Pregnancy as another way to boost numbers

Started by TheLastOneOnly, April 02, 2015, 12:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Cross

There's also some people *cough* like me *cough* That refuse to make the ship, and have a "permanent" colony. So this would be nice because as Carly said it would add story.
Claims to know most things.

b0rsuk

What the OP and supporters really want is human farming. They go through contortions to justify it and give it a nicer name. I'm fine with some resources not being easily farmable.

A12 is going to have animal husbandry, and a dog or rabbit pregnancy should last long enough to make you dread farming mufallos or elephants.

Quote from: Carlyscarlet on August 19, 2015, 02:35:18 AM
Not sure if about rushing the process. Feels a bit gamey and silly even for this universe. Why would parents decide to rush their child to adulthood? What are the effects? Honestly, it feels like giving the player power to circumvent part of the game. If it does get added though, I think there should be penalties like them having no skills or passions.
Why ? Because player wants more colonists. Err, I meant pawns. Because he wants to run a corporation and grow more workers. Grow bionics, grow brains, grow personal shields, grow everything.

Carlyscarlet

Quote from: b0rsuk on August 19, 2015, 06:57:00 AM
What the OP and supporters really want is human farming. They go through contortions to justify it and give it a nicer name. I'm fine with some resources not being easily farmable.

A12 is going to have animal husbandry, and a dog or rabbit pregnancy should last long enough to make you dread farming mufallos or elephants.

Quote from: Carlyscarlet on August 19, 2015, 02:35:18 AM
Not sure if about rushing the process. Feels a bit gamey and silly even for this universe. Why would parents decide to rush their child to adulthood? What are the effects? Honestly, it feels like giving the player power to circumvent part of the game. If it does get added though, I think there should be penalties like them having no skills or passions.
Why ? Because player wants more colonists. Err, I meant pawns. Because he wants to run a corporation and grow more workers. Grow bionics, grow brains, grow personal shields, grow everything.
Exactly. Pregnancy, birth, and childhood shouldn't be easy nor should it be skipped. Having colonists grow up should be a long process because it is one that the majority of people go through. No speeding it up, no growing colonists. Why? Even though its futuristic there still should be some realism in the game. Vatgrown colonist and sped up childhood colonists really don't feel like they belong in a rimworld crashed ship ramshackle settlement. That's some illegal Urbworld stuff.

Toggle

Yeah, except nobody is ever going to have childs be worth anything then, since rimworld takes longer for less time compared to DF, and children will get to a maximum of like 4 years before a  new game.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Mr.Cross

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 19, 2015, 07:04:11 PM-snip-

Yes but you are forgetting that there are people who, Like me, would love to make a permanent colony and not fly off into the unknown.

Also, for those of you looking for something like this. Mr. Fappington is back, so he might be able to pull something like this off.

Toggle

Quote from: Mr.Cross on August 19, 2015, 07:40:20 PM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 19, 2015, 07:04:11 PM-snip-

Yes but you are forgetting that there are people who, Like me, would love to make a permanent colony and not fly off into the unknown.

Also, for those of you looking for something like this. Mr. Fappington is back, so he might be able to pull something like this off.

What's the longest time you've had your colony prosper for then?

Mr.Cross

Not very long, I suppose I should state that I love the Idea of having a proper colony (it's what attracted me to this game). But I always get screwed over, Whether from the story teller, or from my machine crashing.

The13thRonin

JimmyAgnt007

I think that in order for pregnancy and such to become a viable gameplay mechanic that the long term game needs to be developed a lot more.  A faster speed setting would be handy too but thats a minor thing. 

Maybe if interpersonal relationships gets implemented and more complex that late game becomes more of a challenge.  Instead of survival it is politics, say political factions form and such. 

Thats just an example though.  the point is that once survival is taken care of and raids arnt as much of an issue then there needs to be some other challenge that doenst matter in early games. 

Once we get something like that, that requires over a decade or two of play, THEN we can take pregnancy as a viable feature to implement.  Until then its just too early.

Vat-growing colonists on the other hand would be something we can do now.  Letting us control the types of new colonists we get but making it super expensive.  So that we just cant farm colonists with fields of vats and selling them as slaves or harvesting organs.

b0rsuk

I agree about late game challenges like politics - once your group becomes big enough, it splits into sub-groups. The line of division could be religion, origin (urbworld folks tend to band together, glitterworld with glitterworld, soldier types try to establish a junta, or if you have too many converted pirates or another faction they try to take over).

As for children, how about children that come with you in escape pod ? One of your colonist turns out to be 8 year old. What would be the consequences of this ? 25 carrying capacity. 2x skill gain (but capped at some value, like age... meaning an 8 year old would get a max skill 8 ). Vulnerable to diseases, fragile, but not necessarily infections and broken bones tend to heal faster. Alcohol way more harmful. Needs more time assigned to Joy or becomes unhappy.

