don't forget to put him into a 2x1 cell, with just an sleeping spot.

And then watch his mood and try to recruit him.
Just to compare give him fine meals, a pleasant 5x5 cell with superior bed,table,chairs.

Daniell

Badly-treated prisoners love to go berserk and/or try to escape, and then you end up killing them before you can recruit them.
Yes, I'm weird. No, you don't get to complain about it.

corestandeven

Quote from: Canute on October 28, 2017, 12:58:10 PM
And do you think this isn't the case ?
Try to feed them with human meat, or simple meals made out of human meat. Harvest some organs.
And don't forget to put him into a 2x1 cell, with just an sleeping spot.

And then watch his mood and try to recruit him.
Just to compare give him fine meals, a pleasant 5x5 cell with superior bed,table,chairs.

I would like to know how much of an increase to chances treating prisoners well brings, as my experience (A17) is it makes little difference. If i have a 99% difficulty prisoner, my best social pawn as warden (level 15 on the A17 game I'm playing) in a decent room with high quality beds/tables,etc, in a well lit room, with fine meals being given, the percentage chance for recruitment seems to be always lower than 5%. It seems the level of social skill of pawns seems to be a higher factor, as my second warden who has a social skill level of 5 has a 0.5% chance of recruitment on the same prisoner in the same enviroment. So with that in mind it seems to me that currently spending lavishly on prisoners, including giving them the best meal, has little effect. I agree completely that treating them well should seriously increase the odds, so maybe this needs to be tweaked in a future amendment.

Quote from: Daniell on October 28, 2017, 01:03:50 PM
Badly-treated prisoners love to go berserk and/or try to escape, and then you end up killing them before you can recruit them.
True, but again this is assuming the player wants to recruit them and cares about their health. Sounding cold, if I am keeping a prisoner as I intend to sell him/her the next time a slaver comes around, then I don't overly care about their wellbeing - certainly not over the wellbeing of my own colonists. If I have the choice of my colonists being sad and slipping into mental breaks and being unproductive, or prisoners, it is a no-brainer - the best resources should go to colonists.

As I say the simplest solution to please players who want to treat prisoners well in order to recruit, and those whose playstyle is to prioritise colonists wellbeing over prisoners, is a system akin to medicine.  That should please all sides.

ShadowTani

Quote from: corestandeven on October 28, 2017, 11:37:12 AM
In answer to "Why else would you be feeding prisoners" are you assuming that players always want to recruit prisoners? I often sell prisoners who offer traits the colony doesnt need or have a 99% difficulty in recruiting, as the silver and slight negative mood buff to the colony outweighs keeping the prisoners. So why would I be wasting lavish meals on prisoners I intend to sell? Players may also be even more evil and use prisoners as live organ/limb donors when colonists get injured, so again why waste the best meals on them?
Why waste meals on those at all? ;3 Prisoners I intend to sell or use for organs I give anesthetics and put in cryptosleep caskets. The cryptosleep sickness goes over pretty quickly, so if I take the pawns to be sold out of the caskets shortly after a slaver enters orbit I got enough time to wait for them to recover before selling them.

corestandeven

Quote from: ShadowTani on October 30, 2017, 07:40:14 PM
Quote from: corestandeven on October 28, 2017, 11:37:12 AM
In answer to "Why else would you be feeding prisoners" are you assuming that players always want to recruit prisoners? I often sell prisoners who offer traits the colony doesnt need or have a 99% difficulty in recruiting, as the silver and slight negative mood buff to the colony outweighs keeping the prisoners. So why would I be wasting lavish meals on prisoners I intend to sell? Players may also be even more evil and use prisoners as live organ/limb donors when colonists get injured, so again why waste the best meals on them?
Why waste meals on those at all? ;3 Prisoners I intend to sell or use for organs I give anesthetics and put in cryptosleep caskets. The cryptosleep sickness goes over pretty quickly, so if I take the pawns to be sold out of the caskets shortly after a slaver enters orbit I got enough time to wait for them to recover before selling them.

Hadn't thought of that tactic. If i have a spare cyropod I might do that, especially if food rations are low.

The Nickman

I don't understand this thread at all.  If you're trying to recruit a prisoner, you want them to have the best food and be as comfortable as possible so they recruit faster.  If you don't want to recruit them, and are just harvesting their organs or selling them or whatever, then uncheck "gets food" and build them a nutrient paste dispenser, as has been suggested over and over in this thread.

Otherwise, what's the problem??

Vlad0mi3r

Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Limdood

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on November 03, 2017, 10:53:22 AM
Nutrient paste dispenser. That is all.
doesn't fix the problem if the prisoner is unconscious due to pain or surgery, at which point best meals are hauled.

Canute

Like The Nickman mention before
uncheck "gets food" !
The prisoner won't die that fast. He will wake up long before he would die from malnutration.
Except he is incap. and never would leave the bed.

NemesisN

Quote from: Limdood on November 03, 2017, 03:10:41 PM
Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on November 03, 2017, 10:53:22 AM
Nutrient paste dispenser. That is all.
doesn't fix the problem if the prisoner is unconscious due to pain or surgery, at which point best meals are hauled.

also I need them all to have shared room = fights and more chance of prison break

I rather have them in individual cells
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/