[A17] Skullywags Misc mods - Storage (UPDATED), Vents, coolers, Fabrics updated!

Started by skullywag, June 29, 2015, 06:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mufflamingo

Quote from: Canute on July 07, 2017, 03:20:14 PM
It is, the clothing rack is still in testing.

Ohh okayy. I'll just use a normal stockpile for the mean time then.  ;D
Bleeeee. . . . .

fidelfc

I've noticed that in the Extented Storage the pawns will only put the same kind of material in the racks. This creates a lot of wasting space since i use two spots for only one item.

Another thing is that the pawns don't always haul to the existing materials already in the Storage,  wasting even more space.

Are these the way that the storage should be working?

lorebot

Quote from: fidelfc on July 07, 2017, 08:36:34 PM
I've noticed that in the Extented Storage the pawns will only put the same kind of material in the racks. This creates a lot of wasting space since i use two spots for only one item.

Another thing is that the pawns don't always haul to the existing materials already in the Storage,  wasting even more space.

The Extended Storage racks (food baskets, pallets, skips, etc...) take up 2 spaces of floor space, but they allow the items on the rack to stack to far greater amounts than would normally fit in 2 spaces. The pallet for example will hold 575 units of wood, 2 squares of floor space can only hole 150 units so you're more than tripling your storage space.

The way the racks work you normally need to configure each rack to only hold 1 type of item for max efficiency. The latest build does restrict the racks so that your pawns will only load a rack with whatever is put on it first (if you put more than 1 type of item on the rack it doesn't work properly and is a limitation of the coding involved), so you don't technically need to manually configure each rack but I've found it still works best if you do.

Normally I'll only build racks once my normal storage areas are almost full. I then look to see what's taking up the most space and build a rack for that item, flag all of the items for hauling and watch as my haulers load up the rack. Then I look for the next item taking up the most space, etc.... Normally I need to build skips for wood and steel first (skips hold 975 units of stuff so they're even better than pallets but can't hold all the same stuff and have less beauty), then I usually need to build food baskets for my crops (corn, potatoes, rice, etc...), after that it's usually fabrics and other harvestable materials like medicines and such.

You can't really control where your pawns will haul items, but if the racks are set to a higher priority than other nearby storage (they're set to Important by default but you can up that to Critical or lower it to any other level you want) areas the pawns will usually fill them first. If you ever see items in a storage area that you'd rather have on a rack just go in to the storage settings and remove that item from the allowed list of the storage area, flag all the items for hauling, and watch as your pawns take them where you want them to be.

Canute

Skullywags,
i think its about time to add a better description to extended storage, the last weeks too many mention about this because they don't know how it works. like
Storage buildings that use the multistacking technique to allow you to stack more than 75 things in one cell while the other cell remain on normal stacksize limit and works as input field...
- temp. disabled: Also contains a freezer chest that can freeze the items within it.
- at development: clothing rack, use at own risk

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

fidelfc

Quote from: lorebot on July 07, 2017, 09:10:32 PM
Quote from: fidelfc on July 07, 2017, 08:36:34 PM

The Extended Storage racks (food baskets, pallets, skips, etc...) take up 2 spaces of floor space, but they allow the items on the rack to stack to far greater amounts than would normally fit in 2 spaces. The pallet for example will hold 575 units of wood, 2 squares of floor space can only hole 150 units so you're more than tripling your storage space.

The way the racks work you normally need to configure each rack to only hold 1 type of item for max efficiency. The latest build does restrict the racks so that your pawns will only load a rack with whatever is put on it first (if you put more than 1 type of item on the rack it doesn't work properly and is a limitation of the coding involved), so you don't technically need to manually configure each rack but I've found it still works best if you do.

Normally I'll only build racks once my normal storage areas are almost full. I then look to see what's taking up the most space and build a rack for that item, flag all of the items for hauling and watch as my haulers load up the rack. Then I look for the next item taking up the most space, etc.... Normally I need to build skips for wood and steel first (skips hold 975 units of stuff so they're even better than pallets but can't hold all the same stuff and have less beauty), then I usually need to build food baskets for my crops (corn, potatoes, rice, etc...), after that it's usually fabrics and other harvestable materials like medicines and such.

You can't really control where your pawns will haul items, but if the racks are set to a higher priority than other nearby storage (they're set to Important by default but you can up that to Critical or lower it to any other level you want) areas the pawns will usually fill them first. If you ever see items in a storage area that you'd rather have on a rack just go in to the storage settings and remove that item from the allowed list of the storage area, flag all the items for hauling, and watch as your pawns take them where you want them to be.

Thanks for the clarification, i still don't like how it works, but at least i know it's intended to work like this.

skullywag

There is no other way to do stack merging, Every mod that does overstacking is doing some version of this. So yeah this is how it works until Tynan adds some other storage mechanism to the game (if he does).
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

fidelfc

Quote from: skullywag on July 08, 2017, 12:11:33 PM
There is no other way to do stack merging, Every mod that does overstacking is doing some version of this. So yeah this is how it works until Tynan adds some other storage mechanism to the game (if he does).

I wasn't criticizing you, i know that the idea of the mod is this now and there are some limitations.

Storage Solutions keeps things neat for me, but i know that they use the normal stack size, so i'll probably mix the two mods.

thanks

jpnm92

I use the mod Smooth walls.
I just want to let you know that i can't build Better Vents in them, I mean i can place them but the worker won't construct nor does it give me any option when i right click.

I can deconstruct the smooth wall and then build a regular wall but as someone who always starts tribal it is quite painful until i research stonecutting

SpaceDorf

Quote from: jpnm92 on July 08, 2017, 04:04:13 PM
I use the mod Smooth walls.
I just want to let you know that i can't build Better Vents in them, I mean i can place them but the worker won't construct nor does it give me any option when i right click.

I can deconstruct the smooth wall and then build a regular wall but as someone who always starts tribal it is quite painful until i research stonecutting

If you use the Central Heating mod you can use the better vents and coolers graphics with RF's walls .. I had the same problem with the Concrete Walls.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

terkmc

I think I have encountered a bug. Using extended storage, whenever I switch map, like say on a raid of an outpost or item stash, when I switch back, the amount of item stored in the rack/skip have all been reduced to a single(abeit still increased compared to vanilla) stack whereas before I had the skip all filled.

Canute

terkmc,
it is a know bug, because your storage is build over a conduit/pipe/duct.
Replace either the conduit or the storage. Or try to get the latest build skullywag mention he allready fixed it.
https://github.com/Skullywag/ExtendedStorage

stigma

Been using extended storage a while.
I really like it - I also found out that modding the XML to set your own sizes as you like was easy (at least I haven't seen any issues from it).

The only thing I don't like is that that they are all 2x1 sized. I guess that may also be a limitation of the multistacking method though...?

IMO you need this, stackXL - or some combo of the two (like I do) to handle inventory in this game or it goes all out of wack pretty fast with needing so much space that half your base is either storage rooms or junk lies around in every open tile you have.

-Stigma

Canute

Let me guess you are a messy ? :-)) I never needed stackXL myself, beside the many different leathertype i don't have problems to store resources/manufactured.
Yes there is no way to remove the 2x1 size limit. You only can set the stacksize for all items like stackXL, but not for single tiles.
But you can spawn stacks with no limit, that feature use the storage. The script just take both stack from the fields and add them together and spawn a new stack with the combined size.