FMJ Penguin

Interesting thread at the very least :)  Regardless I think folks are making a much bigger deal out of this "baby" thing than it really needs to and will likely ever end up being.
    My guess is it'll end up being something very very hands free that just adds flavor of sorts and story content and if your lucky a new healthy colonist to work with in the end. Or if you're even luckier still, an emotionally unstable mess from growing up around all that killing and ends up snapping and making out with the nearest boom-rat tell it explodes in his/her face (donno bout you guys but sounds hella entertaining to me. I'd love to read stories/histories like that on carvings/statues.
    Heck I'd rather gain an additional colonist that was because of my own drunken idiotic colonist's actions than get them completely free and without any say like it is now. Really dislike the random immigration in this game and DF for that matter. Least with your own births you'd have some forewarning. I spent more time killing my own dwarves because of overpop in DF than I spent killing enemies now that I think about it..... hahaha.. woops way off topic now...

But in all seriousness I'd guess it would work out something like this:

*Two pawns had a little too much brew one night and fooled around(without you knowing a thing about it of course).

*Oh look one of your pawns has a beer gut, or is it? Maybe it's an alien abduction! Only time will tell I guess. (pawn randomly throwing up for a few days. Already in the game so why not eh)

*3ish days later we have a baby which mom or dad just walks around with it strapped to their side or back or whatever while they go about their normal activities. Granted the baby itself has zero function and doesn't even need stats because well... there's no point yet. Adds "mystery" to what you'll get in the end this way I think ;)

*Few more days a child "poof" that follows them around and does well.... whatever they do. Again, no age or stats are shown during this time because they aren't needed. The player still has zero direct control. Maybe they follow around random pawns and pick up some skills watching others or spend all their free time muffalo tipping. Who knows or really cares cuzz it's all just an excuse for more interesting wacky stories to evolve.

*And then finally, if the lucky bugger has managed to survive your murderous ways, maybe a week or two in total in-game time we have an adult. Maybe you get to name the poor demented sob or something. But you get what you get and it may not be pretty :P

As far as the big hangup on "time" and "aging" fast enough is concerned.....meh, not really something you'd expect a "gamer" to have an issue with considering it's something every game does... well nearly every game needs to take some liberties on time scaling and especially games with reproduction of any kind simulated. If anything I'd say this game could get away with it in more ways than most because of the setting. Clone wars doesn't sound all that interesting to me though. I mean do we really need more mindless drones in this game?

Although if you're into the robot thing then you should give that MIA mod a shot as it really is pretty stellar. Pretty plain to see alot of tlc went into it.
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

Mikhail Reign

I'm all for them growing up on a regular timescale and it being not a valid way to increase colony size. I think it should be in there mostly to show that the pawns are people. People have kids - sometimes it's good, sometimes it bad.

I figure as far as it functioning ingame as a baby a pawn would be confined to a bed and fed treated similar to injured. It would also be a joy activity - colonists could interact with the baby and both would get a mood mod - good or bad. Toddlers/pretend would require a zone they would stay inside and would be on endless joy (schooling could be included), and once they hit 14 (youngest age of colonists) they become a regular colonist

Carlyscarlet

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on August 20, 2015, 04:10:10 PM
I'm all for them growing up on a regular timescale and it being not a valid way to increase colony size. I think it should be in there mostly to show that the pawns are people. People have kids - sometimes it's good, sometimes it bad.

I figure as far as it functioning ingame as a baby a pawn would be confined to a bed and fed treated similar to injured. It would also be a joy activity - colonists could interact with the baby and both would get a mood mod - good or bad. Toddlers/pretend would require a zone they would stay inside and would be on endless joy (schooling could be included), and once they hit 14 (youngest age of colonists) they become a regular colonist
This so much. Maybe a crib for when they are babies to toddlers, and then graduate to a real bed. Also, babies stay with their parents unless they are drafted. Maybe a daycare job to watch children when their parents are working or drafted (designated area which daycarers go to and where kids are put. They cannot leave the area and gain joy from it).

Toggle

akiceabear

Quote from: b0rsuk on August 20, 2015, 12:23:18 PM
snip

I quite like the idea that children could learn faster but their max level would be capped. Perhaps make them just a bag of meat until 5, after that they can start to do tasks but at (Age-5)/15 the efficiency of an adult, until they are 15. Also make them much more susceptible to infections/disease during their immaturity.

My prior suggestion about time slipping (fast forwarding) was more intended to provide something of an epilogue for those too impatient to play it out day by day. In general I think it would be cool to have a epilogue/post mortem of each colony - i.e. what were the major events that happened, who died, who triumphed, etc. If it captured screenshots at those crucial moments it would be even cooler, a little flip book to remember - but that's a totally different suggestion, of course.

I'd prefer slaving/androids to be the "quick labor" solution, rather than vat grown or ultra fast growing children.