[A17] Vegetable Garden [8/22/17]

Started by dismar, May 07, 2015, 10:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilponderroci

I love this mod.

I have stopped using it though.

I actually have a huge problem with not using it. (its just so good)

I find it has to many overlaps with other mods that use similar things.

it overlaps with any gardening centric mod or fertilizer production system, food production mod or anything that adds extra plants or cultivatable flora.

it is specifically not acting in a harmonious fashion with TropicKAPP or Medieval Times.
Two of the most essential mods out there.     

I also do not appreciate the resource plants. I love the idea! Dont get me wrong. I WOULD REALLY appreciate them IF I ever played flat maps... you see, I would totally dig it. (literally) :)

This mod deserves to be on the front page of the releases Thread every day! (it is in steam too!)

Please make it more modular or give it an options menu so we can select which cheese makes pizza, which cloth or bench does what or what type of coconuts you can get milk from. (there are many others)

As well as a number of other little tweaks.  (Some of what stigma says makes sense). 

For now I have, with a very heavy heart taken my first favorite mod out of my rotation. :'(

This is one of the types of work I would be willing to throw coffee money at if it was improved because I really dont want to not use it.

LiteEmUp

Quote from: Wilponderroci on August 05, 2017, 09:23:45 AM
I love this mod.

I have stopped using it though.

I actually have a huge problem with not using it. (its just so good)

I find it has to many overlaps with other mods that use similar things.

it overlaps with any gardening centric mod or fertilizer production system, food production mod or anything that adds extra plants or cultivatable flora.

it is specifically not acting in a harmonious fashion with TropicKAPP or Medieval Times.
Two of the most essential mods out there.     

I also do not appreciate the resource plants. I love the idea! Dont get me wrong. I WOULD REALLY appreciate them IF I ever played flat maps... you see, I would totally dig it. (literally) :)

This mod deserves to be on the front page of the releases Thread every day! (it is in steam too!)

Please make it more modular or give it an options menu so we can select which cheese makes pizza, which cloth or bench does what or what type of coconuts you can get milk from. (there are many others)

As well as a number of other little tweaks.  (Some of what stigma says makes sense). 

For now I have, with a very heavy heart taken my first favorite mod out of my rotation. :'(

This is one of the types of work I would be willing to throw coffee money at if it was improved because I really dont want to not use it.

question since i use both medieval times and vegetable garden mod: what "problems" does this mod do with medieval times??

Wilponderroci

the similar food items (cheese) that are created at different workbenches cannot be used with vegetable garden. All dried foods and jerked meats etc will be considered regular ingredients for recipes and consumed as well as canned, pickles etc. They are considered as one ingredient instead of a meal.  The little differences you might not notice. They certainly "work fine" meaning no errors. They do not work however as far as being aware of each others ingredients and using them accordingly. For instance I can make salted meat which takes 10 meat. I can then turn that into jerked meat and vice versa. I can also have 50 cheese and 200 tomatoes and all the flour etc I need to make pizza and I cant make a pizza bc its cheese from the medieval mod (correct me if im wrong but it was shit like this that made me stop using it, and the silly massively labor intensive resource plants).  I really wish I could have the oven and the prep table included with just the neutro flowers and extra vegetables in a stand alone.

Madman666

I must say plowed soil now is damn hard to construct with 15 fertilizer per tile. Unless you are getting raided literally every 5 minutes and making fertilizer out of lead stuffed raiders. Even one sunlamp worth of land needs 1300+ fertilizer, which is kind of crazy, in fact to the point of hydroponics being easier to construct and having better grow times. Its not only the sheer amount of food\wood you need for fertilizer, its the time you need to process all that into compost starter and then to fertilizer as well. I guess its balanced in its own way, but I liked it more, when it was straightforward nutrition to fertilizer, not to compost then fertilizer. Too much worktime for cooks. Plowed soil price could use a small decrease, because no matter how ridiculous it sounds - you can get steel and components faster than fertilizer in required amounts - so hydroponics are better.

But thats just my thoughts after latest run, thanks as always for this awesome mod)

alsoandanswer

i cant replace soil on marsh

it says the terrain here cannot support this

"If I quote some smart guy, then therefore I should be smart myself!" -alsoandanswer

dismar

Quote from: alsoandanswer on August 08, 2017, 08:43:57 AM
i cant replace soil on marsh

it says the terrain here cannot support this

You have another mod over writing the terrain def. You can try moving the load order of my mod around... but more then likely it's just broke due to the other mod.

And Thanks for the feed back Wilponderroci and Madman666. I will be looking into those things for the future. Like Medieval patch and soil cost. I don't currently use the medieval so it will take me time to look though it and see what is being done.

