[A14d] Wave Survival Mode (v. 1.0 - July 27)

Started by Justin C, February 27, 2015, 02:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin C

Quote from: Ninefinger on June 23, 2015, 06:05:43 PM
Quote from: Justin C on June 23, 2015, 06:03:31 PM
Quote from: Sheyka on June 23, 2015, 02:43:24 PM
it would be veeeery nice if the person who play the game can adjust the days between the waves :D
If there's an easy way to do that, I haven't found it. :P

Would it be possible to make is so i can adjust the days before the first wave starts?
I just got both working so the next release will have the ability to adjust things to your liking.

I'm about to add sieges, sappers, wargs and probably animal psychic waves into the mix, along with the simultaneous raids. I don't expect any of this to take all that long, so I should have the next release up later today.

Sheyka

Quote from: Justin C on June 24, 2015, 04:05:59 AM
Quote from: Ninefinger on June 23, 2015, 06:05:43 PM
Quote from: Justin C on June 23, 2015, 06:03:31 PM
Quote from: Sheyka on June 23, 2015, 02:43:24 PM
it would be veeeery nice if the person who play the game can adjust the days between the waves :D
If there's an easy way to do that, I haven't found it. :P

Would it be possible to make is so i can adjust the days before the first wave starts?
I just got both working so the next release will have the ability to adjust things to your liking.

I'm about to add sieges, sappers, wargs and probably animal psychic waves into the mix, along with the simultaneous raids. I don't expect any of this to take all that long, so I should have the next release up later today.

cant wait :D
Sorry for bad english <3

Justin C

New version up on NexusMods.

- Every 4 waves there will now be a special wave, which can include sappers, siegers, wargs or animal psychic waves.
- On occasion instead of a single big raid happening, two smaller ones will happen simultanously.
- Moved a bunch of variables to the XML in WaveMapConditionDefs so the mod can be tweaked.

paragonid

Wow, cool, great mode, great update, thank you.

I'll take a look into XML a little later, though I think next questions are still out of those settings:

1. How is it hard to change which factions will be present in the world? I'd prefer to have less pre-space factions, they are relatively boring.
2. Is it possible to tweak the amount of space trader events? I usually have a lot of stuff around wave 10, still no traders appeared. And I really need them around that time, as a question of life and death (:

Sheyka

thank you very much justin. i love this update verry much :))
Sorry for bad english <3

Justin C

Quote from: paragonid on June 26, 2015, 07:39:55 AM
Wow, cool, great mode, great update, thank you.

I'll take a look into XML a little later, though I think next questions are still out of those settings:

1. How is it hard to change which factions will be present in the world? I'd prefer to have less pre-space factions, they are relatively boring.
2. Is it possible to tweak the amount of space trader events? I usually have a lot of stuff around wave 10, still no traders appeared. And I really need them around that time, as a question of life and death (:
I just use the same faction settings from the core game. You can tweak them yourself by copying the FactionDefs folder from Core and placing a copy of it in the Wave Survival Defs folder, and then just modifying those XML files as you like. I don't plan on changing the faction settings.

I was already planning a new release for tonight, so I just went ahead and moved more of the variables to the XML to allow for even more tweaking. You can now modify the drop chances of all of the resources and weapons and the chance of traders arriving.

Also, Philbro was kind enough to design an AMAZING new Storyteller for Wave Survival Mode:

If you want to see more of Philbro's stuff you can check out his DeviantArt page here:
http://philbro.deviantart.com/

And with that, this will probably be the last update for the mod before the next release of RimWorld. I should be coming out with a Zombie addon within a couple days that will add a zombie faction that can spawn normal raids like every other faction. This way you can have waves of zombies in your Wave Survival games that won't spawn randomly (outside of the scheduled waves) like they do with Zombie Apocalypse.

Sheyka

hey hey i have some problems with the adjustments with the days between the waves.
i set the first attack to 20 days and then all 10 days a normal wave...
i can play normaly and all is fine. but if i load my savegame i cant klick on any button ... nothing works anymore. are there any fixes?

greetings
Sorry for bad english <3

Justin C

Quote from: Sheyka on June 29, 2015, 11:30:41 AM
hey hey i have some problems with the adjustments with the days between the waves.
i set the first attack to 20 days and then all 10 days a normal wave...
i can play normaly and all is fine. but if i load my savegame i cant klick on any button ... nothing works anymore. are there any fixes?

greetings
That's a known issue. Unfortunately if you want to reload you need to restart the client. I assume it's something about how the game loads/unloads resources between games. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix it.

Sheyka

sry, but i dont mean this issue ... the game load normaly if i had restart my client ... but if i am ingame ... i cant do anything ... i cant klick on my collonists or on any other button... and this only if i load a WSM (wave survival mode) ... if i load savegames without the mod i can play normaly and all is fine
Sorry for bad english <3

Justin C

Quote from: Sheyka on June 29, 2015, 02:33:08 PM
sry, but i dont mean this issue ... the game load normaly if i had restart my client ... but if i am ingame ... i cant do anything ... i cant klick on my collonists or on any other button... and this only if i load a WSM (wave survival mode) ... if i load savegames without the mod i can play normaly and all is fine
Well, I figured out what the problem was. I'm going to see if I can come up with a workaround that doesn't require me to completely remove the ability to tweak things in the XML.

I should have a fixed version up tomorrow. I will take another shot at the loading into a black screen issue again as well.

Justin C

All right guys, the new version is up on NexusMods - now with 100% more save-scumming!

All known issues are now fixed. Saving and loading should now work fine. I took care of the loading into the black screen issue while I was at it. The problem was simple and obvious, and I am dumb and bad for not having noticed it earlier.

The configurable variables have been moved to a configuration file in ConfigurationDefs. It's way less hacky than the way I was doing it in the previous release, plus it doesn't break the UI and make the game completely unplayable, which is always a plus.

Sheyka

thank you for your awesome work. now all works and all is fine :) i love you for you good support
Sorry for bad english <3

DAOWAce

Quote from: Justin C on February 27, 2015, 02:09:20 PM
Having this mod installed will not affect standard games in any way.
Unless you choose to change storyteller mid session and click it, then it activates and doesn't turn off regardless of whatever storyteller you choose.  Switching to a different storyteller just removes the countdown timer but leaves the "wave survival mode" text up and otherwise functions the same.

Removing the mod breaks the save.

Editing the save to remove the active map conditions fixes everything.

Is this fixable?  If not, might want to warn people to not click the storyteller unless they actually want to use it.

Moo

Quote from: DAOWAce on August 08, 2015, 02:39:16 AM
Is this fixable?  If not, might want to warn people to not click the storyteller unless they actually want to use it.

Wow, I just came here to post about this. Apparently turning on wave survival is a one-way ticket. If you switch storytellers it stays active... would be nice to put a warning on the info page about this.