[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latta

21: Introducing intersection points, with separate lightweight vent mod(20b).

You have 3 more components: Underground duct entrance, exit and extended exit. These are examples of intersection points.
You must build entrance first no matter what. Be warned; deleting an entrance will also delete all exits connected to it.

But please note this: You can't build like "Bad" situation, as both entrance and exit will be connected with crossing pipe line, resulting in all of them in same AirNet.

One entrance can be connected with multiple exits. You can do something like this.

I absolutely want to make a single pieced intersections, but there are just not enough time! Also, I like central climate control room that has both functions to heat and cool, rather than individual hot/cold rooms, so I doubt I'll use these in soon...
I can use it to make a freezer deep in my mountain base though.

Darkhymn

Quote from: Latta on March 13, 2015, 08:21:38 AM
21: Introducing intersection points, with separate lightweight vent mod(20b).

My hero!
All of the work you put into the rest looks great, and I'm extremely thankful that you took the time to release just the vents!

UMK

You know you could just make two separate types of pipes and joint points between them. This will be much easier for you and for players.

Latta

Quote from: UMK on March 13, 2015, 09:50:17 AM
You know you could just make two separate types of pipes and joint points between them. This will be much easier for you and for players.
But wouldn't it require two seperate comp for almost everything? Like duct holes need both CompAirTrader and CompAirTraderSecond?

UMK

...and second type are just support pipes which can be connected only together and to junction.

Ratys

Quote from: Latta on March 13, 2015, 10:28:53 AM
But wouldn't it require two seperate comp for almost everything? Like duct holes need both CompAirTrader and CompAirTraderSecond?

It might be viable to add an "index" field in compnent's properties, so essentially the same component can be both CompAirTrader and CompAirTraderSecond. But, in my opinion, two completely separate sets oh pipes is a step in the wrong direction; it could be less of a hassle to add a gizmo that would unlink a pipe from it's current network and either try to create new network or attach it to an existing different one. Even then, with clever building it shouldn't be needed.

Unrelated; I missed the initial ducts update, even though I kept a tight look at what's going on with that signal net mod, so I'll say it now: this is amazing. It's one thing realizing it could be done, and a very different thing seeing it work!

Latta

This is my ongoing colony for the very first in-game test. Central temperature control room is located on left side of the picture with two High-powered duct fan. Two HPDF = 16 HPR = Almost one-way heat exchanging. :P

Also, justarandomgeek's Signal mode got updated with intersection block, but I can't get it to work properly as I changed all IntRot to IntVec3 in v20 to counter few bugs, related to splitting network.

Latta

Update news of 22:
I managed to reduce assembly scale by 11kb.(49->38) What a mess it was. Now all duct components will use same class instead of separated ones like DuctHole/HighPowerredDuctFan as well as customizable heat push rate via XML. As a side effect, you should change your save manually or start a new game so I won't release it soon.

Also, there was some change with airnet's temperature mechanic. It won't store plain value of average. Instead, each components should push its heat to net aka somewhat more realistic. The reason behind this is to make a pipe heater and/or pipe cooler.

Pink Photon

I can't get active vents to work properly. I have coolers set to cool the storage room to -20C, and vent some of the heat into a tiny room to the left. The left vent is set to 20C and the right to 22C. My understanding of how this should work is that if the temperature in the dining room falls below 20C, then the left vent will open, heating the dining room up until it gets to 20C. The right vent does the same thing to keep the temperature down to 22C. However, the vents appear to be working like regular vents. (I double checked to make sure they're powered.) The dining room ends up below freezing. If I manually close the right vent, then it heats up well past 20C. What am I doing wrong?

Latta

Check the 22 vent's direction. Make sure its arrow is facing dining room. 20 vent is working fine, I assume?

Pink Photon

I hadn't realized the vents had directionality. I suspected that, but when I rotated it I didn't notice the little arrow change direction.

Latta

Quote from: Pink Photon on March 19, 2015, 09:12:25 PM
I hadn't realized the vents had directionality. I suspected that, but when I rotated it I didn't notice the little arrow change direction.
Will it be better if I make that arrow bigger?

knacko

I'd love if there was vented doors. The vents aren't hugely attractive, and ducting is a bit overkill for a brand new base.

Latta

Quote from: knacko on March 20, 2015, 02:54:59 AM
I'd love if there was vented doors. The vents aren't hugely attractive, and ducting is a bit overkill for a brand new base.
Quote from: eatKenny on March 20, 2015, 12:14:44 PM
+1 for vented doors, keep base clean and simple

Updated to 22. Now, ventilation doors. Word of advice: It's not efficient as vents. Use vents when you need to equalize big rooms.
Note: You can use these with Vent only version of RedistHeat.

Building cost of all vents/ducts has slightly increased. Industrial cooler costs less steel but requires 100 silver instead.
AirNet mechanic has changed. The bigger your net, harder to control its temperature. Like big rooms.
Deleted low powered duct fan.
Source code is now on Git. Fork it freely if you want to.

New game is recommended if you made one or more duct holes/fans. Or, please check "Compatibility" section for how to make existing save file to be compatible with 22.