Canute

Madman666,
did you try to use the VG together with Fertile field mod ?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33063.0
This will adust some fertilizer cost and how fertizlier are made.
Make sure that "Fertile Fields" appears *after* "Vegetable Garden" in your mod load order.

Madman666

Quote from: Canute on August 09, 2017, 02:52:17 AM
Madman666,
did you try to use the VG together with Fertile field mod ?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33063.0
This will adust some fertilizer cost and how fertizlier are made.
Make sure that "Fertile Fields" appears *after* "Vegetable Garden" in your mod load order.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll try it out next run.

As for the feedback - I am glad to provide it, it is a fun experience playing with VG. Couple more things I would like to point out - vanilla Rimwolrd A17 changed some values in growtimes and crop yields, couple most worth of note - devilstrand got 100% fertility sensitivity and cotton as well. You adjusted devilstrand to vanilla level, but left cotton with 70% sensitivity and flax with atrocious 40%, which is a bit harsh considering you also need to process raw ingredients into cloth types. And it also takes away the sweetness from advanced hydroponics, which are not easy to set up en masse. Not to mention devilstrand is kind of easier to get lategame than flax now, because of raised sensitivity. I'd raised sensitivity on both flax (at least to 70-80% to let players take advantage from hydroponics) and cotton (to vanilla 100% my mistake, vanilla actually has 70%, instead maybe lower work amount needed for processing cotton a bit... by 1\4 or 1\3). Purely my own opinion again, its quite pleasantly playable even now, just a few rough edges here and there.

neltnerb

Quote from: Madman666 on August 09, 2017, 02:15:15 PM
Not to mention devilstrand is kind of easier to get lategame than flax now, because of raised sensitivity. I'd raised sensitivity on both flax (at least to 70-80% to let players take advantage from hydroponics) and cotton (to vanilla 100% my mistake, vanilla actually has 70%, instead maybe lower work amount needed for processing cotton a bit... by 1\4 or 1\3). Purely my own opinion again, its quite pleasantly playable even now, just a few rough edges here and there.

I would concur, in my experience trying to balance flax/devilstrand/cotton to make hyperweave I'm surprised that I need nearly as many flax field space as devilstrand, with barely any cotton field. Even with making bandage kits for medicine.

I haven't done the math, but intuitively I'd expect that field space would be more like 1:2:5 rather than 1:5:5.

dismar

Well you guys figure out a good balance and let me know  I've been busy at work no time to mod...

Madman666

I'll fiddle around with values, but balancing is rather subjective thing, what feels right to me, might be completely wrong for pretty much everyone else. I feel like stat wise flax should be between cloth and devilstrand, since it gives better stats than cloth, but not nearly as good as devilstrand. Because of high sensitivity, you can actually grow devilstrand slightly faster than flax which doesn't feel right. So I think a slight adjustment to flax's sensitivity is in order. Or devilstrand sensitivity nerf. I don't really like insanely long grow times (since it makes you use much larger fields to get what you need in one go and that can be done only on a big map, which often makes my PC suffer), so I'd go for flax sensitivity buff. I guess I'll fiddle around with values for my own run and if I find illusive equilibrium - I'll make a suggestion. Having fun with it anyways.

By the way - will you be implementing a universal fermenting barrel anytime soon? I think I saw you posting in a universal barrel mod thread. Just interested.

dismar

I already have the base code from the barrel built into my mod. No need to use that one.

And yes balancing does suck.

lakajadiwa

Is there any possibility of decreasing the chances of food spawning with cargo pods? This is honestly one of my main issues with the mod, that cargo pods constantly land with things like chocolate or tea. Thanks!

Madman666

Quote from: dismar on August 11, 2017, 04:26:39 PM
I already have the base code from the barrel built into my mod. No need to use that one.

And yes balancing does suck.

Good to know about the barrel. I guess working my ass off left me out of the loop. I'll say it again - having tremendous fun with the stuff this mod provides. I can't believe I used to avoid mods which add too much stuff. The only problem I am still having - breaking my eyes trying to choose the plant I want to sow in the zone. Small adaptable fonts are gouging my eyes out. I guess you didn't have the time or a way to circumvent that problem?

Canute

Quote from: lakajadiwa on August 11, 2017, 05:42:40 PM
Is there any possibility of decreasing the chances of food spawning with cargo pods? This is honestly one of my main issues with the mod, that cargo pods constantly land with things like chocolate or tea. Thanks!
No, if it can be traded, the trader will drop their junk into space and land before your feet.
If you don't want it at your base, keep it forbidden.