[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Photon

Quote from: Latta on March 19, 2015, 10:05:11 PM
Quote from: Pink Photon on March 19, 2015, 09:12:25 PM
I hadn't realized the vents had directionality. I suspected that, but when I rotated it I didn't notice the little arrow change direction.
Will it be better if I make that arrow bigger?

Or make the input and output sides visually distinct.

Onyx

It seems as though when part of a network is disconnected physically, the network ID doesn't change. As you might expect then, heating/cooling behaves as if it were connected.

Right now I've got two ductwork networks that are not physically connected, but were previously. They both have ID 407, and the second part of the network is not actually connected to any industrial cooler at all. Yet the rooms are still staying at their precise temperatures.

edit: So I've tried to place a duct network several times after removing it; each time it comes up with the same network ID as before, but it's isolated from any other network.

edit2: It appears that the network ID may fix itself after restarting the game? I previously just tried exiting to the main menu and reloading the colony, but that didn't work. The disconnected network still has a temperature of 20F after restarting though. There shouldn't be anything feeding into it, and the rooms which have smart duct fans are all sitting at 70F.

Latta

Quote from: Onyx on March 21, 2015, 06:11:04 PM
It seems as though when part of a network is disconnected physically, the network ID doesn't change. As you might expect then, heating/cooling behaves as if it were connected.

Right now I've got two ductwork networks that are not physically connected, but were previously. They both have ID 407, and the second part of the network is not actually connected to any industrial cooler at all. Yet the rooms are still staying at their precise temperatures.

edit: So I've tried to place a duct network several times after removing it; each time it comes up with the same network ID as before, but it's isolated from any other network.

edit2: It appears that the network ID may fix itself after restarting the game? I previously just tried exiting to the main menu and reloading the colony, but that didn't work. The disconnected network still has a temperature of 20F after restarting though. There shouldn't be anything feeding into it, and the rooms which have smart duct fans are all sitting at 70F.
Strange, I had no problem. Can you post a screenshot with overlay enabled?

Onyx

Quote from: Latta on March 21, 2015, 11:44:50 PM
Quote from: Onyx on March 21, 2015, 06:11:04 PM

Strange, I had no problem. Can you post a screenshot with overlay enabled?

I just tried again and I couldn't reproduce it. That's really weird. Maybe it had something to do with the number of smart fans I had? I had about 16 I think, and I've since restructured my cooling into 3 distinct networks rather than having 1 industrial cooler do all of them. I couldn't figure out how to have bedrooms at 70F and freezers at 10F on the same network. I thought the network temperature (which was like 10F) would determine what a smart vent could output at, but it doesn't seem like that's so. How should I have done that?

Latta

I was assuming that you accidentally connected two networks. Although they seem to be separate visually, than can connect to neighboring cell.

Also, yes, the net's temperature determines smart fans' output. Building a lot of pipes and/or components will make net bigger and controlling its temperature harder, and will require more fans(or holes) placed at source room but it's not why nets were 'separated but connected.'

Smart fan will work in this way:
Say you want your bedroom at 70F(target temperature). current room's temperature 100F, and net's temperature is 10F. As room's temperature is warmer than both 70F and 10F, the fan will open and try to cool the room.
When room gets colder and go 80F, and net 95F, though your room is still warmer than 70F, the fan will now close itself to prevent net temperature of 95F to leak.
Finally, if both your room and net's temperature successfully go 70F, smart will close again so room go no colder. In this case, net can be colder and colder again as all smarts should be closed now.

Did you build powered fans at cooling room? As they are a bit powerful than holes, they require powered fans at other side to be effective.

Onyx

Quote from: Latta on March 22, 2015, 07:36:13 PM
I was assuming that you accidentally connected two networks. Although they seem to be separate visually, than can connect to neighboring cell.

Also, yes, the net's temperature determines smart fans' output. Building a lot of pipes and/or components will make net bigger and controlling its temperature harder, and will require more fans(or holes) placed at source room but it's not why nets were 'separated but connected.'

Smart fan will work in this way:
Say you want your bedroom at 70F(target temperature). current room's temperature 100F, and net's temperature is 10F. As room's temperature is warmer than both 70F and 10F, the fan will open and try to cool the room.
When room gets colder and go 80F, and net 95F, though your room is still warmer than 70F, the fan will now close itself to prevent net temperature of 95F to leak.
Finally, if both your room and net's temperature successfully go 70F, smart will close again so room go no colder. In this case, net can be colder and colder again as all smarts should be closed now.

Did you build powered fans at cooling room? As they are a bit powerful than holes, they require powered fans at other side to be effective.

The two networks were more than 8 cells apart and were definitely not connected in any way. I'm running v21b, not 22 so that change to the AirNet isn't in my version. I had two high powered duct fans in the cooling room. I still couldn't get a freezer to, well, freeze, while on the same network as my bedrooms.

Latta

Quote from: Onyx on March 23, 2015, 01:23:49 AM
The two networks were more than 8 cells apart and were definitely not connected in any way. I'm running v21b, not 22 so that change to the AirNet isn't in my version. I had two high powered duct fans in the cooling room. I still couldn't get a freezer to, well, freeze, while on the same network as my bedrooms.

As my codes are now 22 and whole mechanics changed, I can't help you. Sorry. :'(

Kaballah

I don't quite understand how these constructions work together.  I have a very cold colony base (Tundra) and I want to build a central heating system with duct work to pass heat to individual rooms rather than all these damn space heaters which are unsafe and clunky etc.  How do I hook things up?  I thought you were supposed to build an industrial heater, connect ducts to it, and build smart fans at terminal points in rooms, but the network temperature shows -25C.  How do I get heat into the duct network?

Look carefully at the vents, you will see an intake vent which you need to put on the feed side (in the room with your heaters/coolers) of your duct network.  The vents with coloured arrows are outputs.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.