[1.0/1.1/1.2] Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering 2.42 (27.08.2020)

Started by Ykara, February 19, 2015, 05:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like the changes in Version 2.0?

Yes
459 (83.3%)
Not all of them
72 (13.1%)
Not at all (please explain why!)
20 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 551

Ykara

Quote from: matty491 on August 30, 2016, 08:36:44 AM
I wish it could be removed because using Prepare Carefully I now can't install any bionics straight off the bat :/

In fact I dislike this new edition so much that I'm gonna role back to A14 mod even if it gives me errors!
I'm sorry to hear that. What exactly do you hate about this feature? Is it just that it now takes a few days before the prostheses work at their full capacity?
I think I'll do a modular solution for that feature, as there seems to be a diversity of opinions about the new systems.

Aatxe360

Have any options for working with Fluffy's The Birds And The Bees mod?  Or just with core body parts?

matty491

Quote from: Ykara on August 30, 2016, 11:28:51 AM
Quote from: matty491 on August 30, 2016, 08:36:44 AM
I wish it could be removed because using Prepare Carefully I now can't install any bionics straight off the bat :/

In fact I dislike this new edition so much that I'm gonna role back to A14 mod even if it gives me errors!
I'm sorry to hear that. What exactly do you hate about this feature? Is it just that it now takes a few days before the prostheses work at their full capacity?
I think I'll do a modular solution for that feature, as there seems to be a diversity of opinions about the new systems.

Well how i normally play is I have one colonist, stark naked with maxed skills and maxed bionics (essentially a cyborg) I play on the highest difficulty on random with nothing to start with and I try to survive from there on out.

It's not that I dislike the feature, if anything it makes perfect sense in a realistic setting but because im going for a Deus Ex kinda vibe might I recommend either the modular choice or handle it the way Deus Ex Human Revoloutions (PC Game) handles it.

Essentially normal people have bionics (Augmentations) but they need to take a drug called Neuropozyne. The main character of the game has a gene which allows him to have these bionics without needing the drug.

I'm thinking there are three possible choices/options to handle this.

1. Make it modular so people who want to wait can wait.
2. Introduce a drug similar to the A15 malaria blocker that need's to be taken say every 5 days to prevent the rejection from occurring straight away or else the body will slowly roll back to as if the bionic was first installed and rejection needs to be built up naturally.
3. Introduce a new trait that means some pawns are automatically capable of having bionics without rejection.

Hope this feedback helps!

GrumpyProgrammer

You might want to think about using the new drug production system to allow making anti-rejection drugs.

Higher-tier prosthetics should have lessened or eliminated adjustment penalties/lengths. After all, the whole point in more advanced prosthetics is that they are as good or better than the real thing, so they should feel natural to the recipient.

Similarly, synthetic organs shouldn't have rejection issues. They are, after all, specifically designed organ replacements, so the engineering would've taken rejection and the reduction or elimination of it into account. Since natural organs are used in the production of synthetics, you could add anti-rejection drugs to the recipe ingredients.

You might also want to think about adding a research item for reducing the time needed for prosthetic adjustment. Call it 'physical therapy' or something. Even better if you could add some new item (physical therapy spot?) that would allow a prosthetic recipient to adjust more quickly.

jaked122

I kinda wish that you had put some sort of in-game text about the rejection and accustomization(is that the right word?) systems.

Remittent seems to be something like a near end of the rejection, but the definition of the word mostly pertains to the rejection occasionally relapsing, but not the severity of the rejection itself.

It might also be nice to have some idea of how long these symptoms last for, how long it takes for rejection to quiet down, how long it takes to become accustomed to a bionic (at least some approximate length of time related to it).

I suspect that it might also be good to have a different sort of accustomization based on the specialization of the bionic (like the power arm being more of a weapon than a straight up replacement/enhancement than say the plain bionic arm).

Other than that, this is great.

Smellis

Hi, I actually like the new system and having a few days to get used to bionics/transplants. However i am not liking how the rejection for transplants seems to keep coming back. Am I missing something? my pawn gets treatment, then the rejection returns a few days later and what with him being pretty much frankensteins monster right now he spends a lot of time in medical bed.

Do i have to just keep treating and it will eventually stop? or does it continue forever? because that would kinda suck.

SpaceDorf

that really sounds anoying and unfun :(

But the feature in itself sounds cool

Actually just posting to watch ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Shinkai

Quote from: Smellis on August 30, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
Hi, I actually like the new system and having a few days to get used to bionics/transplants. However i am not liking how the rejection for transplants seems to keep coming back. Am I missing something? my pawn gets treatment, then the rejection returns a few days later and what with him being pretty much frankensteins monster right now he spends a lot of time in medical bed.

Do i have to just keep treating and it will eventually stop? or does it continue forever? because that would kinda suck.

If its anything like RL rejection, than no. After all, even the most compatible organ receivers still need to take anti-rejection drugs.

Ykara

Quote from: Aatxe360 on August 30, 2016, 12:39:59 PM
Have any options for working with Fluffy's The Birds And The Bees mod?  Or just with core body parts?
I could do that.

Quote from: matty491 on August 30, 2016, 12:43:56 PM
Well how i normally play is I have one colonist, stark naked with maxed skills and maxed bionics (essentially a cyborg) I play on the highest difficulty on random with nothing to start with and I try to survive from there on out.

It's not that I dislike the feature, if anything it makes perfect sense in a realistic setting but because im going for a Deus Ex kinda vibe might I recommend either the modular choice or handle it the way Deus Ex Human Revoloutions (PC Game) handles it.

Essentially normal people have bionics (Augmentations) but they need to take a drug called Neuropozyne. The main character of the game has a gene which allows him to have these bionics without needing the drug.

I'm thinking there are three possible choices/options to handle this.

1. Make it modular so people who want to wait can wait.
2. Introduce a drug similar to the A15 malaria blocker that need's to be taken say every 5 days to prevent the rejection from occurring straight away or else the body will slowly roll back to as if the bionic was first installed and rejection needs to be built up naturally.
3. Introduce a new trait that means some pawns are automatically capable of having bionics without rejection.

Hope this feedback helps!
You have some good suggestions, but I think they will be too hard to implement. I'll just go with a modular release.

Quote from: Smellis on August 30, 2016, 05:24:06 PM

Everything eventually stops, except for natural organ rejection. In real life you also have to continue taking drugs after an organ transplant.

Ykara

Update 1.81 - Appeasement Patch
Good morning!
This is a quick and simple update: I just threw the graft rejection and the bionics accustoming systems out, since many people complained. They are now an optional mod, available here on Steam, and here on the forums.
Btw, I couldn't figure the problem with crafting medicine out. I couldn't find that recipe in the core files. Anyone here who could help me?
Have fun!

Changes:
*  Made the graft rejection and the bionics accustoming system optional, it's now available as a seperate mod

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Ykara on August 30, 2016, 08:15:31 PM
Btw, I couldn't figure the problem with crafting medicine out. I couldn't find that recipe in the core files. Anyone here who could help me?

Can it come from the new definition of those items in /Core/Defs/ThingDefs_Items/Items_Resource_Manufactured.xml
The costlist tag is in the object def now

Dingo

If I had to guess I'd say in Items_WorkaroundStuff.xml you reference Medicine and you lack the components for it.

Edited: I've actually fixed it by adding the recipe there, attached my fixed Items_WorkaroundStuff.xml (nothing else changed but medicine).

Edited again..: Can you maybe explain why you use this file at all? Does the mod create errors if you reference items straight from their original file? This XML has different values for some items that I suspect are from previous alphas and may not reflect the current game balance. For example, Healroot market value and deterioration rate are different than its current A15 values.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

hoochy

Have to agree that having "Rejection" of bionic parts and "Getting used to them" doesn't really make much sense. You would suspect if they had the technology to make synthetic parts, or robotic limbs, that those problems are also "Taken care of". Perhaps it could apply to the simple prosthetic legs and such.

I also don't like the change that was made so you can no longer harvest prisoner limbs for your own colonists. I understand the game is "bugged" in that regard as you can repair limbs that way but the chance of death/damage still exists in doing any transplant. Maybe rejection of "Real limbs" and "Simple prosthetics" could be added so that you can bring back the real limbs again.

LivingNexus

Quote from: Ykara on August 30, 2016, 06:41:03 PM
Everything eventually stops, except for natural organ rejection. In real life you also have to continue taking drugs after an organ transplant.

You could make a new surgery, called "Cure rejection ([Organ])" that requires Glitterworld medicine.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Ykara on August 30, 2016, 08:15:31 PM
Update 1.81 - Appeasement Patch
Good morning!

Changes:
*  Made the graft rejection and the bionics accustoming system optional, it's now available as a seperate mod

Hi Ykara,
sadly you forgot the Non-Steam Link to the Realistic Medical System on your EPOE Main Page.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.